TB won't start and am at wits end.

Bishop

Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
First off, let me lay down what is happening and what I have done so far. For some time now my TB has been a little difficult to start. I ran the codes on it and the O2 sensor and something concerning the throttle body was called out. At the time i couldn't do anything about it. Here about a week ago on a Friday, the TB decided to be a real pain to start and when it did, it ran rough then died and stayed dead. Now what I get is the engine turning and sputtering as if it is trying to start. I smell fuel and I hear the fuel pump priming. In the last year I have changed out the fuel pump, it went out shortly after the sending unit portion stopped working. After that I put in new spark plugs, AC Delco's, and after having a diagnostic ran on the TB, the camshaft postion sensor. Not much improvement but the vehicle was operable. Now, since then vehicle has stopped running, I replaced the crankshaft position sensor (had a new one given to me when a friend sold his TB), and also checked if i was getting spark from the coil packs(yes I have spark.). I also pulled and cleaned the crap out of my throttle body, damn that thing was filthy. Now I am at an impass, I know not what to do and after searching through the forums I decided to seek advice directly. I really don't want to go to a garage and have this looked at because I probably couldn't afford them anyway. Please help. BTW, I do try to stay away from the 10% ethanol gas but don't always win that fight. If it would help, I could upload a video of me trying to start the vehicle, just need to find my camcorder. Again, please help.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Look at the fuel pressure regulator for any leakage. If it's wet with fuel then replace it. Yes a vid would be great.

Einst-Hawk

Jan 31, 2014
Welcome to GMTNation. Sorry about your situation.

Could your fuel injectors be clogged? Have you changed the fuel filter? You mentioned changing the fuel pump. Maybe some garbage got into the lines during that process.

My bad: I did not look to see when you had joined

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I thought the FPR was in the tank. I could be wrong on that. The actual codes might also help.
The fuel filter on the 2007 is in the tank.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
What's your mileage, and any other maintenance history?

CEL on now? Any codes?

Did you pull the battery during the throttle body cleaning to force it to relearn the behavior of the clean TB?

If you had a code for an O2 sensor, do you have the exact code, did you look at the raw data from the sensor, or did you replace the sensor if that's what the code implied to do?

Air, spark, fuel is the chant for failure to start.

How's your air filter?

Alternatively, the MAP and MAP sensors have been implicated in failures to start. Again, rather than shotgunning, a competent mechanic with a decent high end scan tool can point you on the path to a DIY fix. Sometimes, there are competent come-to-you mechanics. Check Yelp for references.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
As The Roadie said look at your MAF, since you have a 2007, and clean it out. I had mine off one time while cleaning the TB and it would not start until I put the Air tube back on for the air to flow through the MAF.

The others, especially The Roadie, covered it all.

Bishop

Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Well, I had the TB looked at and it was the damn fuel pump again, low pressure. I should be able to go pick it up here in a little bit. Would have done the job myself but I don't have the same resources that I had when I was in the Navy. ugh, hope this one lasts more than a year.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online