Suburban Starter Not Disengaging

Inert_Static

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
My brother owns a 2007 5.3 L Suburban(70,000-ish miles) and he is telling me that for 1-2 seconds after the motor has turned over it sounds like the starter is still in contact with the flywheel.

I gave him some ideas about shims, bad ignition switch, getting his starter tested... i told him where the starter was located... and we talked about the whole system for 30 min... He lives in Cali and im here in Idaho... So i can't go over and see whats going on.

BUT, anybody know what is going on ?

Thank you !

Steve

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Inert_Static said:
My brother owns a 2007 5.3 L Suburban(70,000-ish miles) and he is telling me that for 1-2 seconds after the motor has turned over it sounds like the starter is still in contact with the flywheel.

I gave him some ideas about shims, bad ignition switch, getting his starter tested... i told him where the starter was located... and we talked about the whole system for 30 min... He lives in Cali and im here in Idaho... So i can't go over and see whats going on.

BUT, anybody know what is going on ?

Thank you !

Steve

My starter did the same thing for a couple months in the fall here in Michigan (195,000-ish miles). It sounded just like your brother described, like it didn't disengage right away.

I let it go for a while, sometimes hanging up but mostly working properly. After a month or so it's working properly all the time again.

Seems to be a lubrication issue and about the time I considered changing it, problem went away.
I'm sure it will be back, but it sounds like a ~2 hour job for a pro on the Envoy, but only ~30 minutes on the full size. (much more access).

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
BRomanJr said:
Seems to be a lubrication issue and about the time I considered changing it, problem went away.
I'm sure it will be back, but it sounds like a ~2 hour job for a pro on the Envoy, but only ~30 minutes on the full size. (much more access).

If it is the original starter, it probability not a shim problem. Could be a lubrication issue with
the starter drive (bendix spring in old days). This item is mounted on the armature shaft.
Or it could be a sticky plunger/weak spring in the solenoid.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Since these trucks have the autostart program in the ECM (Engine will crank even with key released until the engine is either started, or a certain amount of time has passed), I would say that its something in the engine that is not telling the computer that the engine is started.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
TollKeeper said:
Since these trucks have the autostart program in the ECM (Engine will crank even with key released until the engine is either started, or a certain amount of time has passed), I would say that its something in the engine that is not telling the computer that the engine is started.

You bring up a interesting subject. I remember reading a story about the I6 engine, prior to it
actually being for sale. They said that the I6 was so smooth and quiet that they had a vacuum
"switch" to prevent the customer from trying to start it after it was already running. I have wondered
about this, but never bothered to research it.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
It exists in the form of "Smart Start," purportedly for that reason. That's why if you just tap the key over into Start, it'll crank up to x seconds, however long it takes to start, and disengages the starter from being used when the vehicle is on. The PCM actually controls the starter relay, and obviously the PCM would (or SHOULD!) know when the engine is running.

I vote for a lubrication issue. When power is sent to the starter, it actually diverts to two different spots within the starter:

1.) The motor itself, of course, to turn the flywheel.
2.) Solenoid

These two items power up at the same time and are run off the exact same wire within the starter. The test would be to check for voltage at the starter, you could probably get away with using a non-contact if it's the kind with the loom or clip that goes around the wire to help hold it in place, and hopefully minimize interference from other electrical sources. Otherwise you could rig something else up, but the with the kind of current that goes through the starter you'd have to get some heavy duty stuff.

Have one person be near the multimeter, and the other person ready in the driver's seat. The person in the driver's seat can hit the key over to start, and the person down below can listen for the noise while at the same time observing the multimeter. If the noise continues after the multimeter drops back down, it's just a sticky solenoid or other part(s) within the starter motor.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online