Straw that broke the camels back...Time for a tune!

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Ok, today I was pulling out into traffic and there was a newish Dodge Grand Caravan to my left. In Michigan, we have "Michigan lefts". They are a turn around between divided highways. IF you are in the left lane of the turnaround, you go to the left lane. If you are in the right, you go to the right lane of the road. Its common for a smartass to go into the left lane and then when the light turns green, they floor it and try to run you off the road (Ikr - after all it IS metro detroit though...lol). I didnt think the soccer mom was any harm but I was wrong.

I pulled out and went to my right lane and the angry soccer mom to my left tried to cut in front of me, nearly running me off the road. I floored the Envoy and it was ON! lol... soccer mom in the caravan gave it all she got too. Well, in the end she made it... but just barely! I noticed she had the 4.0l (emblem on liftgate!) :hissyfit: I know there is a weight advantage to the minivan, but come on!

So... I think its time for me to get a tune...lol. Ive always put it off and have been kind of skittish about messing with my PCM and all but I cant be getting owned by middle age housewives in .. gasp .. Chrysler minivans! :biggrin:
How much are tunes running these days from PCM4less, how long (in your experience) did it take to get it back, and what is it I have to do so I dont have to do the relearn?

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
i think they have a sale going on! it takes about a week turnaround and if you send your pcm you dont have to do a relearn just a security learn but on must cases you dont have to!and yes you will be very happy and wont keep your foot off the pedal lol!i went with shift firmness # 3 and is great!:thumbsup:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I think they are running a sale right now.

I paid for mine during the Christmas sale but with daughter home from college and borrowing the Envoy I couldn't send it in (going to let them do my PCM and return it so I don't have to do crankshaft and security relearns). Then wife's car had a problem forcing her to drive the Envoy as I was starting to focus on sending it in. That threw me off another week. Hopefully I'll get my act together this week and send it soon.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Michigan drivers... Green light - Floor it! Red light - go faster! Who said anything about lanes?

Mark20 said:
...going to let them do my PCM and return it so I don't have to do crankshaft and security relearns...

I sent them a different one and only had to do the security relearn, which was easy.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Thanks guys. Im going to look into it ASAP. I like the words "sale" too :biggrin:
Another question- Ive done a lot of reading over the years and hear alot about a cold air intake. I went to ebay and searched and found two names I recognize, volant & K&N. Why the @#&$ are they so expensive?! Why not just put a k&n air filter on instead?

I want to do the tune right and I want to open up some power. Should I get a cold air intake too? I really dont want to spend more on that than a tune but if its going to give me the results then I guess I can buy that too. :confused:

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Thanks guys. Im going to look into it ASAP. I like the words "sale" too :biggrin:
Another question- Ive done a lot of reading over the years and hear alot about a cold air intake. I went to ebay and searched and found two names I recognize, volant & K&N. Why the @#&$ are they so expensive?! Why not just put a k&n air filter on instead?

I want to do the tune right and I want to open up some power. Should I get a cold air intake too? I really dont want to spend more on that than a tune but if its going to give me the results then I guess I can buy that too. :confused:

when i did mines i said that i had a cai but i still dont have it but whenever i put in one the pcm is already set for it!i also went with the speed limiter removed and also removed the rev limiter and no towing!and removed must of the torque management!and i tell you when i floor it it really goes and now im able to do some sweet burnouts!and when on awd it will really jump off the line!try to contact marshall@pcmforless!or do a search here on pcmforless advantages!

4wVoy

Feb 4, 2012
i just ordered my tune, with the $50 off sale it was $109 plus shipping. All said and done i was looking at $125, sale ends weds the 15th. I would get the intake but thats me. They are pricey though thats for sure, just paid about 225 for the volant. good luck and go get them soccer moms :biggrin:

another option would be a DIY intake. few people have done that with good results. should be a how-to guide on here as well

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
4wVoy said:
i just ordered my tune, with the $50 off sale it was $109 plus shipping. All said and done i was looking at $125, sale ends weds the 15th. I would get the intake but thats me. They are pricey though thats for sure, just paid about 225 for the volant. good luck and go get them soccer moms :biggrin:

another option would be a DIY intake. few people have done that with good results. should be a how-to guide on here as well

Yup there's a how-to on here and shouldn't cost you more than $20-$30. Here's a pic of mine (filter needs cleaning)

2e4deb9a.jpg

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Ive done a lot of reading over the years and hear alot about a cold air intake. I went to ebay and searched and found two names I recognize, volant & K&N. Why the @#&$ are they so expensive?!

So the people in California can have the CARB sticker. It cost a lot to have a product CARB certified. And because people will pay the high price. If everyone stopped buying intakes, the price would plummet.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Mich meet your worst nemesis :rotfl:
[video=youtube;szkFB5pycq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szkFB5pycq0&feature=related[/video]

get that tune ASAP Im changing mine over to PCM as well my local guy is good but hes more of a snake tuner big Viper And Cobra guy hes alright with the LS

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
you also need to remmeber we have 4 speed trans i think the new mini-vans are 5-6 speed trans. This will keep them in there power band for best use of what the 4.0 has to offer.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
million-miles said:
the new mini-vans are 5-6 speed trans. This will keep them in there power band for best use of what the 4.0 has to offer.

I know!! I need to keep up the best I can, and of course, cant get anything other than the trans I have. :crazy:

I think today is the day I will order the PCM4less. But since Im mailing it in, I need to find a car to drive in the meantime. Gonna call the father-parental unit in a few to ask if I can borrow his kickin' saturn vue....lmao

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
million-miles said:
If you can control yourself a little 50-75 shot of the silly juice

I dont even know what this means?! :faint:

drwfaulk

Jan 5, 2012
Ordered mine last Friday it should be here on Tuesday (the loaner)!!!!:wootwoot:

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
million-miles said:

Yeah I dont know about all that....lol. Might be a little much for what Im looking for!

Hey, so if I send in my PCM then I dont need a CASE relearn. But if I get a loaner PCM from Marshall, I will?

Also what shift firmness do you guys recommend? I dont want to go 'slightly firmer' and have it barely noticeable. But I also dont want to go #2 or #3 and feel like a mule is kicking the back of the truck at every shiftpoint!

Is #1 (slight) even noticeable? Is #2 too much? I know this sounds crazy but can you describe the shift #2 firmness?

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Hey, I rented that same minivan two weeks back and they do move pretty good. It is a little emasculating to get dinged by a mom in one though. A 4.0 is a pretty big engine these days given even the overweight Traverse/Acadia/Enclave only have a 3.6 in them. I'm still waiting to hear about someones results from doing a tune to a 5.3 version of the 360.

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
must of us went with #3firmness i have it and is not bad at all just perfect shifting! not harsh at all!and also go with a vette servo!

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
[video=youtube_share;YqktkkHInVc]http://youtu.be/YqktkkHInVc[/video] check this one!:thumbsup:

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
find a soccer van that can do that!thav minivan is sooo smoked! after your tune lol:rotfl:

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
we bought an 03 Chrysler Min-van used a few years back.
My wife was driving the van and I was in the TB.
I couldn't keep up with her without really trying, doing my normal driving she was walking away from me.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
havie22 said:
must of us went with #3firmness i have it and is not bad at all just perfect shifting! not harsh at all!and also go with a vette servo!

What exactly does a vette servo accomplish? Is that why on youtube I see a lot of mod'ed t360's that shift different than my Envoy?

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
you will see the same diference after the tune!a corvette servo will make it shift quiker and give you more holding power betwen shifts just like a corvette does!and is only like $15 bucks!

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Ok so Im completely digging this 'vette servo. And I watched two how-to videos, it doesnt seem hard at all to do. I can access the servo with the trans in the truck right? I'd imagine I can do this while the truck is on jack stands/ramps? Also on ebay, there is one for sale with a longer pin. Does it matter what size pin I get with the servo?

Any good recommendations about where to buy the servo?

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
i just got the servo w/o the pin!and if you just jack it make sure is really high because there is limited space there!

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
havie22 said:
i just got the servo w/o the pin!and if you just jack it make sure is really high because there is limited space there!

unless you have a friend with a lift and a second set of hands~:undecided:

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
So can I replace the servo with the trans in the truck?

Thanks for all the tip... this thread started out with me pissed at a soccer mom in a caravan :rotfl: but now Ive got a ton of awesome tips for some mods!!

So the sale ends wednesday for the tune- Im going to buy it tonight or tomorrow. I might do the loaner program. AND Im going to buy a vette servo tonight or tomorrow as soon as I know where to buy a good quality one. Going to wait on the cold air intake, heck I might keep an eye out for a used one or just put on a K&N filter.
I watched a before and after vid on youtube of an 4.2l powered Trailblazer with a PCM4less tune. It was really noticeable just watching the tachometer & speed. Definitely a huge difference after the tune!

So is this what I should buy?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORVETTE-SE...ries&hash=item4842bc0ea0&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_898

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I wouldn't be to heartbroken over it. The 4.0L minivan you hauled ass against has 250hp and the I6 4.2L has 275hp and with the weight difference of the minivan, I think it's a pretty even match at least in my opinion. That and us soccer moms have to be quick to draw when raising kids, only makes our driving reflexes that much better:wink:

A tune-up is a great idea regardless but don't let a soccer mom make that decision for you :tongue:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
PLEASE, JACK STANDS AND CHOCKS WHEN UNDER A RAISED VEHICLE.

Lost a friend years ago when his car fell off the jack and crushed him a week before retirement.

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
Mark20 said:
PLEASE, JACK STANDS AND CHOCKS WHEN UNDER A RAISED VEHICLE.

Lost a friend years ago when his car fell off the jack and crushed him a week before retirement.

wow sorry for the loss! i had cars fall on my ass before and i been lucky but now im 40 so im very carefull about that cant move as fast as 21 no more lol! but yes make sure ur truck is well in jack stands and double check before you get under or find a friend with a lift:yes:

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
I wouldn't be to heartbroken over it. The 4.0L minivan you hauled ass against has 250hp and the I6 4.2L has 275hp and with the weight difference of the minivan, I think it's a pretty even match at least in my opinion. That and us soccer moms have to be quick to draw when raising kids, only makes our driving reflexes that much better:wink:

A tune-up is a great idea regardless but don't let a soccer mom make that decision for you :tongue:

maybe she been at the track before?:rotfl:

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
So can I replace the servo with the trans in the truck?

Thanks for all the tip... this thread started out with me pissed at a soccer mom in a caravan :rotfl: but now Ive got a ton of awesome tips for some mods!!

So the sale ends wednesday for the tune- Im going to buy it tonight or tomorrow. I might do the loaner program. AND Im going to buy a vette servo tonight or tomorrow as soon as I know where to buy a good quality one. Going to wait on the cold air intake, heck I might keep an eye out for a used one or just put on a K&N filter.
I watched a before and after vid on youtube of an 4.2l powered Trailblazer with a PCM4less tune. It was really noticeable just watching the tachometer & speed. Definitely a huge difference after the tune!

So is this what I should buy?
CORVETTE SERVO PISTON 700R4 4L60 4L60E E CAMARO TRUCK BLAZER GMC CHEVY | eBay

mines was from ct powertrain products harbor city ca their # is 310-534-2409 part #77772b

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
havie22 said:
maybe she been at the track before?:rotfl:

I would be more upset at the fact that I got my ass handed to me by a DODGE and not so upset at the fact that it was a woman lol

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
i hear you voymom that is really f--up! but hey rematch!

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Still curious about shift firmness. I dont want to go #1 and later regret it. But I dont want to go #2 and its too firm. Can somebody with #2 explain to me what its like?

I drove a 2 before getting the tune in mine. To me, the 2 felt like the extra "umph" that's there when they shift in the mornings when the truck and the outside temps are super cold. I didn't get the 2.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DIY Professional