Spare tire hoist tool

Too much stuff

Original poster
Member
Dec 23, 2012
8
Hello all! My first post at this forum.

I have to drop the spare tire in my DiL's 2002 GMC Envoy. The problem is that the DPO lost the tool to lower the tire. The part I need is the rod that goes through the rear bumper area and engages the hoist. I tried using mine from my 1992 Chev K2500, but I guess the Envoy doesn't use a flat ended tool. Could someone post a picture of what the end of the tool looks like?

I went to the wrecker but there were no Envoys or Trailblazers in the yard - I guess they're too reliable as there were lots of Fords! :raspberry:

Anyway, since I don't know what other applications this tool was used in I didn't look at other vehicles. If someone might know, I can check other vehicles as she will need the correct tool.

The reason I need the spare down is she got in an accident with the truck and the front tire/rim was damaged along with the RH front corner, so I need to get the truck to our house to repair the damage.

Thanks,

Tom
 

81turboguy

Member
Nov 13, 2012
48
Too much stuff said:
Hello all! My first post at this forum.

I have to drop the spare tire in my DiL's 2002 GMC Envoy. The problem is that the DPO lost the tool to lower the tire. The part I need is the rod that goes through the rear bumper area and engages the hoist. I tried using mine from my 1992 Chev K2500, but I guess the Envoy doesn't use a flat ended tool. Could someone post a picture of what the end of the tool looks like?

I went to the wrecker but there were no Envoys or Trailblazers in the yard - I guess they're too reliable as there were lots of Fords! :raspberry:

Anyway, since I don't know what other applications this tool was used in I didn't look at other vehicles. If someone might know, I can check other vehicles as she will need the correct tool.

The reason I need the spare down is she got in an accident with the truck and the front tire/rim was damaged along with the RH front corner, so I need to get the truck to our house to repair the damage.

Thanks,

Tom
Welcome! I just had to take down my spare and boy was that a pita. I eventually had to have it towed and the shop railed on it to get that secondary lock loose. Do a little searching on removing it but I can tell you from experience that what the manual says about using the bottle jack won't work unless you have a cinder block to raise the jack up high enough. Good luck!
Here is a set of tools
Chevy Trailblazer Ext Jack and Tools | eBay
 

Too much stuff

Original poster
Member
Dec 23, 2012
8
Thx for the link .... now if he only had a picture showing the ends of the rod so I can see what the tip of the hoist rod looks like!

I'm not paying $45 + shipping for the one rod I need.
 

jbacklund

Member
Dec 16, 2012
118
Hey,

The end is squared and hollow. I can take a photo in an hour but my end is a little bit damaged. Tried to lower my spare tire as well but didn't work out.
 

TexazReece

Member
Dec 4, 2011
1,341
Welcome to The Nation..........i could get a pic up for u when I make it back from work but someone in the GMT Fam might post a pic up before then
 

Too much stuff

Original poster
Member
Dec 23, 2012
8
A picture is good ... but if you can also let me know what size the square is I'll buy the suitable square socket.
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,682
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You're looking at about a half inch, although there's a notch on one side. Never noticed that before...

IMAG0507.jpg


IMAG0508.jpg


IMAG0509.jpg
 

Too much stuff

Original poster
Member
Dec 23, 2012
8
Thx Blckshdw ... looks like I'll have to journey over to the wrecker to see what I can find. GM is usually pretty frugal when it comes to parts/assemblies so maybe they used that end on some of their other trucks too. Their were some 1998+ style pickups so I'll have a look at them.

On the DiL's truck the hoist part didn't seem that large, but then again my fingers don't have very good eyesight ... under a truck anyway!!:rotfl:
 

meerschm

Member
Aug 26, 2012
1,079
suspect you will have trouble getting the spare down, even with the right tool. they are famous for locking up. the tire may be ten years old anyway, and may not have much air in it.


might be better to take your jack and stand over, have the wheel repaired, and then drive it back to your place.

I just measured my extension, and the fitting is just under a half inch. 7/16 might work.

if you have a long 1/2 inch extension, it might work, if you use it backwards, and use a half inch open end or crescent wrench to turn. you may have trouble getting it through the opening. not much extra room.

good luck
 

Too much stuff

Original poster
Member
Dec 23, 2012
8
Thx for the 1/2" extension idea Mike! I have very short extensions which may work from underneath. I've spent 5,000+ hours working on vehicles over the last 30+ years so have quite a collection of tools. That time was spent working with my FiL who has been a licensed wrench for 50+ years. The only thing I've never gone is rebuild an automatic transmission.

The existing tire has a hole the size of a golf ball and the rim is smashed ... so I have to use the spare until I get an N80 option rim. Before I buy the tire/rim and necessary body panels I have to install new upper control arm, upper and lower ball joints, out tie rod, and sway bar link. Then I can get the truck to my place for the remaining work, and that gives her time to save a for more $$ to buy the next barrage of parts.

The spare is good, and has been down as the valve stem is facing down vs facing up from the factory. Now whether it will come down again is another story!! If all else fails I'll remove the hoist and try to get enough slack to remove the bracket holding the tire. If that fails I'll cut the cable and get another hoist.
 

meerschm

Member
Aug 26, 2012
1,079
I just checked, and I could get my ten inch long 1/2 extension to slide right through the hole in the body and engage the hoist mechanism. I did not try to lower the tire.

you may want to use a longer one, or bring a couple to get it out far enough, also may want to shim the inside of the extension socket a bit with some pipe hanging tape or something to make it fit closer

the socket end of my extension is 7/8 inch diameter
 

Too much stuff

Original poster
Member
Dec 23, 2012
8
Thx for checking Mike!!

We're supposed to get back around 50 degrees next week so I can get back at her. This week it was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

I'll let the forum know how I make out.
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
Too Much, don't take my question the wrong way; but your title makes me ask, you are aware, the "tool" you need, is the handle/rod for the jack?
 

Too much stuff

Original poster
Member
Dec 23, 2012
8
Good point Ray and no offense taken. Maybe they used different components through the years as I have the jack handle and it definitely isn't the tool to lower the hoist. Also the jacking instructions show the jack handle is used to turn the rod which is used to lower/raise the hoist. I am missing the rod that fits into the hoist.
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
Ok, but you also need that piece for the jack handle. I no longer have the Envoy, so I can't go out and check it, but I think the end that you need for the tire host is the end that the wrench attaches to creating the rotary handle.

Maybe one of the guys, with access to the shaft pieces could verify (also, how many pieces should be in the kit).

Edit: the more I think about it, the above can not be correct, as the wrench is also used as a handle to raise/lower the tire.

How many shaft pieces should be with the jack guys?
 

blazinlow89

Member
Jan 25, 2012
2,088
RayVoy said:
Ok, but you also need that piece for the jack handle. I no longer have the Envoy, so I can't go out and check it, but I think the end that you need for the tire host is the end that the wrench attaches to creating the rotary handle.

Maybe one of the guys, with access to the shaft pieces could verify (also, how many pieces should be in the kit).

Edit: the more I think about it, the above can not be correct, as the wrench is also used as a handle to raise/lower the tire.

How many shaft pieces should be with the jack guys?

My truck only came with 2 of the shaft pieces, a tire iron that looks nothing like the one pictured and the chocks. I usually use a 3/8 ratchet, 2 six inch extensions, and a half in 12 point socket (or close enough in metric, I think 14mm or 13mm). Makes it a breeze to put the cable up and down, if only the secondary latch cooperated. I just bought a 3 ton bottle jack that I keep under the seat.
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
blazinlow89 said:
My truck only came with 2 of the shaft pieces, a tire iron that looks nothing like the one pictured and the chocks.
Your right, I just slid over to the OS and looked at the '02 owner's manual; there are two shaft pieces. To lower the spare, you need the shaft piece with the female socket on one end and the male adapter, for the wrench handle, on the other. The jack uses both pieces, one piece is again used with the wrench handle, the other connects the first piece to the jack. Both pieces are the same length.
 

Too much stuff

Original poster
Member
Dec 23, 2012
8
Sorry for the late update, but I did end up getting the spare down some time ago. I have a 1/2" drive x 3/8" Allen key socket which is used to remove front caliper mount bolts from RWD GM cars back into the late 60's/early 70's depending on the platform. Anyway, the 1/2" drive end fit right onto the hoist drive rod, and with the 3/8' Allen key I was able to use a 3/8" socket to drive the hoist. Worked like a charm! I tried other 1/2" drive sockets which I had but the walls were too thick at the 1/2" drive square end.

Thanks everyone for your help!
 
  • Like
Reactions: W4UWC

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,321
Posts
637,914
Members
18,526
Latest member
GODSBROOKS

Members Online