Sway and bushings, need to do end lnks? Newbie here.

IPT

Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
2002 LS trailblazer with 70K on it. Since day one I have hated the handling and bodyroll in this truck. I finally got some tools and decided I want to upgrade. I am leaning toward the Hotchkis rear swaybar package with the front and rear bushings (unless you have other recomendations). I also understand there are 3 different size front swaybars, how can I tell what size mine is?

Recently there is some squeak in the suspension but there is no banging or noise otherwise to suggest something is wrong. So the question is do I need to do the end links? Is it stupid not too? I think it'll add about $200 to the cost, right? Money is one issue, and the other is fear of being unable to get the upper bolts out. I have a dremel and cutoff wheel, and a sawzall, just never did this type of thing (cutting off bolts). Am I making mountains out of molehills?

Can you help a newbie out with some info and confidence? From what I have read aside from some PITA bolts this a fairly basic job and something I can cut my teeth on. Thoughts?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome!

I wouldn't change the end links until they clunk.

The sway bar can be measured if you have one of the $10 on sale Harbor Freight digital calipers, or a set of large metric wrenches you can use as go/no-go gauges. Or take a crescent wrench to the bar, adjust the jaws to touch the bar, then take it off and measure it. Measure the circumference with a piece of paper and then do the math (divide by pi) to get the diameter. Math isn't useless. :wink:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online