Show your LED workshop

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
There might be a better sections for this, but I kinda think of it as a tie in with the LED thread. Having just cleaned up my work area some over the weekend, I was wondering what other people are working with in their soldering stations. Here's where I try to shove enough stuff aside to work on things.

View attachment 28117

Attachments

• IMG_20130512_191406_801.jpg
    IMG_20130512_191406_801.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 28

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
CdnGMan said:
That's quite impressive. :thumbsup:
I totally wish I had the confidence / understanding to work on LED's... :hissyfit:

Nothing to it, bro. Read through a few threads, get your head fully wrapped around Ohm's Law (pretty simple once you actually read it), $10 order on ebay...once you murder a few led's you'll get the hang of it :rotfl:
worked for me...emphasis on the reading part, though.
((Oh, and I can't speak for the rest of the guys on here...but if you're afraid of what seem like 10th degree burns at the time, stay away from the soldering iron completely...I tend to be a bit clumsy/absent minded around it :stars:

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
NinjuhhNutz said:
Nothing to it, bro. Read through a few threads, get your head fully wrapped around Ohm's Law (pretty simple once you actually read it), $10 order on ebay...once you murder a few led's you'll get the hang of it :rotfl:
worked for me...emphasis on the reading part, though.
((Oh, and I can't speak for the rest of the guys on here...but if you're afraid of what seem like 10th degree burns at the time, stay away from the soldering iron completely...I tend to be a bit clumsy/absent minded around it :stars:

I've tried to wrap my head around it... believe me... :confused:
I'm not a fan of math in the least and I'm highly terrified of electricity, so I'm sure that plays a huge part in all of this...

BlckShdw has been trying for years to get me "LED'ing" but I just don't get the whole resistor calculation thing... as long as I know people who know what they're doing I'll be fine... it's not nearly as satisfying as making my own I know, but I'll still get in there and help with the install where I can... :yes:

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Gotcha, the electricity part doesn't bother me near as bad as the several scars I have from the iron...lol
Don't stress it, I was neck deep in wiring for my remote start install, changed all the interior lights to led, but couldn't mold a friggin clear corner lense to save my life. Destroyed an entire sheet of ceiling diffuser before I called it quits lol
It's the little things...

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Well, hit up a few guys around here. I haven't yet found a problrm or had a question that someone wasn't willing to help with. ((even the "check the fuse" advicr 1000x over when I was looking right over the fuse that was blown lol :duh:

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
It drives me crazy that in high school i had access to any fab tools that i might need (welders, band saws, cnc machines, etc.) but i had no idea what to do with them or the money for materials. Now that i can buy materials and have lots of uses for those tools, i dont have access to them!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I wish I had a sweet lil setup for a workshop. I suppose you can say my workshop is mobile. Most of the time, it consists of a TV tray as I sit on the couch watching something boring. Other times it's the kitchen table, or a counter. Depends on how much room I need, vs how comfortable I want to be.

Greg, the difficulties are all in your head. Like Chris said, you just have to jump in the deep end, you'll start swimming on your own before you know it. That's what I did. Bought some cheap stuff off Ebay, got the Radio Shack starter soldering kit (that crappy iron makes soldering SO much more difficult that it should be), practiced with a couple pieces of scrap wire, and off I went.

I'd say start with some little, non GMT, projects. Like solder a couple LEDs together with a resistor in front, and connect em to a 9V battery. It's the little victories that fuel you to go farther :yes:

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
CdnGMan said:
I'd love to be able to quickly fab together something as I have a few little ideas that I'd like to try, but not understanding the basics tends to create a challenge... :banghead:

LED Resistor Calculator
Current limiting Resistor calculator for leds

LED's are actually pretty forgiving as long as you don't dump too much power in (they are really bright for a really short period of time - POP)
Above are a couple calculators that make things easier. As far as soldering, I'm an ugly solderer. The soldering iron burns don't really hurt though since it's so hot it just destroys the nerves. Hot solder/plastic/etc can suck though.

My soldering iron related video
[video=youtube;ZbbgprlHS7c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbgprlHS7c[/video]

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
if you are too worried about burns, wear some leather gloves :biggrin:

Honestly though, i have never burnt myself with a soldering iron. If i had one suggestion to make, dont spend less than 50 bucks on your first soldering iron. You will only frustrate yourself and probably will give up on the hobby.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
DDonnie;137664 said:

Honestly though, i have never burnt myself with a soldering iron. If i had one suggestion to make, dont spend less than 50 bucks on your first soldering iron. You will only frustrate yourself and probably will give up on the hobby.

Haha...I usually have something in the background that I'm jammin to as I work, and just zone out and work. It doesn't help that I don't have a stand for my cheap-o radioshack iron...

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
Haha...I usually have something in the background that I'm jammin to as I work, and just zone out and work. It doesn't help that I don't have a stand for my cheap-o radioshack iron...

Dude! You gotta get a better iron man, the first time i saw my digitally controlled iron hit 700 degress F in 30 seconds, i was sold.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
After I got fed up with the Radio Shack special, I bought this one, with some differently shaped tips. Makes all the difference in the world when you can change the tip to fit your application better. :yes:

[EBAY]270901702389[/EBAY]

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Grimor said:
There might be a better sections for this, but I kinda think of it as a tie in with the LED thread. Having just cleaned up my work area some over the weekend, I was wondering what other people are working with in their soldering stations. Here's where I try to shove enough stuff aside to work on things.

View attachment 14498

Your workbench is as messy as mine but you've got the advantage of a nice flat screen. I'll try to grab a shot of my bench in its current condition.

CdnGMan said:
I've tried to wrap my head around it... believe me... :confused:
I'm not a fan of math in the least and I'm highly terrified of electricity, so I'm sure that plays a huge part in all of this...

BlckShdw has been trying for years to get me "LED'ing" but I just don't get the whole resistor calculation thing... as long as I know people who know what they're doing I'll be fine... it's not nearly as satisfying as making my own I know, but I'll still get in there and help with the install where I can... :yes:

Very little chance you'll hurt yourself with 12 - 15 V DC. More likely you'll find the wrong end of the soldering iron. Don't ask me how I know.

Blckshdw said:
After I got fed up with the Radio Shack special, I bought this one, with some differently shaped tips. Makes all the difference in the world when you can change the tip to fit your application better. :yes:

I have an Ungar iron in a Weller controllable base. The iron's tip is starting to wear and I think I'll have a hard time finding a replacement or a replacement heating element. but you've given me an idea to check eBay.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
DDonnie said:

Jinxed myself. Burnt myself twice tonight. Not bad though, stops hurting after a few seconds

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Blckshdw said:

coughed, winked, nudged, and pointed at this post a couple hours ago...right before the gf made me get off the forums and "watch the movie with me" haha
will either be buying this, or getting it as a bday gift in 2 weeks...either way, I'm gonna blow the radio shack special up :yes:
maybe some tannerite and break out the baby :lipsrsealed:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I caught myself on the wrong end of that Radio Shack iron more than a few times because of that sorry excuse for a stand that came in their kit. Bump the cord the wrong way, it turns slightly, and next thing you know the birds in the trees outside the window are offended by what comes out of your mouth and fly away :crackup:

Mark20 said:
I have an Ungar iron in a Weller controllable base. The iron's tip is starting to wear and I think I'll have a hard time finding a replacement or a replacement heating element. but you've given me an idea to check eBay.

NinjuhhNutz said:
coughed, winked, nudged, and pointed at this post a couple hours ago...right before the gf made me get off the forums and "watch the movie with me" haha
will either be buying this, or getting it as a bday gift in 2 weeks...either way, I'm gonna blow the radio shack special up :yes:
maybe some tannerite and break out the baby :lipsrsealed:

I was considering getting a more expensive iron, as I had heard hotter is better, but opted for this one anyway. I set mine at 400 degrees and soldering is so much easier. The same seller also has replacement tips, I am partial to the chisel tip myself. The tips are a piece of cake to keep clean. I remember my radio shack one, the tip would get all screwed up if left on for too long, and harder to keep clean :twocents:

[EBAY]270771000535[/EBAY]

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online