suspension and steering modifications?

cyberpunk

Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
Was wondering what type of modifications anyone has made for non lifted or lowered. I read that roadie was going to fabricate a disconnect style front sway link but could not find a picture to see what he did. Just wandering what people have done to get better handling and so on.

Can a moderator change the title please only supposed to have one modification. Not two.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
What's the goal? That helps with recommendations and suggestions. Plan on staying oem, lifting, lowering? What is it you want the mod to do?

Also, go to "edit" post, go advanced icon near save changes and you should be able to edit it yourself...

cyberpunk

Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
What's the goal? That helps with recommendations and suggestions. Plan on staying oem, lifting, lowering? What is it you want the mod to do?

Also, go to "edit" post, go advanced icon near save changes and you should be able to edit it yourself...

I want to stay within the oem range. No lowering or lifting. Just want better steering and handling in general. Wandering if there are recomendations for stuff like the sway bar bushings, end links and so on.. I want a stiffer ride with not as much sway I guess is what I am really saying.maybe a little off roading(seldom) seeing as there is almost no place to do so here in ohio.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
cyberpunk said:
I want a stiffer ride with not as much sway I guess is what I am really saying. maybe off roading seeing as there is almost no place to do so here in ohio.

:lipsrsealed: There are a few guys here that offroad Ohio. Cleveland might get a little sketchy. :wink:

All depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of "stiffness" you want. Do a few searches in the bar above. Bilstein HD's, Belltech sp shocks, Hotchkiss sway bar, suspension maxx links to name a few.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
How worn are your end links? Roadie is fabbing up some quick disco end links that several of the off-roaders have.

cyberpunk

Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
The front links are pretty worn out should replace them. Can get them from ads for about 32 each oem the truck just seems like the entire suspension is soft. Whether I hit a bump or just taking turns.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I was evaluating disconnectable end links from SuspensionMAXX, and they never made it into production. Earlier, I fabbed my own from a set made originally for JK's. Those also had problems. Now I don't bother to disconnect them in the front anymore. My rear links and sway bar were permanently removed.

You didn't share your mileage, but I replaced my front shocks at 9000 miles while they were still in warranty, because the OEM black Bilsteins were made-to-cost, not to performance, and the aftermarket yellow/blue Bilsteins were NIGHT AND DAY better. Assuming you have no looseness in your ball joints or tie rod ends or end links, simply change your shocks for the best suspension feel upgrade possible. If you have 100K or more miles, they are WAY overdue. Rears too.

cyberpunk

Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
the roadie said:
I was evaluating disconnectable end links from SuspensionMAXX, and they never made it into production. Earlier, I fabbed my own from a set made originally for JK's. Those also had problems. Now I don't bother to disconnect them in the front anymore. My rear links and sway bar were permanently removed.

You didn't share your mileage, but I replaced my front shocks at 9000 miles while they were still in warranty, because the OEM black Bilsteins were made-to-cost, not to performance, and the aftermarket yellow/blue Bilsteins were NIGHT AND DAY better. Assuming you have no looseness in your ball joints or tie rod ends or end links, simply change your shocks for the best suspension feel upgrade possible. If you have 100K or more miles, they are WAY overdue. Rears too.

Sorry roadie my mileage 110,000, I bought it at 75,000 almost 3 years ago.
Side note now though, brake pad slipped seperated from it backing so went and got rotors and pads. Driver side went In fine with no problems but passenger side will not fit at all. Took wire brush to bracket, took emory paper to bracket, knocked of all signs of rust. Any thoughts? I think what I am going to do is take the pads and bracket with me to oreilly and do a test fit tomorrow on my lunch. The down side to this is I did not buy the truck my wife surprised me with as a gift.said I needed something more my style lol. Shes a chevy girl:wootwoot::thumbsup:

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
cyberpunk said:
Sorry roadie my mileage 110,000, I bought it at 75,000 almost 3 years ago.
Side note now though, brake pad slipped seperated from it backing so went and got rotors and pads. Driver side went In fine with no problems but passenger side will not fit at all. Took wire brush to bracket, took emory paper to bracket, knocked of all signs of rust. Any thoughts? I think what I am going to do is take the pads and bracket with me to oreilly and do a test fit tomorrow on my lunch. The down side to this is I did not buy the truck my wife surprised me with as a gift.said I needed something more my style lol. Shes a chevy girl:wootwoot::thumbsup:

That's really bizarre.

Does it look like the pad should fit to the naked eye?

Did you save the clip thing that goes between the bracket and the pad? Are you sure it is in the right way?

cyberpunk

Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
xtitan1 said:
That's really bizarre.

Does it look like the pad should fit to the naked eye?

Did you save the clip thing that goes between the bracket and the pad? Are you sure it is in the right way?

yes pads are correct and everything seems ok. Like I said the pads literally will not fit.:confused:

cyberpunk

Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
cyberpunk said:
yes pads are correct and everything seems ok. Like I said the pads literally will not fit.:confused:

UPDATE*

sorry been really busy at work. turned out the amount of rust was the culprit and just got new caliper mounts ($15.00 each)

looking into the shocks and struts seems like i am going to see if i can get a pair of bilsteins i found the 4600 series but really not much else.

what is anyones opinion on kyb struts?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online