Sound from tires at high speeds

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Hi guys,
I have been noticing a very faint sound like a rumbling or humming at speeds above 150km/hr (around 90m/hr). I am sure this has started after the tire replacement. It is very faint and with all the wind noise at that speed it is hard to really make out where it is coming from, but I think it is from the rear. There is no noticeable vibration at any speed. Any idea as to what it could be? The wheels were balanced & aligned during the tire replacement.

cody_s

Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Envoy09 said:
Hi guys,
I have been noticing a very faint sound like a rumbling or humming at speeds above 150km/hr (around 90m/hr). I am sure this has started after the tire replacement. It is very faint and with all the wind noise at that speed it is hard to really make out where it is coming from, but I think it is from the rear. There is no noticeable vibration at any speed. Any idea as to what it could be? The wheels were balanced & aligned during the tire replacement.

What kind of tread pattern do they have? Tires with more aggressive tread (All terrain, mud terrain, etc.) tend to make a little bit of noise on pavement.

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
cody_s said:
What kind of tread pattern do they have? Tires with more aggressive tread (All terrain, mud terrain, etc.) tend to make a little bit of noise on pavement.

Well, the new tires are not the aggressive thread. They are Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric SUV.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
cody_s said:

Seconded. Also, just because they balanced the tires doesn't mean they ran them up to 90 mph. At higher speeds, even
a small imbalance will become more noticeable, so there may have been nothing showing at 60 that is showing at 90.
Make sure they're properly inflated, as that can affect tread noise. What's the tire speed rating? Some that are rated
for lower speeds can start to deform a bit at higher speeds, even when you're inside the speed range, causing a change
in tread noise.

Good Luck!

Chris

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If you turn slightly left or right does the noise change or go away?

I am thinking it could just as likely be wheel bearings/hubs. When mine first went south it was only audible at highway speeds and changed as I switched lanes.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
How many miles, and are you current on changing your rear differential fluid?

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
You should hear my TB at 70 MPH with My Nokian Nordman SUV snow tires (with studs) on :biggrin: In addition to stud clatter, you get the low growling hum (like you would with mud tires). Maybe I'm wierd, but I love that sound :crazy: Wife wouldn't let me put the Cooper Discoverer AT3's on the truck, though...:hissyfit:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think the fix is to stop speeding so much :raspberry: *edit* Oh sorry you're in Kuwait, maybe their speed limits are much higher than here in NA.

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
christo829 said:
Seconded. Also, just because they balanced the tires doesn't mean they ran them up to 90 mph. At higher speeds, even
a small imbalance will become more noticeable, so there may have been nothing showing at 60 that is showing at 90.
Make sure they're properly inflated, as that can affect tread noise. What's the tire speed rating? Some that are rated
for lower speeds can start to deform a bit at higher speeds, even when you're inside the speed range, causing a change
in tread noise.

Good Luck!

Chris

So if there is a slight imbalance at high speeds, how do I get it rectified? The speed rating is in fact higher than my old tires; they are "V" (240km/hr) compared to the earlier "H". Tire pressure is at 35psi.

HARDTRAILZ said:
If you turn slightly left or right does the noise change or go away?

I am thinking it could just as likely be wheel bearings/hubs. When mine first went south it was only audible at highway speeds and changed as I switched lanes.

There is no change with turning. Since it started after the tire change, are there chances for the bearing to be the problem? I am finding it hard to explain the sound, it's more of a dull thud that increases with speed. And it does not sound like the normal thread noise.

the roadie said:
How many miles, and are you current on changing your rear differential fluid?

73000km (around 45000miles). All my services are at the dealer at the GM recommended intervals. When is the differential fluid change to be done? But again, I am sure it started after the tire change.

jbones said:
I got no idea if noise would be generated, but are all-4 Asymmetric mounted the same?

All 4 tires are the same.

Sparky said:
I think the fix is to stop speeding so much :raspberry: *edit* Oh sorry you're in Kuwait, maybe their speed limits are much higher than here in NA.

Ssshhhh....120km/h is the max.here

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Envoy09 said:
There is no change with turning. Since it started after the tire change, are there chances for the bearing to be the problem? I am finding it hard to explain the sound, it's more of a dull thud that increases with speed. And it does not sound like the normal thread noise.

I noticed mine when I switched to a set of AT tires from my mud terrains. I think I could not hear the bearing over the worn mud terrain tire noise.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.