Suspension issues?

c bausch

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Hey guy i got 2 questions about my suspension symptoms
1, my rear suspension feels stiff for some reason , like i feel every bump on the road. I looked at my bds shocks and i pulled off the rubber boot and black liquid came out , i thought i broke a seal but cant tell till i take out the shock and test it. What do you think? And how the hell can my boot fill up with water? My shock ring is a little rusted from the liquid sitting on the seal. I also got new end links and are tight

2. I got new struts and mounts and sway bar bushings and links but after a decent sized bump and i think its on the slam down i feel and sounds like two hammer heads banging together ( don't try it ) like metal on metal feeling . i cant figure out what it is but i just about tried everything . Ball joints seem to be good and no extra play

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
1) sounds like your rear shocks maybe have partially seized up? take one off and see if you can compress it by hand and how stiff it is (should be stiff but not impossible to compress).

2) Crank down the sway end links tighter. I had the same and even though I thought they were tight they really weren't. I had to use a longer ratchet (with a swivel head, made it easier) to get the upper nut tight enough.

c bausch

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Ill try your ideas but i can tell you that the sound and feeling in the end is like a popping banging , only on decent bumps and dips , can it be the mounts? The struts and mounts were replaced in june this year

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Popping/banging, yup, sounds like what I had. It would be worth checking to make sure the mount bolts are tight too but those are less likely the issue IMO.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Rear shock mounting bolts have been known to make noise when loose depending on the sleeve and washers used.

Conventional wisdom on ORTB and some other offroad sites is to not use boots on shocks for precisely the reason you discovered.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
c bausch said:
Witch mount bolts?

The upper shock mounts. Just check all the bolts you can get to. I'm still hedging my bets on the endlinks though :biggrin:

c bausch

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Roadie , any idea how the shocks collect water? Mine were zip tied around the tube

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online