Slow rev in park.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
What's up guys. New to gmtnation(came from trailvoy) and have a question. I have an 03 tb 4.2 2wd L's. It seems that I have a weird kind of rev limiter. When in park or neutral, it doesn't want to rev. It will rev very slowly to about 3k then just hang there. Like I said, it is very slow and not like anything I've seen before. Most cars will rev just fine to the limiter then bounce. This just hangs at about 3 k. It'll go just fine when in gear(albeit slow till about 4k, then she takes off). Just wondering if this is normal for this vehicle or indicative of a problem. Anyway to remove this or at least rev faster? Thanks again

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
That's the way the platform is...3,000 rpm limit in park. Yes, they do seems to kick at about 4,000 rpm on the street...v-tec yo!

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
I was thinking about a tune from pcm4less. I can't ignore everyone raving about them,so I figured I'd give it a try. With that, will they be able to remove this? I hope so, I hate it. The king must announce his presence when arriving to his subjects!!! Lol jk.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds like my old 02 did.
PCMofNC (that's who it is now) can change the rev limiters and such, yes. And can wake up the throttle response as well.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Awesome I hate the slow starts. That damned torque management!!! It is fun when I have some riders with me on the way to shows and meets and they like oh this thing is slo...oh shit lol

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
When the shifter is in P or N, the TB will not respond like it does in gear, like others stated, this is normal and doesn't dictate the way the engine responds in gear.

I highly DO NOT recommend doing this, but if you pull the shifter back from the "P" position about halfway to the "R" position without engaging reverse, you can rev the engine freely as the PCM thinks it's in gear.

The reason I don't recommend doing this, is if the trans engages while revving the engine, then you will destroy the sunshell and the tranny will be toast.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
IF I recall correctly there is no way to alter the revlimiter in park. One of our members I think was able to trick the pcm via a very custom tune? But I don't believe he said how because you could potentially do harm. If I'm wrong please let me know.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check with @limequat at lime-swap.com. He's a member here and an enthusiast of this platform and engine. He can do a tune as good or better than PCM0fNC at a much lower cost. I'm pretty sure he can remove the rev limiter.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Does he work the same? Like does he send a PCM and then I send in mine?I think that's how pcmofnc works anyway. Only reason I'm asking is because this is my dad and I can't go without it while waiting on a tune.

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
Hello friend. I dont recommend this parlor trick. You are much better off just getting a good tune and then romping on these noobs. But as you can see the values listed are at 100. That means 100% allowable throttle response with only me being the limiting factor. I need to drop it back down but as you can see the values in park and neutral are as low as can be leaving a slow throttle input and increase in modulation. Awaiting imgur upload...

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
OK cool thanks how much do you charge? Honestly, that's not a deal breaker, mostly concerned about the torque management and throttle response. Also I was thinking about the sensor that shows the PCM the tranny position. I doubt this is via data bus, so theoretically, you should be able to intercept the signal wire to the PCM and change the reading from there. Whether it be a potentiometer type(or something like it) or just your basic momentary that a lever hits on its way through. I would assume that even with simple toggle you would be able to turn off the park or neutral signal and engage the drive, reverse etc. Really just thinking aloud. Any clarity is appreciated. Again not too worried bout it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I believe it reads off of the lever on the side of the trans. The data is fed via a sensor on said lever is my guess. Way back when reving in park could theoretically kill the parking Pawl? I would guess such may still be the case? That would also possibly explain why pcmofnc wouldn't change that or they simply can't. I don't know. It's not a race truck anyway so who cares.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Like I said, just thinking aloud. I like to know how things work and how I can change them, even if I have no plans to if that makes sense. As for the race truck comment, right now, no it is my dd. As soon as I get another for myself, it will be a race truck. Right now it is my dd but is being turned into a show truck. While this is slow going, it has been started, and nothing can stop it... Lol jk. I do appreciate all feedback as well as suggestions for mods, changes to any plans I may have. If you guys have not seen it I have posted a build thread.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Like I said, just thinking aloud. I like to know how things work and how I can change them, even if I have no plans to if that makes sense. As for the race truck comment, right now, no it is my dd. As soon as I get another for myself, it will be a race truck. Right now it is my dd but is being turned into a show truck. While this is slow going, it has been started, and nothing can stop it... Lol jk. I do appreciate all feedback as well as suggestions for mods, changes to any plans I may have. If you guys have not seen it I have posted a build thread.
Not toward you, toward myself. Mine is not a race truck. :2thumbsup:

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Oh OK lol. I been thinking about 6.0 swap in the not so near not so distant future. I was reading that the SSRs were based on the Sam platform(mines a 360 and SSR is 368) I would love to have a 6.0 with a 6 speed manual. I understand it would be a lot of work to get it done but that's fine. Any thought? I think it would be bad ass and possibly one of the only tb's like it. I miss having a 3rd pedal but don't want to let this go.

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
We have all been down that road. REalistically the only real way to make cheap available power without spending a fortune is to tune it. turbo it, which that itself is difficult. or to blast it with nitrous. thats it.

As for remote tunes, I really don't do that or I can but havent made a banch harness yet, but I cant offer it as cheap as lime. I don't have the whole MY Credit unlocked, but his prices are kickass for a great tune anyway.

28gqq6s.jpg

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Oh you know imma be playin with spray. Looking into the tune. I doubt I'll ever get to a turbo. I'd like to have one but I'm too pedal happy. Maybe after I get a new dd to haul the kids. Don't want one while they in there

Jeffrey gray

Sep 9, 2017
Jamestown, ny
Hey peps. Just a comment. (Can’t go without saying something lol). I went with PCM4Less (as I know him and that’s who I wrote the check out to). But it cost me $320 for a tuned pcm. But I didn’t have to send mine in and I have an extra one ( like Keith put it, they’re getting harder and harder to find). I should receive it tomorrow, hopefully. But for the most part, Keith is very easy to work with and based out of Ohio. Pcm of nc is for pcms before 1996 as I understand it. Very excited to get it. Will keep you posted on the results. I didn’t know about limequat before I ordered it but I’m confident PCM4Less will be just as good if not better. Plus I have an extra pcm if I need one. As far as I know he’s able to tune for tire size, performance, shifts, and delete mil. As far as revving past 3000 in park......why???? Not sure why you’d want to rev it up with no load on it. Not good for engines to rev em up like that with no load on them. Js

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Pcm4less are certainly good at what they do. Just overpriced IMHO.

The PCMs should actually be getting easier to find now as more of these trucks are finding their way to yards. They are not know to fail so a spare is really a luxury at this point. Now, you will likely need a CASE relearn with that new PCM.

Just to give you an idea, I even found a PCM for my 07 in the u-pull so I had my own "loaner" while mine was gone to Lime. The cross border thing made it a month long affair so that was good for me.

Jeffrey gray

Sep 9, 2017
Jamestown, ny
Yeah I definitely should have went with lime but I didn’t discover him until I had already made the with PCM4Less. I’m a man of my word so I wasn’t going to back out after I made a deal with him. Next time though I may consider lime. I have 03 Acura TL that will need one but that’s for another site. Btw I received my pcm today. No case relearn or even a security relearn. Plug and play and I was even able to pass inspection. Waho. Great site by the way. Very knowledgeable. And I’d like to thank Keith at PCM4Less for your help. Even though the price tag is triple your closest competition. Maybe we can somehow get the price down. No buyers remorse though. Very happy with what I got.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
PCM4Less is literally 10 minutes from me...but I'm going to send mine to Lime in February when I'm in Florida for a couple of weeks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online