Stabilitrak activating after steering rack replacement.

Mechtr0nik

Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
Hello everyone.
I just replaced my steering rack a couple days ago on my 2006 Trailblazer LS with the EDELMANN 2018. Now sometimes when turning under acceleration the Stabilitrak kicks in throttles the engine, today the Stabilitrak kicked in and throttled the engine when getting on the freeway, and when entering my apt parking lot, the ABS kicked in when making a 10mph right turn.

What gives? My thought are either the difference in the turn rate(3.5 for the eddelmann) or maybe The SPS needs reset?

The SPS was replaced a few years ago, no problems till now. I also replaced both front hubs earlier this year due to noisy bearings.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I am now thinking of buying a Autel MK808Z scanner to aid in this and other future troubleshooting, maintenance and playing.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm thinking your SWPS (Steering Wheel Position Sensor) is out of adjustment or the steering wheel was turned while the rack was disconnected and thus, thinks you're constantly turning or turning more than you actually are. You would need an advanced scanner like a Tech 2 or Snap On to see if it's to the right or left.

A word of caution. If you plan on experimenting with disconnecting the steering from the rack again and turning the wheel left or right, you could break the clockspring in the column. This is especially true if it's already turned a turn one way and you further turn it the same way. What I would try without a scanner is remove the SWPS and recenter it. Not exactly sure how this can be accomplished though.

Mechtr0nik

Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
Thanks for the reply Mooseman.
I did ensure the the steering wheel was straight and locked when I changed the rack, i used a screwdriver in the slot at the bottom of the column and also used a tie strap lashed to the bottom of the seat for redundancy.

According the the product description from autel, it says it can reset swps. Of course stating this and it actually doing this in my use case are two different things 🙄.

Is there anything I can test, check or do to try to get you more info on problem?
Is there an app lite torque or dashcommand that also read the sensor?

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Do you have any of those inexpensive Bluetooth OBD2 adapters? I cannot guarantee it would work for a TrailBlazer but I can see my steering wheel position sensor output on my 2005 Yukon using such an adapter and a proper PID entry.

Edit: It actually seems unlikely to work since the data I get in the Yukon is from the BCM and in a TrailBlazer it looks like the steering wheel sensor is wired to the EBCM.

Last edited:

Mechtr0nik

Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
I do have an adapter, it has been so useful. It reads and clears abs , stabilitrak, and others.
I just wish it would read my swps position. Maybe it can and I just haven't figured out how yet.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online