NEED HELP Speaker Feedback/Ground issue?

benjaminblazer

Original poster
Mar 25, 2024
michigan
Hello, I have an 06 Trailblazer LS that has had a speaker feedback noise for awhile now. I have a sub, 6 aftermarket speakers, an aftermarket Head unit and a 270amp high output alt and the big 3 upgrade. I have cleaned off every ground, grounded my stereo to the same ground as my amps, used multiple wire, multiple amps, multiple batteries multiple stereos and multiple speakers. I am really stuck here and not sure what to do. If you know anything about car audio i have knukonceptz wire and rcas(top of the line). The only thing i can think it might be that i have not tried yet is swapping back to my old alternator. Please let me know if you have any ideas i would really appreciate it! Here are some pictures of my sort of situation and equipment. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_9330.jpeg
    IMG_9330.jpeg
    549.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9331.jpeg
    IMG_9331.jpeg
    777.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9332.jpeg
    IMG_9332.jpeg
    530.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9333.jpeg
    IMG_9333.jpeg
    741.7 KB · Views: 2

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Check that your Hood Bonding Strap is in Good Order (NOT Corroded, Parted or Snapped off of the Firewall to Under-Hood Fasteners).

Ambient RF can get picked up and amplified near adjacent Antennae and cause *crackling* and Whining and RF Interference can thus emanate from the Speakers.

The same applies for ensuring ALL Powers and Grounds on the Radio Hardware and any Amplifiers are likewise correctly installed with recommended Shielding and Equipment Orientation placed as required.

Reactions: Mooseman

benjaminblazer

Original poster
Mar 25, 2024
michigan
Check that your Hood Bonding Strap is in Good Order (NOT Corroded, Parted or Snapped off of the Firewall to Under-Hood Fasteners).

Ambient RF can get picked up and amplified near adjacent Antennae and cause *crackling* and Whining and RF Interference can thus emanate from the Speakers.

The same applies for ensuring ALL Powers and Grounds on the Radio Hardware and any Amplifiers are likewise correctly installed with recommended Shielding and Equipment Orientation placed as required.
Not sure if this is terrible corroded but should i just run a new wire?

Attachments

• IMG_9344.jpeg
    IMG_9344.jpeg
    576.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9345.jpeg
    IMG_9345.jpeg
    581.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Excellent Images... And as you can see from the close-cropped focused versions of them adapted for this explanation...They ARE the Very Best (...as in The Very Worst...) of Examples of what happens when Galvanic Corrosion sets up in between Dissimilar Metals that can occur in the presence of a Salt Brine - Wet Environment. Over time...ALL Exposed Braided Copper will generate Copper Oxide from Pure Braided Copper and become DIELECTRIC AS THE RESULT:
GALVANICORROSION2.jpg

GALVANICORROSION1.jpg
The Green Colored Copper Wire ends prove that a good portion of that Green Infestation has invaded the length of the Ground Strap and this diminishes its ability to neutralize accumulated static or other incidental electrical energy. The OEM versions of these Bonding Straps should still be available at:

If Not.., Carefully remove their Contact Fasteners, Measure the Straps for Length and Eyelet Size and seek to purchase suitable replacements on Amazon.com. Clean the Affected Areas up with a Paste-Mixture of Water and Arm & Hammer Baking Soda. Then... Burnish the Contact surfaces to a Bright Shine and coat the intermediate surfaces of the New Bonding Strap Ends and Fasteners with a Dollop of Dielectric Grease to eliminate the return of this problem.

While this may not completely eliminate the *Crackling* issue...it will go a long way to reducing the RF Energy from Static Electrical discharge that ALWAYS produces Random Radio Waves as the Result (Like the Sound created when there is a Lightning Strike nearby and your Speakers respond by the *Crackle* Sound due to this RF Interference). An Un-Bonded Car or Truck Hood with a Poor Ground can act just like the Arecibo Antennae used to in Puerto Rico and collect and amplify random RF Energy from Space.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Attachments

• Ground Loops_ What They Are and How To Avoid Them.pdf
    900.8 KB · Views: 3

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
One thing i was able to test was hearing the noise while the car was in accessory mode, not with the alternator running, unless it runs in accessory mode?
OK... it is less likely that it is alternator problem although that does not totally rule that out as it is still "attached" to the circuits.

One other question: do you have some sort of "bypass module" for the system alerts because you have replaced the stock radio? Is any onstar system connected?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I290

Members Online