TB Sounds Like an Airplane Taking Off!!

Slugger89

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Hi all,
So my 2005 TB sounds like an airplane getting ready to take off... This started about a month ago, every time I start the car up after sitting for a couple hours it sounds very loud for about a minute to three minutes. I usually let it warm up for roughly 1-2 minutes and after I start driving it will stop in 2 minutes. I have no clue what it is but it is annoying and I'm sure it is not suppose to be there. BTW my Trail B has roughly 85k miles and is well maintained as far as routine services. If you have any questions regarding my TB ask and I will give them to you asap. Thanks in advance to everyone.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
That's *the* classic sign of a dying fan clutch. A few discussions about it here you can find with a search. Don't recall that anybody's written a How-To article but I may be wrong. It can be an easy swap or a frustrating challenge, depending on how hard the center nut is engaged to the water pump threaded center. I've been successful with the "whack a huge crescent wrench" trick. Many others rent or buy the special tool to hold the water pump pulley still and use brute force on the fan clutch nut.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
while on fan clutch noise. is it normal to hear it all all during start up?? here is what my rainier sounds like after starting her up. normal bad? whats the good word mr. roadie

[video=youtube_share;nEeogEQTr58]http://youtu.be/nEeogEQTr58[/video]

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Your 20 second noise that sounds like a shop vac that cuts off suddenly is the SAIS turbine air pump, not the fan clutch. Entirely normal on cold starts. It's mounted to the frame rail under the driver's seat. Bend over and confirm that.

1-2 minutes of high speed fan noise is also normal for fan clutches, depending on how the silicone fluid drains back when it's parked. It's sort of a random thing what position the valve is when the engine stops, so it may vary from day to day.

What should not happen is a constant fan noise like an F16 on afterburner for 10+ minutes after start-up

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
the roadie said:
Your 20 second noise that sounds like a shop vac that cuts off suddenly is the SAIS turbine air pump, not the fan clutch. Entirely normal on cold starts. It's mounted to the frame rail under the driver's seat. Bend over and confirm that.

1-2 minutes of high speed fan noise is also normal for fan clutches, depending on how the silicone fluid drains back when it's parked. It's sort of a random thing what position the valve is when the engine stops, so it may vary from day to day.

What should not happen is a constant fan noise like an F16 on afterburner for 10+ minutes after start-up

Thanks roadie. i thought by peoples descriptions that the noise i hear every morning was the fan clutch.... i never hear this other F-16 jet noise you speak of. good to know thanks alot man

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online

No members online now.