some questions about leveling the front and tire sizes

psycho91

Original poster
Member
Mar 27, 2012
62
OK so I keep wondering this, will springs from a 4x4 trailblazer/envoy give a 2wd any lift or level the front out atleast, also what is the biggest tire that will fit in the back as IV noticed the back sits higher than the front
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
psycho91 said:
OK so I keep wondering this, will springs from a 4x4 trailblazer/envoy give a 2wd any lift or level the front out atleast, also what is the biggest tire that will fit in the back as IV noticed the back sits higher than the front
GM used over a dozen different stiffness springs in the factory, tuned to give the same sort of ride no matter what options were in the vehicle. So, yes - in general, 4WD springs are going to ride higher if installed in a 2WD vehicle. Or you can buy stiffer ones, except for the 2nd and 3rd most stiff springs in the catalog, which are now out of stock everywhere and GM isn't making any more.

Or you can keep your current springs, and add a 1 or 1.5" lift spacer inside the strut, depending on exactly how much lift your tape measure says you need to be level. SuspensionMAXX makes three different spacer thicknesses to allow that sort of fine tuning.

Larger tires in the back only are going to make it ride even HIGHER, and if you don't put the same size up front, then you can't rotate them properly. What's your purpose again?

In general, if you're not going to get into spacers to move the wheels outward, you need to limit the outer diameter to 30.5". Stock is 29". There are many tire size calculators on-line to help you find out what the outer diameter is for any proposed tire you want to buy.
 

psycho91

Original poster
Member
Mar 27, 2012
62
I was asking about the back just to ask cause I'm just going to level it and was wondering what size tire would fit, I know in the back from the bottom of the fender to the top of the tire I have 6 inches, and in the front I have 4 inches, I was looking at running a 275/65r17, but not quite sure on tire size yet

Also I was asking about the 4x4 springs cause I'm looking to lift it as cheap as possible
 

Me007gold

Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,106
psycho91 said:
I was asking about the back just to ask cause I'm just going to level it and was wondering what size tire would fit, I know in the back from the bottom of the fender to the top of the tire I have 6 inches, and in the front I have 4 inches, I was looking at running a 275/65r17, but not quite sure on tire size yet

At the front its not the fender you have to worry about. Its the upper ball joint that limits tire size.
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
psycho91 said:
Also I was asking about the 4x4 springs cause I'm looking to lift it as cheap as possible
Cheapest lift is those little rubber wedges you bang into the springs that JCWhitney sells for about $1.49.

But if you do that you'll take a LOT of flak. Unsafe, etc.

Installing springs isn't going to be cheap unless you know about spring compressors and where to rent them for free. Have you changed out strut components before?

I assume this isn't for an offroad mission, because you really can't do that safely on the cheap.
 

psycho91

Original poster
Member
Mar 27, 2012
62
I want to level it out anyway, so what's the biggest tire I can run with just a spacer

No its not for off roading
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
psycho91 said:
...what's the biggest tire I can run with just a spacer...
Assuming you mean strut spacer for spring preload, and not wheel spacer to move it outwards, the largest tire diameter you can run is 30.5". Use the tire calculators I mentioned earlier to find out what the outer diameter is of the tires you propose to install. Only you can find out what tire sizes are available in the tread pattern you want to run from the places you want to buy tires.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,480
Posts
639,811
Members
18,707
Latest member
obd

Members Online