Speedometer stuck at 50

Deano

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
I was on the way home last night and noticed that I was going 50 in a 35 MPH zone. I slowed down and looked again and was still going 50. Got home and thought the speedometer would reset; it didn't. I've searched the forum and found that the stepper motor could be faulty. Will I still be able to drive the vehicle and just not know how fast I'm going or is it something that I need to have fixed immediately?

I noticed that there was a stepper motor replacement DIY in the "other" forum. If the speedometer is the only one that's not working, is that the only one I'll have to replace?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome!

The failed one(s) are the only ones that HAVE to be replaced, but they are basically all made with the same flawed design. If one failed now, the general recommendation is to change them all at the same time. Assuming you have good PCB rework skills. For only $20 more in parts, you can be assured of never having to go back in there again by changing all six.

We have our own article here:
http://gmtnation.com/f93/how-change-stepper-motor-901/

Deano

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
My daughter has an '02 (?) Suburban and the same thing happened to hers. Her husband said that it's pretty well a given that the tach and volt meter will fail soon after, in that order.

Thanks Roadie! I also thought it would be a pretty good idea to have 'em all swapped out instead of having to pull it all apart a month or two down the road.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online