Steering rack issue.

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I'm having problems with my rack and pinion. I was driving home and my power steering pump started making a horrible whine. I checked and it was nearly empty and what was in there was milky. I filled it up and started it and you can see bubbles in it. I drove for 5 mins and the noise came back. Checked again and it was empty again. I looked around and noticed that it was coming out of the boot on my inner tie rod. The boot had torn near the clamp and fluid was pouring out of it. My question is is this boot just for dust or is it supposed to hold fluid? I was searching online and some guys were saying that if the seal is bad that the whole rack needs to be replaced. I'm not sure if I should believe this because they sell a seal kit. I'm not sure why they would if it was not serviceable. Can I replace the seal? Would the air in the fluid be coming from this broken seal? I don't have $300 to drop on a new rack right now. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The boot is just for dust. The seal is critical. You may need a junkyard or a remanufactured one. Lowest prices I see on Ebay right now are $70 and $75 shipped.

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Roadie. I am not seeing these 75 dollar racks. Can you post a link. I tried searching but cheapest was 175 shipped. Also do you think it would be a good idea to install one of these or spend more for one from advance auto with a lifetime warranty?

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Yow! I just looked on rockauto and almost fell off the couch, LOL. Good Luck. I dread the day if mine ever goes bad!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Searched for "trailblazer rack"

[EBAY]320775172302[/EBAY]

[EBAY]190617605511[/EBAY]

Also search Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for junkyard inventory near you. I see plenty of listings, but all $150-275. It's a precision part that can kill you if it fails. Don't be looking for $20 units. Your loved ones, strangers, and you are worth more than that. I tend to be frugal about many, many things, but condoms, parachutes, and steering racks aren't on that list.

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Haha yeah. I found s reman one on eBay for 148 shipped and it says genuine parts and lifetime warranty so I may do that.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Hotness said:
Haha yeah. I found s reman one on eBay for 148 shipped and it says genuine parts and lifetime warranty so I may do that.

Something lime that is probably your best bet over a new unit. I would definitely not compromise too much quality over price for an item like this.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Its more money, but I would def go ac-delco on this one! I learned my lesson too many times on every other replacement part on my truck to risk something as important as the R&P.

tricguy007

Dec 7, 2011
I would buy one from a local parts store just because its a hole lot easier to return if it goes bad

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online