stuck hub

blurry

Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Not sure what the issue is with my 02 trailblazer and hubs. I can get the hub off the knuckle, but I can not for the life of me get the drive shaft out of the hubs. Earlier this year I had a shop replace both hubs because I couldn't get them off. This time I got one off and the other wouldn't budge - each time it is stuck on the splines. Looking at the splines it looks like the shop greased them.

Rented a hub puller (which doesn't fit) - pushed out two of the studs and ran bolts through to the puller - worked on one, not the other. Noe the truck has new ball joints on one side and not the other :sadcry:

what is the magic trick to pulling these hubs?

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Use a puller like this.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349662500482.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349662500482.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 3

blurry

Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Hypnotoad said:
Use a puller like this.

Wow, that's impressive. Do you have a link?

I had the rented puller on my air impact and it wasn't budging. You think hooking differently like the puller you posted would help?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i'd put the axle nut on top of the shaft and hammer the dogshit out of it with a bfh

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
blurry said:
Wow, that's impressive. Do you have a link?

I had the rented puller on my air impact and it wasn't budging. You think hooking differently like the puller you posted would help?

It's just a run of the mill gear puller. I think it's a 6".

That's strange that it won't budge. I used the puller, but didn't feel it was necessary because mine came out so easy. Most people hit em with a BFH. Hit it with PB blaster too.

http://www.toolking.com/performance-w137p-6-inch-3-jaw-gear-puller?CAWELAID=430276038

Mar 15, 2012
jimmyjam said:
i'd put the axle nut on top of the shaft and hammer the dogshit out of it with a bfh

I do not want to insult your intelligence, but the bolts are out from the back and it would not bulge with an impact puller hitting it? Are you sure your shop replaced them? I had to replace mine last year and a I hit one with the hammer for about 10 mins and it slowly move out for me to replace it. I have an "03 and had to take a wire brush and get the corrosion out and grease the splines, no big deal. You have to be careful not to mushroom the end of the shaft. I do say the BFH method does help releive stress. Keep us posted.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Save the end of the shaft from mushrooming and use a brass drift with your bfg. I've done both of mine (one twice) and haven't had an issue getting them out.

blurry

Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
RPJ 03 Envoy X said:
I do not want to insult your intelligence, but the bolts are out from the back and it would not bulge with an impact puller hitting it? Are you sure your shop replaced them? I had to replace mine last year and a I hit one with the hammer for about 10 mins and it slowly move out for me to replace it. I have an "03 and had to take a wire brush and get the corrosion out and grease the splines, no big deal. You have to be careful not to mushroom the end of the shaft. I do say the BFH method does help releive stress. Keep us posted.

Yeah, I had the 3 bolts out :smile:. I trust the shop that I work with when needed. The hub was definitely replaced, you could hear it, and feel it when spinning the wheel.

Last time they got it off by heating the crap out of it and chucking water on it. Their puller couldn't get it off either.

I'm reluctant to beat the shaft with a hammer at fear of damaging the differential.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
blurry said:
I'm reluctant to beat the shaft with a hammer at fear of damaging the differential.
The cv shaft is not rigid. you can push it in almost an inch (once its loose).

if you are really worried, you can remove the axle from the diff first. you'll understand the range it telescopes then. i can tell you its not necessary though

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.