Side to side play on rear axles?

CDN TBSS

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Anybody know if there should be ANY play side to side on the rear axles?

I just put the winter wheels and tires on and noticed that I could 'pull and push' the back wheels towards and away from me (fronts are tight). Not anything I could measure without taking it apart, just kind of a clunk back and forth, but should there be any at all?

Didn't notice it previously, but maybe I wasn't looking for it either? Thoughts? Concerns? Imminent Disaster? :eek:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
"C-clips in the diff hold the axles in place and there will be an amount of end play" - Trailvoy hopefully someone can chime in on this one Roadie where ya at lol

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
1/8"-3/16" is typical. Don't think it should get to 1/4".

jham

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
1/8"-3/16" is typical. Don't think it should get to 1/4".

I have to agree with roadie as usual. I just recently did my G80 swap and the play was around 1/8 to 3/16 which to me seemed liked alot. But with a c-clip set up I think the clips can wear which will cause a little more play

CDN TBSS

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Thanks guys, :thumbsup:

I'm sure it's well within these specs, but when I get the front hub swapped out later this week, I'll ask them to check the rear just to make sure.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
CDN TBSS said:
Thanks guys, :thumbsup:

I'm sure it's well within these specs, but when I get the front hub swapped out later this week, I'll ask them to check the rear just to make sure.

I've been into a 9.5" rear before. I recall there being a bit more play on the axles than the 8's and 8.6's. Most likely due to the side gears on the LSD being cut out a little deeper.

G80 rears have less play than non-G80s IIRC.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
jham said:
I have to agree with roadie as usual. I just recently did my G80 swap and the play was around 1/8 to 3/16 which to me seemed liked alot. But with a c-clip set up I think the clips can wear which will cause a little more play

:iagree: You are good. Don't feel to bad, I went through that same "What the hell" moment a few weeks ago myself. :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.