Steering side/step and wheel bounce.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
For some reason I've been noticing it a lot more lately. While driving, and I hit a bump, the steering seems to jolt back and forth much more than it used to. I have new Bilstein HD's up front with around 8k miles on them now. But for some reason the steering wheel really kicks back and forth when driving over bumps in the road, and the front wheels tend to sidestep if I'm turning and I hit a slight bump. It never seemed to do it in the frequency or amount it does now. I have new upper and lower ball joints, and cv half shafts too. My steering rack was checked out recently and it was said to be fine. What else could it be?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Inner or outer tie rod ends, although any shop that checked out the steering rack would also be looking at those.

Upper or lower control arm bushings would also allow steering to wander.

Or bad toe-in would change the way the truck would steer depending on which front tire had more traction/weight on it. When was your last alignment? Any recent pothole or curb hits?

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Inner or outer tie rod ends, although any shop that checked out the steering rack would also be looking at those.

Upper or lower control arm bushings would also allow steering to wander.

Or bad toe-in would change the way the truck would steer depending on which front tire had more traction/weight on it. When was your last alignment? Any recent pothole or curb hits?

You know what you hit the nail on the head right there. I do remember I have pretty significant toe-in. I was just waiting to get new tires to get an alignment done, which will be before winter. Control arm bushings would be my next suspect though.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Technically, you can get an alignment and new tires won't change it. Surely (check my avatar) you don't think an alignment is too much to invest in your driving safety? :wink:

C) I'm too poor.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Alignment can most definitely cause that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.