stalling after o2 sensor changed

sh4d0w1021

Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
The other day I had a p0130 cel appear on my 05 trailblazer. So I changed the per cat o2 and now it surges,hesitates, and stalls . I tried cleaning the throttle body and I removed the battery for 30 minutes. No cel comes on Any ideas?:confused:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
sh4d0w1021 said:
The other day I had a p0130 cel appear on my 05 trailblazer. So I changed the per cat o2 and now it surges,hesitates, and stalls . I tried cleaning the throttle body and I removed the battery for 30 minutes. No cel comes on Any ideas?:confused:

The throttle body can get screwed if the battery wasn't disconnected prior to removing and cleaning it. Especially if the throttle was moved with koeo. Or you might have a vacuum leak from a hose loose. Also try disconnecting the battery for a couple hours. Then let it idle for 15 minutes without touching the throttle.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Did you reconnect the big vacuum hose under the intake resonator? Right behind the oil fill cap. I agree it sounds like you have a big vacuum leak and/or didn't perform the TB relearn.

Disconnect battery for 30 min. Reconnect battery.

Turn key ON (all dash lights illuminated) and don't start for 5 min.

Without turning key off, start engine and let idle for 5 min. Do not touch the accel pedal at anytime after you reconnect the battery. After about 5 min of idling drive it around for a short while.

The 5 minutes isn't set in stone, just a good round number. :thumbsup:

sh4d0w1021

Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
The o2 sensor is a denzo. I disconnected the battery for over 30 mins but I did not turn the key on for 5 mins and I did not idle the vehicle. All the vacuum hoses are hooked up. I will do a relearn after work. I also noticed a very rough idle and poor fuel efficiency also I use torque obd2 scanner and as soon as I start the vehicle it says it is in closed loop . Thanks for your responded I will update you on this issue.

signalnc

Dec 28, 2012
i was having idle issues because i did not do the relearn on the throttle body. that might solve it.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
sh4d0w1021 said:
The o2 sensor is a denzo.

Was this a universal O2 with wires you splice or was it an exact replacement with a factory style connector? It may have either been incorrectly wired or it is the wrong one. Double check. Incorrectly wiring an O2 can blow the circuit for the heater or worse kill the pcm. It looks like (from your description) that the PCM is reading that the O2 is fully heated up when it really isn't.

...and as always use only ACDelco O2 sensors if you can. Bosch may be ok. It's really hit or miss with sensors other than ACDelco. Aside from brand, getting a direct replacement fit with a factory style connector is recommended. The PCM's are programmed to only operate with a narrow band of resistance of the heater circuit. In fact some O2 sensors have been known to give the PCM fits or just flat-out refuse to work.

sh4d0w1021

Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
CaptainXL said:
Was this a universal O2 with wires you splice or was it an exact replacement with a factory style connector? It may have either been incorrectly wired or it is the wrong one. Double check. Incorrectly wiring an O2 can blow the circuit for the heater or worse kill the pcm. It looks like (from your description) that the PCM is reading that the O2 is fully heated up when it really isn't.

...and as always use only ACDelco O2 sensors if you can. Bosch may be ok. It's really hit or miss with sensors other than ACDelco. Aside from brand, getting a direct replacement fit with a factory style connector is recommended. The PCM's are programmed to only operate with a narrow band of resistance of the heater circuit. In fact some O2 sensors have been known to give the PCM fits or just flat-out refuse to work.

I can get a Delphi o2 sensor at wholesale cost from work would this sensor be a good option. Also the denzo is factory style .

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I'm not sure who makes our factory sensors but if it says AC Delco on the box that's the one you want to get, even if it means you need to purchase from the dealer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chappymate

Members Online