Squeaking coming from front wheels or engine bay

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
I have this rpm sensitive whistling or grinding noise coming from the front of the vehicle, I replaced the idler pulley thinking that might be it but it didn't fix the issue. I was pulling out of the airport parking garage yesterday and as I turned the wheel left while going up a hill, my vehicles left wheel made this horrendous periodic screeching noise. I do have 20" rims, I took it to a mechanic a couple months ago and he said he didn't hear anything. But my friends and my girlfriend can hear at certain times.... No idea what this could be, any feedback is greatly appreciated!

-Chase

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Making a left turn under power, could point to the power steering pump.

If the noise is (as you suggest) rpm sensitive, it is not the wheel, but something being driven by the belt.

Perhaps the ac compressor, I know, it's winter and you don't need air, but if the defrost was on, the ac compressor is on.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Wheel screeching doesn't sound like it's engine RPM related. If you do the left turn trick, and change engine RPM, does the noise change or stay with the wheel RPM?

If it's still engine-RPM-related, you could also suspect the tensioner pulley (second in failure rate to the idler pulley) or the PS pump. How many miles do you have, what maintenance history, and have you checked the PS fluid for age and level recently?

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
110000 miles on it, never changed the power steering fluid before... Would that be causing the squeaking? I recently had the sway bar links replaced... Would but I've been having the whistling noise happen for almost a year now

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
It might be 2 different problems... Because I only notice one of them when I'm going over 30 mph through a certain rpm range and the other one is noticed at low speeds when turning the wheel... :confused:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online