stock bose premium head unit mod

Morgoth604

Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
2002 trailblazer ltz, 4wd.

i have the bose premium enhanced deck with the lux amp in the rear passanger coner pannel. it has onstar aswell. (and no the onstar isnt activated.)

what i want to do is run the stock deck off a secondary battery. so that the main battery is for the computer and to start the truck. now ive been to the stealer and got the wiring connector info for both radios one in the front and the radio in the back aswell as the body controll modual (BCM) conector. now my question is this. can i use a toggle switch to turn the stock deck on and off with my secondary battery, and if so do i need to cut or modify the serial data line from the deck? or can i just rewire a new 12v+ line with fuse to the stock deck with the toggle switch attached?

i have two subs running off the stock deck and i did it for less than $60.00. just a bit of speaker wire and a wire converter to convert speaker wire to rca wire for the amp. and yes it does work. speaker wire tap from front door speakers to the wire converter to the amp.

I want the stock deck to be powered by the secondary battery, i do not want to buy a new aftermarket deck and that crazy expensive wiring harness to allow an aftermarket deck. i wanna keep the inside as stock as possible. i know that may03lt is great at these kinds of things and i would love to hear what he has to say on this subject. as well as anyone else who knows what there talking aboot or has done this with success. :thankyou:

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
Why are you trying to run the HU off a second battery? Is it because of the subs/amp?

If I where you I would run the amps off the second battery if you're worried about the amp killing your main battery then you'll need to iscolate the battery so it won't drain the main.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Morgoth604 said:
2002 trailblazer ltz, 4wd.

i have the bose premium enhanced deck with the lux amp in the rear passanger coner pannel. it has onstar aswell. (and no the onstar isnt activated.)

what i want to do is run the stock deck off a secondary battery. so that the main battery is for the computer and to start the truck. now ive been to the stealer and got the wiring connector info for both radios one in the front and the radio in the back aswell as the body controll modual (BCM) conector. now my question is this. can i use a toggle switch to turn the stock deck on and off with my secondary battery, and if so do i need to cut or modify the serial data line from the deck? or can i just rewire a new 12v+ line with fuse to the stock deck with the toggle switch attached?

i have two subs running off the stock deck and i did it for less than $60.00. just a bit of speaker wire and a wire converter to convert speaker wire to rca wire for the amp. and yes it does work. speaker wire tap from front door speakers to the wire converter to the amp.

I want the stock deck to be powered by the secondary battery, i do not want to buy a new aftermarket deck and that crazy expensive wiring harness to allow an aftermarket deck. i wanna keep the inside as stock as possible. i know that may03lt is great at these kinds of things and i would love to hear what he has to say on this subject. as well as anyone else who knows what there talking aboot or has done this with success. :thankyou:

My question is similar, with a stock premium deck and all, why put the deck on a separate battery? If you want to double your capacity just double your batteries... I am guessing the reason you want the HU on the other battery is because your planning on playing the radio alot without the truck running.. Right? But you still need to charge that battery, eh, its your baby.. As long as it is set for your VIN# and has no theftlock crap when the power is cut you should be fine. If it was me though I would just throw dual batteries at the truck, stick in the new HU, program the VIN and be done with it.

Morgoth604

Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Decembersend said:
Why are you trying to run the HU off a second battery? Is it because of the subs/amp?

If I where you I would run the amps off the second battery if you're worried about the amp killing your main battery then you'll need to iscolate the battery so it won't drain the main.

no its not because of the subs and amp. i want to have the stock radio and amp and my whinch all running off the secondary battery because i do a lot of off roading and camping and i want to keep those heavy power accessory's seperate from my starting battery. i know i have to isolate them, im still trying to find a good isolator and not a marine isolator. projecta makes a good one but there in australia so ive been looking around and making calls here in canada to find a projecta dealer. no luck soo far butt ill find one sooner or later.

Morgoth604

Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
McGMT said:
My question is similar, with a stock premium deck and all, why put the deck on a separate battery? If you want to double your capacity just double your batteries... I am guessing the reason you want the HU on the other battery is because your planning on playing the radio alot without the truck running.. Right? But you still need to charge that battery, eh, its your baby.. As long as it is set for your VIN# and has no theftlock crap when the power is cut you should be fine. If it was me though I would just throw dual batteries at the truck, stick in the new HU, program the VIN and be done with it.

no no im not trying to double the capcity if i was id just use a lage capactor for my subs. i want to run on the secondary battery because i use the radio alot when im camping and if i isoltae the secondary battery from the main battery the isolator will charge the main battery first then the secondary battery. i want my whicn amp and stock deck on the secondary battery so the main doesnt die. keep in mind if your talking aboot running the battery's paralle the main battery will die over night and if it doesnt then your alternator will give out alot quicker. you will kill your alternator faster that way. so do not i repat do not run you battery's paralle. so many people learn the hard way when they do that. however if you use a battery isolator then the isolator will charge one battery at a time, first the main battery then the secondary battery, ensuring that your alternator doesnt over work itself by charging two battery's at once. your alternator is not designed to charge 2 battery's at the same time, only one.:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online