Surprise with throttle body

ryan

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
finally cleaned t.b. Im at 149100 miles have owned since new. when i removed it butterfly front and back clean as can be..alittle gummy build up on walls but not much..i was shocked thought it would be very dirty.Dont know if it has to do with i drive 600 to 800 highway miles a week..:undecided:

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
ryan said:
finally cleaned t.b. Im at 149100 miles have owned since new. when i removed it butterfly front and back clean as can be..alittle gummy build up on walls but not much..i was shocked thought it would be very dirty.Dont know if it has to do with i drive 600 to 800 highway miles a week..:undecided:

I often wondered if they stay a little cleaner now that they use ethanol in the gas seeing its a solvent.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
vipergg said:
I often wondered if they stay a little cleaner now that they use ethanol in the gas seeing its a solvent.

The fuel never hits the t-body. The t-body just controls air.

Brian K

Apr 5, 2012
I put on a Catch Can and this is keeping my TB cleaner. The crap comes from the PCV system. Every 5000 miles I clean the Catch can and get about 1/4 cup of dirty oil and other crap in the bottle.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I have an I6, and I clean my throttle body every year now, it always looks like crap. All my gas has 10% ethanol as well.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I cleaned mine on Saturday. was cleaned once before, and has around 145k on it. there was something to clean, not too bad, worse where the lip met. since this is crankcase fluid vapor stuff, use of synthetic oil and mostly road driving I think keeps the worst of it down. I bet there was more when I used cheaper oil and drove in traffic all the time.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
JerryIrons said:
There may be something to the synthetic oil aspect as mine is always dino oil. (napa)

Makes sense, the synthetic should be a little more stable and less susceptible to vaporizing.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
When I switched the TB over to Amsoil it was so much better. I don't have to clean it so often and when it is due it's not nearly as bad as it was on the dino oil.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Nope, it rests around 30%... The butterfly is used as the IAC so the space beween the butterfly and the TB along that 30% gets gradually wider to let more air by. It is why when they are dirty you lose idle...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online