Swapped steering wheels...air bag lite on

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Hey guys...have my 2005 GMC Envoy XL SLT....finally swapped my SLT base steering wheel for a Denali OEM wood wheel. Now the service air bag lite is on. Assuming this is normal if the bag is disconnected from the steering wheel? Can a run of the mill shop take care of that light or does a GM shop have to do it?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Where'd you get yours from? I think I saw a reference to Autowoods, in another thread. Did your new wheel not allow you to reconnect your airbag or something?

mnypitTBEXT

Jan 29, 2012
This happened to me when I did mine. Make sure your plugs to the airbag itself are all the way in. Mine looked like they were in, but one wasnt quite clicked in. If they look OK, reseat them. Once you check and reseat everything, let it sit with the battery disconnected for about 20 minutes and reconnect it.

mnypitTBEXT

Jan 29, 2012
Or did you leave the airbag disconnected? If you did, no dealer will touch it. Not sure if someone with a Tech 2 or a HPtuners can turn it off or not.

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
well my friend disconnected the air bag ... it was the only way for us to remove the steering wheel. I got the wheel from a online store on eBay.

mnypitTBEXT

Jan 29, 2012
05EnvoyXL said:
well my friend disconnected the air bag ... it was the only way for us to remove the steering wheel. I got the wheel from a online store on eBay.

I know you had to disconnect it, but Did you hook it back up?

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
oh ok lol sorry dude, been sick as a dog all day at work. I pulled it into the shop 10 mins ago, disconnected the NEG terminal from the battery, ill give it 20-30 mins and reconnect. ill check the connectors for the air bag as well. hoping that does the trick.

mnypitTBEXT

Jan 29, 2012
05EnvoyXL said:
oh ok lol sorry dude, been sick as a dog all day at work. I pulled it into the shop 10 mins ago, disconnected the NEG terminal from the battery, ill give it 20-30 mins and reconnect. ill check the connectors for the air bag as well. hoping that does the trick.

Yeah, I did mine, and it clicked on and everything, but the light came on. I pulled it apart again and unplugged them again and replugged them in. Then let it sit a while and reconnected the battery. Never came back on.

This is assuming you reused your old airbag? If not, you may want to put the old one back in.

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Problem solved dude. Unhooked NEG terminal from the battery for bout 30 mins and the light went out. All is well in Envoy Land now lol. Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it :thumbsup:

BTW the inside looks so much better now with the Denali woodgrain wheel. Best $102 i ever spent

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online