Starter Motor 5.3, is failure electrical or mechanical

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Starter motor, something I've never worked on before. Mine started making noise last Thursday. Most of the time now I hear a tick tick tick when its cranking, almost like an arcing sound. In the video it can be faintly heard the first start up. The other sound is like when you try to start a car that is already running, this can be heard in the second start up. It seems that it wants to keep cranking after I release the key. I read here that is the pcm trying to complete the start. After the video It went on a little longer trying to start after key released. On 2 occasions there was a really loud bang like a hammer on steel, maybe the starter gear hitting the flywheel?

I popped that little cover and looked at the flywheel teeth, they looked okay of the ones I could see. I did notice a thin shiny edge on each side of the teeth that I'm guessing is normal wear, a few shavings near that hole that I also guess is normal. When looking up at the starter I can see through a slot in the casing that gear piece that moves out to the flywheel. Should its movement be smooth to engage and smooth when it comes back? When watching mine move it seems to be a little shaky as it moves. I also noticed while under that I have a rear engine oil leak again. Some drips were hanging off the starter motor bolt so I guess it dripping on the starter.

The original starter was replaced under warranty at around 33,000 miles with part # 88861935, part cost on invoice $466.95. Mileage now is 113,000 miles.

I called GM parts and gave my vin to see what part it calls for. Parts guy says OEM part # 89018123 @ $476.50 or a Delco part # 88864922 @ $250.00. I asked why it didn't call for the OEM part # 88861935, he tells me it was replaced with the Delco part # at $250.

Would any of these symptoms mean the starter is failing or should I have someone test the electrical part of the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh7P8s_eNQ4

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It should be fairly smooth both directions.

I'd just get a starter at Advance or Autozone, for half that cost, with a lifetime warranty, and just DIY it. That dealer pricing is ridiculous.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Sparky said:
It should be fairly smooth both directions.

I'd just get a starter at Advance or Autozone, for half that cost, with a lifetime warranty, and just DIY it. That dealer pricing is ridiculous.
Is it just remove and replace or do I gotta measure and shim the new one. According to the Haynes I have to remove rear steering gear crossmember and the bell housing cover (only 1 bolt) to get to it, doesn't mention shimming.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've never seen a starter on a GM that needs shimmed. Just disconnect battery, unbolt old, bolt in new, reconnect battery. I believe those just have two mounting bolts.

Half the time I try without looking at the Haynes because half the time the "official" way of doing things is harder than just figuring it out as you go. On my 4.2 I reached down from the top to pull the starter, vs yanking a bunch of stuff from the bottom to get to it. Had it swapped in an hour.

Reactions: northcreek

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
umm how does that book think you're going to remove the bellhousing?

just pull the 2 bolts from the bottom and figure out how to wiggle it out. I was able to get it out with longtube headers so stock manifold should be a piece of cake

I could see maybe needing to remove the steering rack crossmember but i think i was able to wiggle it enough to get it out without doing that.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
jimmyjam said:
umm how does that book think you're going to remove the bellhousing?

just pull the 2 bolts from the bottom and figure out how to wiggle it out. I was able to get it out with longtube headers so stock manifold should be a piece of cake

I could see maybe needing to remove the steering rack crossmember but i think i was able to wiggle it enough to get it out without doing that.
Typo, oops, ya I should have said bell housing cover which is removed with 1 bolt. I guess it just looks intimidating. I'll go that route, unbolt it first then wiggle it out removing as little as possible to get it out.

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
I put a brand new TYC branded starter in my wifes 5.3 Tahoe. I got it from my local parts jobber for less than $90 tax in.
As much as it hurt to not use a Delco branded starter. She didn't want to spend the coin on it.

You are in Kitchener, so I know you will never find one that cheap locally. I dealt with Barton Auto Parts in Hamilton before I moved. But I don't know of any suppliers in Kitchener.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
neohio said:
I put a brand new TYC branded starter in my wifes 5.3 Tahoe. I got it from my local parts jobber for less than $90 tax in.
As much as it hurt to not use a Delco branded starter. She didn't want to spend the coin on it.

You are in Kitchener, so I know you will never find one that cheap locally. I dealt with Barton Auto Parts in Hamilton before I moved. But I don't know of any suppliers in Kitchener.
I ended up getting the Delco yesterday for $225, 10% off. Going to a friends shop tomorrow to put it in, he has a hoist and an appetite for free beer. One of these days I'm going to stop in Hamilton at the Kenny U Pull wreckers and have a look around. I see it from the QEW twice a week but never been there. Sure would be nice to find Ascender tail lights for the Envoy or smoked tails for my Maxima.

Thanks, I'll keep Barton Auto Parts in mind the next time I need parts. Hopefully not real soon....knock on wood.

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
I don't miss the smell of Hamilton coming over the skyway.
I DO miss working around the corner from Salerno Cheese and Springers meats though. If you ever find yourself on Parkdale during the day. Hit up Springers or Salerno for a nice fresh deli sandwich. And if you are at springers, grab a couple pepperettes. Warning though, both places are swamped during lunch time.

MoJoRisin'

Jan 11, 2013
I think you guys answered my question about removal and replacement. The wife's starter sounds like the solenoid is not functioning smoothly - kind of like you are indicating........it's sounding like it will be time for replacement really soon.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online