Static in FM stations with the HID headlights on

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I have an aftermarket Pioneer head unit and the proper Metra Axxess harness (forget the part number). Everything worked great.

About a month and a half ago I installed my HIDs. They are powered via a relay harness that is connected to the empty stud on the fuse box that is originally for the infamous mystery red wire. The harness ground is connected to the ground bolt on the driver side fender along with a factory ground.

Now as soon as the HIDs are turned on I get static in the radio. If I play a CD, use the Aux jack, or mp3s via a USB stick it sounds perfectly normal.

Did I just choose a bad spot for the ground? I didn't think it would be an issue being on the other side of the engine bay.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Depending on how much room you have to "play" with in your harness I would move your grounding locations my Pos are battery oriented and Im clear, I would definitely suspect a ground bleeding off. But this is the first I have heard of the problem usually an alternator whine more than HID induced noise.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yeah that's what gets me. I have no other noise in my radio at all. Crystal clear until the HIDs are turned on :crazy:

I figured I'd be trying to move the ground. If I have to extend the harness that's easy enough to do, I have a soldering iron handy :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online