So my Exhaust fell off today... (pics)

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yeah so I was driving today, and I noticed under light throttle, the exhaust was making a higher-pitched and muffled sound. I thought either the cat or muffler was partially clogged up or something, but I just had it inspected the week prior, so I wasn't totally sure. I have a flosound muffler with stainless tip, and I usually have exhaust drone at highway speeds, but there was none. Also, it felt like the RPM's were running a bit lower, and that the engine was more responsive with my throttle input. The shifts also seemed quicker, leading me to think that there was a higher buildup of backpressure.

So I go down a bumpy road to see if I can hear anything rattling, and as I'm going down it, I hear the exhaust fall out and dragging on the road. So I pull over, and exhaust pipe is broken off just before the tip on the rear hanger. Apparently the metal piping they used when they installed my exhaust was very weak compared with the OEM piping, since they used this as an extender for my exhaust tip. So basically it just sounds louder, and has a weird sound under light throttle loads. I'm debating whether to just leave it like so, get a new tip installed, or if I need to just opt for a whole new stainless-back exhaust and maybe just straight pipe it... or just put a better muffler on it.

Any suggestions? I mean its the I6, so sometimes I cringe when I hear someone drive away with it, but I really just don't feel like getting rid of it just yet. ugh :sadcry:

2m4V9.jpg

M9Ur3.jpg

This shows the piece of extender pipe that was installed to fit inside the OEM piping and tip, apparently it was a cheap piece of crap:
ervLQ.jpg

nxyn0.jpg

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Just leave it as it is, I have ran mine for years with my exhaust exiting just like yours is now and have no issues.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Regulator said:
Just leave it as it is, I have ran mine for years with my exhaust exiting just like yours is now and have no issues.

I like the look of the tip, plus it helps to baffle the sound a bit more so it doesn't sound as obnoxious (ricer-like). Its being put on the back burner for now though as a lower priority.

I have thought about just cutting it off after the cat, and just removing all the OEM piping and aftermarket muffler. Could always get a full exhaust put back on at some point.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Regulator said:

IslandRunner said:
I run mine like Regulator said w/ stock muffler and no ricer sound.

:iagree: x 2

I've had mine the same way for about a year now.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thinking about running headers out and at least making a video of it. I do not know of any videos that have an I6 headers out exhaust.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
What do you guys think of a 3" piping job from the cat back, and a 3" inlet/outlet muffler? Or just the 3" straight piping alone?

I've heard the issue with backpressure before but does it really apply to our trucks?

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:
What do you guys think of a 3" piping job from the cat back, and a 3" inlet/outlet muffler? Or just the 3" straight piping alone?

I've heard the issue with backpressure before but does it really apply to our trucks?

It could have a little affect on the performance, but not horribly. I personally would stick with the 2 3/4 or go 2 1/2. 3 inch is getting a little large... I think it is pretty crazy they went 2 3/4 at the factory actually, I feel that size flows about as good as you really need be while still keeping backpressure/scavenging effect in balance and not creating toooo much restriction.

Just going with a aftermarket and getting rid of the bottlenecks they put in the factory exaust for clearance would straighten flow out.

In the end, it is ur baby so do what you would feel alright with.

HELL, stick a stack on the back so you can blend in with the guy I saw the other day.... mid 80's s-10 with stacks... YEA! lol

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
*Ahem* Back pressure is never a good thing :wink:

You need to maintain exhaust velocity to keep the scavenging effect going properly otherwise yes you can lose low end torque/HP as the engine has to use some power to push the exhaust out instead of it sucking itself out.

Ideally we'd have dynamic sized piping that under various throttle conditions you'd have a variable sized exhaust (via multiple pipes maybe) to keep the optimal exhaust velocity without any back pressure at all, but that's not really a reasonable thing to do.

This thread makes me want to just lop off my can without putting anything on in its place, but I do have a little concern with just letting the exhaust exit under the vehicle like that.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Sparky said:

You need to maintain exhaust velocity to keep the scavenging effect going properly otherwise yes you can lose low end torque/HP as the engine has to use some power to push the exhaust out instead of it sucking itself out.

Ideally we'd have dynamic sized piping that under various throttle conditions you'd have a variable sized exhaust (via multiple pipes maybe) to keep the optimal exhaust velocity without any back pressure at all, but that's not really a reasonable thing to do.

This thread makes me want to just lop off my can without putting anything on in its place, but I do have a little concern with just letting the exhaust exit under the vehicle like that.

I initially went with a 3 inch in 3 inch out muffler and a 2.5 inch resonator at the tail end. I lost a little low end but picked up considerable top end. I have since installed a 2.25 inch resonator at the tail end and moved the 2.5 inch resonator right after the turn down over the axle. Regained most if not all the bottom end and mid to top end are still quite strong.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:

Alright so basically, if I put on this Magnaflow high-flow cat, and then straight piped it using 2 3/4" piping all the way back, using mandrel bends over the axle, and then put a tip on it, that would be the best setup for performance while still having the exhaust exit out the back? I too don't like the idea of the exhaust exiting underneath the truck.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
Alright so basically, if I put on this Magnaflow high-flow cat, and then straight piped it using 2 3/4" piping all the way back, using mandrel bends over the axle, and then put a tip on it, that would be the best setup for performance while still having the exhaust exit out the back? I too don't like the idea of the exhaust exiting underneath the truck.

I can't imagine it sounding good with no muffler and just a straight pipe, it will be LOUD and RASPY. My vote is to leave your muffler and 2.5 inch mandrel piping all the way back.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
familywagon12 said:
Ok here goes again, I posted in the worng section, ...
I MOVED your other post to its own thread. Go to Engine & Drivetrain and you can see it. Instead of hitting the "Reply to Thread" button while you're in somebody else's thread (it's called hijacking a thread, and is discouraged), go up a level to a forum, and hit the "Post new thread" button. That's all.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:

So what did you end up going with?

Jake Blazer

Mar 29, 2014
Sparky said:

Why is that there anyways? I lopped off mine yesterday and it runs the same....sound and performance. what is it? and what is a drone?

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Sparky said:

Everyone's doing it...

A lot of us don't run trash cans or exhaust tips. I don't have a tip on my 5.3. First mod i did if i remember correctly.

Jake Blazer said:
Why is that there anyways? I lopped off mine yesterday and it runs the same....sound and performance. what is it? and what is a drone?

Probably some fat cat politician somewhere that needed to validate his own job by adding more regulations to the auto industry.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
DDonnie said:
Everyone's doing it...

A lot of us don't run trash cans or exhaust tips. I don't have a tip on my 5.3. First mod i did if i remember correctly.

If you look, that post of mine was 1.5 years ago :raspberry: I had since chopped the can, and then early this year I ended up with a whole new exhaust and it now exits behind the rear tire.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Jake Blazer said:

Not "A" drone... drone as in the sound an exhaust can make when cruising at speed.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
DDonnie said:
Probably some fat cat politician somewhere that needed to validate his own job by adding more regulations to the auto industry.

I don't think there's any such regulation. The resonator was likely an exhaust-note-tuning choice on the part of the designers, since some engineers or other behind-the-scenes folks noticed it doesn't exactly coincide with the expectations arising in the 2000s for exceptionally-quiet and comfortable rides, even out of a vehicle not marketed specifically as luxury. It's really about how your motor is running, and how good your ears are, and if the stars are lined up just right, to get a drone.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Sparky said:
If you look, that post of mine was 1.5 years ago :raspberry: I had since chopped the can, and then early this year I ended up with a whole new exhaust and it now exits behind the rear tire.

Damn, didn't realize this was a zombie thread, lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online