Suspension and Brake Parts Replacement

Inferno333

Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
It's time to move on from the engine repairs that were done this fall and do more work on this thing since my wife is probably going to start driving for Uber.

2006 TB 5.3L (Non-DOD now. :smile:)
I bought it with ~75k and it has 130k now. I haven't done any suspension or brake parts other than a wheel bearing and outer tie-rods

History:
I had the lifters all replaced with the non-DOD and associated parts along with a reflash from PCM. My mechanic replaced all the exhaust manifold bolts with stainless since half were broken. He also found a bad axle seal and fixed that. It runs great now!

Next step:
I had the right wheel bearing changed with the above work. The left is going now so another Timkin is being ordered.

The brakes are due since the rear rotors are rusting out. I'll have him flush the fluid too.

I've had good luck with PowerStop rotors and pads before. Anyone have experience with these on a TB? I was looking at this set. https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4659852&cc=1432192&jnid=533&jpid=2

I'm also looking to see if I should go ahead and get some new suspension parts for it while my mechanic has it on the lift. Any recommendations here? There's a little steering wheel shake at highway speeds, but I haven't noticed any funny noises. I don't drive it a whole lot though.

Tips please! Thanks guys. You've been super helpful thus far.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The wheel wobble may be ball joints, but if the other hub is going it could also be caused by that. As for rotors, a few people use the brake motive kits, others delco and so on. I have the duralast cmax platinum on mine and they bite really well and there isn't much dust on the rims after 10k between washes.

Reactions: xavierny25

Inferno333

Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
The wheel wobble may be ball joints, but if the other hub is going it could also be caused by that. As for rotors, a few people use the brake motive kits, others delco and so on. I have the duralast cmax platinum on mine and they bite really well and there isn't much dust on the rims after 10k between washes.

That's what I wasn't sure on. I couldn't remember if the hub caused any wobble before. Brakemotive does not have any parts available for the TB according to the little search on their website.

Also to note is that I would like to order from RockAuto since I have a discount code for them.

They don't seem to have the ACDelco coated rotors for the front on there. I'd get those if they were available.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

Inferno333

Original poster
Oct 9, 2014

I wish they weren't all drilled rotors. I'm not a fan of them.

I was very surprised to find out that the company called Mev-O-Tech was selling the Major Front End Components like the Upper and Lower A-Frame armatures with Brand New Bushings and Ball Joints Pre-Installed. The images attached are of one Lower A-Frame Arm for my '93 Camaro. These ran about $80-100 a unit... but with the Ball Joints installed and the inclusion of the Zerk Fittings and the holes for greasing in the Ball Joint Base being Pre-Drilled ... I thought that the price ranges were very reasonable. There site is located at www.mevotech.com

I saw that package on RockAuto. Definitely interesting. Any feedback on them for the TB?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just for your info, I have not had good experiences with Mevotech. Their stuff is made in China and it shows. I once got a tie rod that was cracked at the hollow threaded end and their lower ball joints' seals would not stay put so they failed by allowing dirt and water in.

Reactions: mrrsm

Inferno333

Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Just for your info, I have not had good experiences with Mevotech. Their stuff is made in China and it shows. I once got a tie rod that was cracked at the hollow threaded end and their lower ball joints' seals would not stay put so they failed by allowing dirt and water in.

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like I'll stay away from them.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Moog is known for suspension parts... Timken for bearings. My moog sway bar endlinks have 50k on them and no clunking... I also have them packed with one of the tackiest marine bearing greases I know of so there's that. Moog tie rods are of good quality.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Last edited:

Inferno333

Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Thanks guys! It's not really that much more to use all Moog parts instead of the Mevotech ones.

I'll probably just do the brakes and hub right now. My mechanic can do a once over on the suspension and see what all needs replaced soon.

Just put 3k into the engine to get it 100%. At least it's paid off next month. $366 left!

Inferno333

Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Is it worth it to just replace all the suspension parts that could be worn since it's over the 130k mark?

I'm pretty sure most or all of it have never been replaced.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Is it worth it to just replace all the suspension parts that could be worn since it's over the 130k mark?

I'm pretty sure most or all of it have never been replaced.

I just replaced my complete front suspension @ 180k on my 03 ext about 2 months ago.. bought the mevotech kit on rock auto, so mevotech upper/lower control arms with ball joints, mevotech inner/outter tie rods, mevotech end links, moog sway arm bushings, pepboys hubs, bilstein struts with mark mc 2 1/2" lift in front and shocks for rear, and brakemotive pads and rotors at all 4 corners.. roughly 1200 in parts and a couple hundred buck as a thank you to a buddy for helping me get everything done with an alignment..

so really the question is: Is it worth it to you? it was for me since previous owner had neglected the suspension for so long.. and im not ready to just "throw away" this tb yet.. lol

Inferno333

Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
That's what we're debating right now. The wheel bearing is obvious and would need to be done to make sure trade value is decent.

My tire wear has been good. Might just do the outer tie rods if we do any of it. I'll make a thread after searching for the issue that's arose in the past day.

Inferno333

Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Back to the brake parts! They have to be done in the next two weeks. Lots of nasty noises coming form the rear.

BrakeMotive doesn't have TB parts anymore. Ohh well.

I'm going with ACDelco Professional Durastop ceramic pads all around.

The question is on the rotors. RockAuto has the ACDelco ProDurastop rotors for the rear, but not the front. The only ACDelco fronts are the not-matching OEM style rotors. I have to have all matching. OCD takes over on somethings.

Any recommendations? And do I need the hardware kits? No drilled or slotted rotors. I don't trust them.

Inferno333

Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Their retail site has always been wrong and out of date. Did you check their ebay store? You should be able to get them there, if you wanted to.

I did check ebay. Oops. I just tried to go through the make search. They do still have TB stuff, but it's all drilled and slotted.

Inferno333

Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
I wanted to go through RockAuto since I have a 5% off code.

Just need good matching rotors.

jes1888

May 1, 2013
what's with that drilled/slotted set, it's it bad? Anybody here can give feedback of them? I'm looking for a good set of brakes and rotors for my 06 ascender without breaking the bank. I'm 2013 I put both front wheel bearings moog branded, and they've hold well and worked perfectly,I do have the 3 stability control lights (the skid one, the service stabilytrak system and abs) but i think that's because of the clockspring on the steering wheel. Also have swapped the swaybar bushings, tie rod ends and the inside ones also and link kits moog branded also on 2013 and no problems so far. I'm happy with it! The only part haven't been to get of good quality is the lower control arm bracket with Quality bushings.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

Inferno333

Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
I just don't care for drilled rotors. They seem to crack and corrode faster.

Even my wife noticed a huge improvement with the Durastop pads and rotors. That's saying a lot. I haven't had the chance to drive it yet.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Brand new > worn out, so there should be a noticeable improvement :twocents:

Inferno333

Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Brand new > worn out, so there should be a noticeable improvement :twocents:

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm just pointing out that my wife actually noticed the work that was done. She could never understand or notice the feel and sound of wither of the wheel bearings going out. Before or after.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online