TB: Master Door Switch & DIC questions

skeven

Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Recently acquired a 2006 LS TrailBlazer, complete basic stock.

Came with a dead master door lock switch, swapped with the passenger and the window worked -- proving the master switch is dead.
Does anyone know if the ACDelco switches need to be programmed or should I attempt searching salvages for the part.

Also, how hard would it be for someone with not a whole lot of car experience to perform a DIC upgrade? My cluster is not DIC-ready (it's just the plain odometer & not the "Odometer: xxxxxx" display)?
I understand that an upgrade from the basic cluster to DIC will cost $250 and upwards, but is it worth it? Would it also be advisable to look to salvage a DIC cluster?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, I'm just anxious to give my TB the treatment it deserves since the previous owners neglected it.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
If you buy the driver's door module brand new, it will need to be programmed. A used one should be plug and play,
no programming necessary.

Sorry I can't help with the DIC info...mine came with it. I'm sure someone else will be able to help.

Good Luck!

Chris

skeven

Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Thanks Chris, I've been collecting info on some nearby junkyards to call tomorrow morning, so I'll have to start asking around.
Since I found the tutorial on using the passenger module to test the driver's side, most were long-since closed for the day.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
skeven said:
Recently acquired a 2006 LS TrailBlazer, complete basic stock.

Came with a dead master door lock switch, swapped with the passenger and the window worked -- proving the master switch is dead.
Does anyone know if the ACDelco switches need to be programmed or should I attempt searching salvages for the part.

Also, how hard would it be for someone with not a whole lot of car experience to perform a DIC upgrade? My cluster is not DIC-ready (it's just the plain odometer & not the "Odometer: xxxxxx" display)?
I understand that an upgrade from the basic cluster to DIC will cost $250 and upwards, but is it worth it? Would it also be advisable to look to salvage a DIC cluster?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, I'm just anxious to give my TB the treatment it deserves since the previous owners neglected it.

I did the DIC upgrade on my TB LS. Managed to score a junkyard DIC cluster from an Ebay vendor for about $75. The big hit to the wallet comes when you go to get the cluster programmed with the milage accurate to your vehicle. Here's a link to the post I made with the details of how I did it, plus a couple minor 'upgrades' :wink: Is your truck 2WD or 4x4? If you are 2WD and want to save a few $$$ you can skip upgrading your steering wheel (for the control buttons) and clockspring, and remove the 4x4 place holder to install 4 momentary buttons to wire up as the DIC control buttons. There's 4 pins the DIC cluster has, that the non DIC cluster doesn't have, those pins need to be connected to a ground point via the momentary buttons, and that's it. A few posts below the first one I gave you, details what those pin numbers are. :thumbsup:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
An 06 with a bad DDM may be covered under the latest recall depending where it was originally put into service. You might want to check that out. There is a thread here somewhere on that issue.

skeven

Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Blckshdw said:
I did the DIC upgrade on my TB LS. Managed to score a junkyard DIC cluster from an Ebay vendor for about $75. The big hit to the wallet comes when you go to get the cluster programmed with the milage accurate to your vehicle. Here's a link to the post I made with the details of how I did it, plus a couple minor 'upgrades' :wink: Is your truck 2WD or 4x4? If you are 2WD and want to save a few $$$ you can skip upgrading your steering wheel (for the control buttons) and clockspring, and remove the 4x4 place holder to install 4 momentary buttons to wire up as the DIC control buttons. There's 4 pins the DIC cluster has, that the non DIC cluster doesn't have, those pins need to be connected to a ground point via the momentary buttons, and that's it. A few posts below the first one I gave you, details what those pin numbers are. :thumbsup:

Mine is in fact a 2WD and I've seen the DIY buttons on the blank cap above the wiper control. Saw a bit of talk about a custom fabbed console piece to pop in there with OEM-style buttons -- not sure how that ended up though. Was aware of the pins, but this is a first hearing about programming the cluster with the correct mileage. I might have to put this a little down on my list since I'm not aware of any local places that will or I can trust to program (mostly chains and sketchy shops around here), that and the added cost. However I'm loving your LED interior lighting mod and that's definitely going on my list.

Denali n DOO said:
An 06 with a bad DDM may be covered under the latest recall depending where it was originally put into service. You might want to check that out. There is a thread here somewhere on that issue.

Thanks, I'll go looking for the thread it. Could save me $75-150

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
skeven said:
Mine is in fact a 2WD and I've seen the DIY buttons on the blank cap above the wiper control. Saw a bit of talk about a custom fabbed console piece to pop in there with OEM-style buttons -- not sure how that ended up though. Was aware of the pins, but this is a first hearing about programming the cluster with the correct mileage. I might have to put this a little down on my list since I'm not aware of any local places that will or I can trust to program (mostly chains and sketchy shops around here), that and the added cost. However I'm loving your LED interior lighting mod and that's definitely going on my list.

You may want to fill out your vehicle info in your profile, that will help other members assist you with troubleshooting and answering questions if they know what you're driving up front. :yes:

The OEM buttons mounted above the rear wiper controls didn't get much demand, so that vendor didn't produce very many for very long. I would have wanted a set if I knew I was going to go this route back then. :frown: As for getting your mileage programmed, shops need a special license for it, as I found out when I asked Carmax to program mine and they said they weren't cleared for it. It cost me $125 for mine, and it took the guy all of maybe 10 minutes to do it.

:thankyou: on the LEDs. They're fun, cheap, and addictive once you know what you're doing. :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online