Squeaking only when backing up

Jkust

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
Hi all, about two weeks ago my 9-7 started making the loudest, strangest squeeking sound whenever I back up. At first I though it was the air suspension since the sound is almost like a really high pitched air-being-let-out-of-a-balloon sound. Basically then it happens if I back up with the brake pedal pressed and it squeeks like crazy then if I let up on the pedal it persists for a second then quits and the cycle starts over as soon as I press the brakes. I have to say I've been driving for a long time and have had many vehicles but have never had this happen before. Anybody have any brake specific ideas here?

Thanks...
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
Aging caliper seals that aren't retracting the pistons properly?
 

Jkust

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
the roadie said:
Aging caliper seals that aren't retracting the pistons properly?

Sounds good but not doing it while in forward gear is what is confusing me. You'd expect the piston would act up regardless of direction. This is a silly one but is it possible that the pads could be installed wrong so somehow the indicator is backwards, indicating only while in reverse.
 

Jkust

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
So a quick update on this for future reference. After a couple weeks of the squeeking in reverse it just stopped. Well now I can say that it indeed was an indicator which I ignored. Things have been good for a few weeks then a few days ago the brake pedal was traveling too far at the first pump of the brakes another warning for me. Yesterday backing down the driveway the right inside rear pad was metal to metal on the rotor but it only grinds when you are almost stopped. like the rear is only grabbing right at the end of a stop. Of course you can't actually see the spent pad without removing the tire. Now I need to figure out if it makes sense for me to try to change the rotors and rears myself having never done it before or paying through the nose to have it done at a shop. I really want to do this myself and save a ton of money but the rears rotors are exceptionally rusty and don't know how much of a challenge it will be to remove them.
 

Jkust

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
Because I hate threads that hang there...I changed the rear pads and rotors. They were pretty evenly worn with one being right on the metal so I relubed the slides but they were still moving freely. Since I have all of the tools, impact guns/air wratchets etc, but have never actually used them before, I can say this was very easy. The one thing that never made sense however is why the indicators only did their job in reverse. The hardest part of the whole job was getting the new pads to fit into the calliper bracket even though I cleaned the rust out of everything, the new pads were a small fraction longer than the previous. The rotors come right off if you screw a couple of M10 screws into them so no need to whack them with a hammer. Other than in really cold winter temperatures, I can't imagine why you'd pay someone to change your brakes and rotors.
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
Jkust said:
The one thing that never made sense however is why the indicators only did their job in reverse.
That's been reported before. Not sure either.
I can't imagine why you'd pay someone to change your brakes and rotors.
Bad hip, broken shoulder, weak muscles, lack of tools, dangerous neighborhood, lack of parental permission, lack of confidence or a mentor, lack of time and an excess of money, no working clothes, bad eyesight, nervous spouse, etc. Lots of reasons. Mostly those folks don't seek out DIY enthusiast kinds of forums like ours, though.
 

Jkust

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
the roadie said:
Not sure either.Bad hip, broken shoulder, weak muscles, lack of tools, dangerous neighborhood, lack of parental permission, lack of confidence or a mentor, lack of time and an excess of money, no working clothes, bad eyesight, nervous spouse, etc. Lots of reasons. Mostly those folks don't seek out DIY enthusiast kinds of forums like ours, though.

Ok good points. I think I just have DIY myopia. I can't wait to do the fronts now since they are looking ready to be changed in the next couple months. On the flip side, we live in a neighborhood where nobody would do their own auto repair much less clean their own house and so my kids' friends now call me cheap. The sound of an impact gun must have had the neighbors reeling.
 

Pittdawg

Member
Dec 5, 2011
538
Jkust said:
On the flip side, we live in a neighborhood where nobody would do their own auto repair much less clean their own house and so my kids' friends now call me cheap. The sound of an impact gun must have had the neighbors reeling.

Well in that case next time you work on your car make sure you are wearing tight shorts and a wife beater (i.e. an "A" style undershirt) all while drinking Natural Light beer...
 

Jkust

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
Pittdawg said:
Well in that case next time you work on your car make sure you are wearing tight shorts and a wife beater (i.e. an "A" style undershirt) all while drinking Natural Light beer...

Well if I can still get some Zima, I'll probably go that route and the wife beater really needs to be homemade and cut a little crooked. I may just periodically run the impact gun for the fun value.
 

Lima Tango

Member
Dec 4, 2011
242
Jkust said:
Ok good points. I think I just have DIY myopia. I can't wait to do the fronts now since they are looking ready to be changed in the next couple months. On the flip side, we live in a neighborhood where nobody would do their own auto repair much less clean their own house and so my kids' friends now call me cheap. The sound of an impact gun must have had the neighbors reeling.

Sounds like you have an opportunity to mentor those misguided kids. Next time you have an excuse to work on something on the truck or house, bring em over and let them fire up the impact gun. Maybe you'll get through to one or two. I was fortunate enough to grow up with my dad teaching me how to do anything on a car or house. I sometimes pay to have things done for me now because I work a hell of a lot of hours each week in the USAF, but I know what needs to be done and how much it should cost and don't get taken advantage of by a mechanic or whomever. I had friends who were raised by their mom only and did not learn to get their hands dirty or diagnose problems, and they are a prime mark for someone unscrupulous. Cheap my ass, you're being a man and taking a stand against the ripoff artists of the world!
 

Jkust

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
Lima Tango said:
bring em over and let them fire up the impact gun. I was fortunate enough to grow up with my dad teaching me how to do anything on a car or house. Cheap my ass, you're being a man and taking a stand against the ripoff artists of the world!


Well, I let my kids pull the trigger when putting the lugs back on and they thought it was cool. In addition to the kids' friends,aA couple people (adults) happened to stop by while I was doing the job and they were literally shocked.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,388
Posts
638,719
Members
18,596
Latest member
david herman

Members Online