Shift linkage (cable) bending when I try to put it in park

jsheahawk

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
I tried to shift into park earlier, and it wouldn't go into park. I put the e-brake on and crawled under the truck. I manually put it in park. I tried it again, and it did the same thing. It appears that my shift linkage is flexing between the transmission and the bracket.

Any ideas on a fix for this, or will I likely need a whole new linkage?

Jared

jsheahawk

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Well, I answered my own question. It looks like the plastic sleeve that goes around the cable broke and has been allowing it to flex. All that flexing broke the cable off at the rod that attaches to the shift lever. I definitely have to replace the whole thing.

Is the AC/Delco part number 15785087? That's what RockAuto gives, but Amazon says it won't fit. Amazon has been wrong before though.

Jared

Attachments

• 2014-04-11 19.24.46.jpg
    2014-04-11 19.24.46.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 2014-04-11 19.26.59.jpg
    2014-04-11 19.26.59.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 5
  • 2014-04-11 19.30.23.jpg
    2014-04-11 19.30.23.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 5

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

jsheahawk

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Mooseman said:
So far, everything says it will fit. On Amazon's Q&A, some asked if it would fit an '04 and they said yes. Plugged the number into Google, found this and it fits all years and models: CABLE. Transmission Shift Control Cable. SHIFT CONTROL MOUNTING/AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. Chevrolet # 15785087
Cool. Thanks for confirming for me. It'll be here Monday (Prime FTW!).

I think I'll take a bunch of pictures because I haven't seen an article or submission on changing it.

Jared

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That would be awesome to add to the site. Just one thought though. Is the transmission shift lever or pivot working OK? Just wondering why that piece would break like that.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
How is the cable attached to the rod? I can not tell from the pictures. Thanks.

jsheahawk

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Mooseman said:
That would be awesome to add to the site. Just one thought though. Is the transmission shift lever or pivot working OK? Just wondering why that piece would break like that.
It appears to be. I can't find anyone else who has had this issue though.

Texan said:
How is the cable attached to the rod? I can not tell from the pictures. Thanks.
The cable goes into the back of the rod. I'm not sure if it's just epoxied in place our what. The cable repeatedly flexed and broke off right at the back of the rod. The cable it's surrounded by that broken plastic piece so it and the rod stay in line. I was scratching my head on the mechanics of it for a moment as well.

Part of me wants to install a servo and push rod to make out electric, but I'm sure I'd just fuck something up. :smile:

Jared

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It has to be mechanical so it can still be controlled if the power is out. I remember when older vehicles had them similar to this but it was a metal rod instead of plastic. They keep making them cheaper and cheaper :frown:.

jsheahawk

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Mooseman said:
It has to be mechanical so it can still be controlled if the power is out. I remember when older vehicles had them similar to this but it was a metal rod instead of plastic. They keep making them cheaper and cheaper :frown:.
The rod is metal, but the sleeve is plastic. The sleeve is what broke.

Jared

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m3talc0re

Members Online