T-stat again?? UHG!

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Keeping it short and sweet.

It was slightly chilly yesterday(close to 70 degrees) and as I was driving down the road at about 45 mph, I noticed my Temperature gauge was 2 lines to the left. We JUST put a new t-stat in less than 2 months ago. Getting on the gas did cause the temp to rise a bit, but I had already been driving it for about 7 minutes.

I know it's a fairly common thing in these trucks, but what would cause a t-stat to go bad in less than 2 months? It was an OEM brand new t-stat.

Thanks

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Hmmm, do you have access to a scan tool? One that can actually display real-time data? I wonder if your temp sending unit is bad, the tstats are common, but the sending units are fairly common as well.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Ur guage is just a dummy gauge. Its not actual temp. U need to check real time temp. to make sure its a bad therm.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I didn't think about either of those. I don't have a scan tool at all. Is it something autozone can do or do I need to take it to a shop and have it done?

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Voymom said:
I didn't think about either of those. I don't have a scan tool at all. Is it something autozone can do or do I need to take it to a shop and have it done?

Probably neither. The water temperature sensor may be able to be bench tested using a pot of boiling water, a known accurate thermometer, and a multimeter. I'll look up the specs after work (90-ish minutes) and see what the resistance ranges are on an OEM sensor.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Voymom said:
You can buy the scanner and have to read your codes and monitor things like this. :wink:

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
kardain said:
Probably neither. The water temperature sensor may be able to be bench tested using a pot of boiling water, a known accurate thermometer, and a multimeter. I'll look up the specs after work (90-ish minutes) and see what the resistance ranges are on an OEM sensor.

If I'm reading the service manuals right, should be ≈177 ohms across pin b to ground when in 100* c water. Pin b is the yellow wire, ground is the threads.

However there is only a pass/fail test GM uses. The sensor is considered disposable.

FlyingFischer

Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
This is one of the reasons I got a scangauge II. That way I can get the actual temp readout of the water temp, trans temp, and many other parameters. Best money spent.:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online