spare tire hoist/winch/latch deterioration

flyweed

Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Hey guys, I have a 2004 GMC Envoy XL....just had to use the spare tire a few days ago. Man, what a PAIN IN THE AZZ! The cable device was so rusted up, and locked up, I had to cut the lower "holder" off with a die grinder..so needless to say that spare tire winch is SHOT. What are you guys using to hold your spare tires up under your vehicles, if your cable winch devices are SHOT like mine is?

Thanks for any help

Dan

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I believe someone posted the Dorman replacement not too long ago in a thread. I'm on a mobile if not I would link it. I have not had any issues with mine but I will put a reminder to lubricate mine.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I had to replace my old one because like yours it was rusted up and shot. At the time I got a new OEM unit (which has been fine as I keep it greased up) but as mentioned there is a Dorman replacement unit that is designed differently to prevent that from happening again.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Did you disable the secondary safety on it first?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
And after replacing it, add a twice-a-year maintenance to your regular schedule. Lower spare, grease cable, winch, and latches, and check spare pressure as you inspect the tire for ozone cracks, etc.

flyweed

Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Well, I ended up finding a NOS OEM on FLEABAY for $74.99 Since the new ones are up over $150 now, I figured it was a good deal..so I"ll install it and be done with this.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
flyweed said:
Well, I ended up finding a NOS OEM on FLEABAY for $74.99 Since the new ones are up over $150 now, I figured it was a good deal..so I"ll install it and be done with this.

:confused: The link I posted it is only $76.79. What in the world are you looking at at $150?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I leave my spare in the rear cargo for the time being. I also had to cut mine down during routine maintenance. Never needed the spare, but figure I can be back on the road before most even get the wheel down from the hoist, Dorman or not.

I will probably purchase the Dorman after it has had some time on the roads. Keeping it lubed in the salt over 2months of below freezing all day long is maintenance I would like to forgo. Have you seen the side of the roads around here in the winter! Worst case, my wife gets a flat and parks the rear over a puddle.

HEY DORMAN, IF YOU ARE READING THIS SEND ME ONE TO TEST OUT! :rotfl:

Seriously.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
The_Roadie said:
And after replacing it, add a twice-a-year maintenance to your regular schedule. Lower spare, grease cable, winch, and latches, and check spare pressure as you inspect the tire for ozone cracks, etc.

:goodpost: I lube mine every time I change the oil. I learned this lesson after mine was rusted up and had to be torched off. I ended up grabbing a used one at a junk yard for $25.

Jared

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
I welded a nut to the upper crossmember and now use a through-bolt in place of the winch. Works fine... Been in place for 4 years already.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I still haven't opened the box for the sample Dorman sent me. Just busy with life and such. Gimme a bit and I'll post up some pics and comments in the original thread.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online