Sticky lifter?

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I noticed w/out lifting hood, engine ticking and goes away after a few minutes..like a lifter or 2 not getting pumped up w/oil on cold initial cold start..

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
moneypit said:
I noticed w/out lifting hood, engine ticking and goes away after a few minutes..like a lifter or 2 not getting pumped up w/oil on cold initial cold start..

If this is new behavior since getting colder out, that does seem logical, although technically the I6 doesn't have lifters - rather they are hydraulic valve lash adjusters, but the effect would be similar. Search threads by gmcman, he seems to have had some success with BGK44 (?) at reducing that cold start tick noise.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks, I found the thread but no mention of anything other than 1 member using a M1 oil filter & his went away...I'll need to further investigate, though I did just change oil/filter before I noticed it..I believe? I don't drive it much these days. Always use M1 oil and pureone filter... what do you mean with BGK44?

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
moneypit said:
Thanks, I found the thread but no mention of anything other than 1 member using a M1 oil filter & his went away...I'll need to further investigate, though I did just change oil/filter before I noticed it..I believe? I don't drive it much these days. Always use M1 oil and pureone filter... what do you mean with BGK44?

Well I guess it would help if I'd given the correct search term: BG 44K - here's the thread I was referring to: http://gmtnation.com/f23/my-cold-start-tick-5639/

My understanding is that he used the BG44K to clean any deposits that may have slowed hydraulic actuation of the valve lash adjusters, significantly reducing the noise.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Using the BG 44K and flushing the engine a number of times over the past couple years has totally elimintated my lash adjuster noise. This is no matter how cold it gets. I don't see how BG 44K could do this so I attribute the success to engine flushing.

Basically what I have been doing is draining two quarts of oil every oil change and adding two quarts of Gunk engine flush. Follow directions on back of the Gunk bottle.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
wow! Thanks guys! will have to go the flush routine I guess and see how it works out. Merry Xmas..Happy Holidays!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online