Sudden p1515 and p1516 codes with stalling

Steveinfl

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I drove ~800 miles in the last few days, no problems at all. Was getting 19 mpg at 85 which I'm quite happy with. Got home went to bed. Took care of some errands today and the truck quit. I was ae to restart it after several attempts and get it running. Or so it seems, I'm not home yet, was on the way for a late lunch. Any thoughts?

Throttle body is regularly maintained bit hasn't been off in 6 months. Electrical connections haven't been tinkered with in any way.
uzypybu3.jpg

uquty4y6.jpg

Update: Finished lunch and car did not show a cel, I did not clear the codes which are still present. Made it home without a problem but …

I am leaning towards an intermittent short in the actuator somewhere. Will clean connections and such but the scan tool shows a linear progression regarding the throttle position sensor.

Started the car in the garage and vigorously shook applicable connectors and cords. No hiccups. Cleaned and reassembled.

Do throttle bodies intermittently fail?
I'm a bit confused at this point, considering buying a throttle body to keep as a spare.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Steveinfl said:
I drove ~800 miles in the last few days, no problems at all. Was getting 19 mpg at 85 which I'm quite happy with. Got home went to bed. Took care of some errands today and the truck quit. I was ae to restart it after several attempts and get it running. Or so it seems, I'm not home yet, was on the way for a late lunch. Any thoughts?

Throttle body is regularly maintained bit hasn't been off in 6 months. Electrical connections haven't been tinkered with in any way.
uzypybu3.jpg

uquty4y6.jpg

Update: Finished lunch and car did not show a cel, I did not clear the codes which are still present. Made it home without a problem but …

I am leaning towards an intermittent short in the actuator somewhere. Will clean connections and such but the scan tool shows a linear progression regarding the throttle position sensor.

Started the car in the garage and vigorously shook applicable connectors and cords. No hiccups. Cleaned and reassembled.

Do throttle bodies intermittently fail?
I'm a bit confused at this point, considering buying a throttle body to keep as a spare.

2002's are known to have their throttle position sensor's fail so I would start there :thumbsup:

Steveinfl

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong but the TPS is integrated into the throttle body, or so I thought. Just trying to decide if it is the pedal sensor, the throttle body or chewed wiring. I don't suspect wiring at all, but its always a possibility.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Steveinfl said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the TPS is integrated into the throttle body, or so I thought. Just trying to decide if it is the pedal sensor, the throttle body or chewed wiring. I don't suspect wiring at all, but its always a possibility.

IIRC it is integrated into the throttle body, but I cannot remember off the top of my head.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Yes, both TPSs are integrated in the throttle body and are not serviceable.

Unlikely but it may also be a mechanical issue. Check for any binding/looseness on the throttle plate itself. If you have maintained it like you said you should have a pretty good idea of what 'normal' feels like. While you have the intake off, turn the truck on (do NOT start it) and have someone slowly and evenly press the pedal while you observe the throttle.

If all that checks out it may be a dreaded intermittent electric gremlin in the wiring or a bad TPS like Voymom said.

Edit: I don't lean towards a position sensor failure yet only because I would think that would manifest as an A/B mismatch fault. The P1515/1516 codes suggest that the throttle plate just isn't physically where the PCM is commanding it (mechanical problem or electrical problem with the actuator).

Steveinfl

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Ok. Well that is all encouraging. I will buy a spare throttle body in the meantime. I did test the function of the TB with key on and engine off. Just audibly hearing it snap from full throttle to idle. It sounded fine. I'm going to pick up some tb cleaner today and do a little cleaning. Oddly enough it's been driving fine today and last night.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
One more thought: there is a dedicated ETC circuit (Fuse 23) that runs from the fuse box to the PCM through the 10-place connector (C100) below and to the right of the PCM. Would be worth inspecting.

cxkali

Jan 20, 2012
I've been having the same problem only with the reduced engine light same codes and everything. Drove from Kentucky to Oklahoma with no issues just last week got the same code. Inspected wiring and throttle body again so I'm set on it being my throttle body.

Steveinfl

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
New throttle body on order. While it cycled smoothly 19 out of 20 times it did catch twice at the same point.

Thanks everyone, the help is much appreciated.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samsen

Members Online