Stabilitrack And ABS Lights are on

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Hi all
I changed my passenger side front outer tie rod about a week or two ago
due to the wife hitting a rather large pothole, when she hit the hole all electronics in the Envoy went out
Now after changine the tie rod end my steering wheel is not centered anymore
Since the tie rod change my stabilitrck and ABS lights have been comming on
I havent checked yet but im pretty sure that if i turn the Envoy off with the steering wheel in the straight position the lights wont come back on when the vehicle starts
but do come on after driving for a bit

did some reading and im finding alot of people pointing the finger at the steering wheel position sensor

Thanks Dak

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Check the wire going to the wheel speed sensor on that side's wheel bearing.

But #1 thing, without delay - get an alignment! Changing tie rod ends will always affect alignment unless you're very, very precise when you change it. The pothole also changed the camber and caster if it was a large enough hit to break a tie rod.

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Is there anyway to check the camber and caster
There isnt any odd wear on the tires

Thanks Dak

Ray Dockrey

Dec 6, 2011
Like Roadie said get an alignment done asap. You have knocked something severely out of alignment. Could be that the wheel position sensor is doing its job and sensing that the position of the wheel is wrong and setting the warning lights. But it also could be the wheel sensor. But the first thing you need to do is get it aligned. It may take a while for the tires to show wear. Get it done now before they start to show.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Dakota76 said:
Is there anyway to check the camber and caster
Yes.

1) Pay for an alignment. Cheapest and quickest.

2) Drive like that for six months. Observe odd wear on tires. Replace tires and THEN get an alignment. More expensive in the long run.
There isnt any odd wear on the tires
Hehe. There will be. :wink:

Alignments aren't just a way that mechanics soak us for money on unnecessary jobs. They can be incredibly necessary. Massive potholes create the need.

Sue the city if you need help paying for the alignment. It's been known to work.

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
The alignment is going to happen. But the shop isnt next door to me tho
The only reason i asked the question is i dont want to break anything going to the shop for an alignment

I did check the wheel sensor like you mentioned, it looked clean with no breaks or anything
The rotor on the other hand did not want to come off at all, it was rusted quite bad
I managed to get it off and cleaned it up and it went back on with no problems
I will be replacing them tomoro, could that have been the problem

PS my stabilitrack light still comes on but not constantly

Thanks Dak

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
So i check the wheel speed sensors as mentioned
Today i changed both front rotors and pads
Service stabilitrack and yellow abs light is still on

Rodie
does the wheel alignment have anything to do with it???

Also i think i need a new rear motor mount, i have vibration when in reverse and drive
Worse in reverse

Thanks DAK

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Dakota76 said:
So i check the wheel speed sensors as mentioned
A visual inspection is almost useless, unless there's an obvious wire broken. A sensor internal problem would not be easy to see. A high end scan tool or a GM Tech II tool is needed.
Today i changed both front rotors and pads
Service stabilitrack and yellow abs light is still on
Then it's probably something else broken.
does the wheel alignment have anything to do with it???
No.
Also i think i need a new rear motor mount, i have vibration when in reverse and drive
Worse in reverse
There is a rear transmission mount, but that doesn't cause engine vibration. It's typically the passenger side motor mount that gets aged by exhaust manifold heat.

Is your vibration a 10 Hz rotational vibration at idle that doesn't show up as a variable RPM on the tachometer?

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
the roadie said:
There is a rear transmission mount, but that doesn't cause engine vibration. It's typically the passenger side motor mount that gets aged by exhaust manifold heat.

Is your vibration a 10 Hz rotational vibration at idle that doesn't show up as a variable RPM on the tachometer?

Do you mean does the tach jump???
If so then no it doesnt.

Also noticed when i took it for a ride that there is now a squeel that sounds rotational

And what can happen if i dont change the mount right away and keep driving it

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Yup the steering wheel position sensor is the prob with the lights comin on. Its in the dash.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online