Service Stabilitrac and Onstar

07Blazerman

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
102
Ok so about 2 weeks ago, I got a car wash and the following morning my service stabilitrac lights both came on on my way to workout, Of course after working out I started her up and of course no light, but I still took it in to the dealer when they opened and after an hour -nothing can't find anything wrong. I did show them the receipt of when the steering wheel sensor was replaced under warranty 2 years ago, but they said it was fine. Then last weekend it was beatiful so I got a wash so I could put a coat of sealant on and sure enough the next morning-sunday the light came on-coincidence???? So of course the next few days no light, but was researching and saw a suggestion of activating my Onstar , so I called them up and got 3 months free. So this morning after driving to work in the snow, no light all the way there, but after letting it sit for 5 hours and going out on my lunch to move her to my usual spot once it got plowed the light came on, I pushed the Onstar button, and got the code ....CO455 ABS system so now it makes sense with the car washes. They gave me the code, called the dealer, gave them the info, made an appointment, and now it should get fixed. I just don't know why the codes that set that system off don't get stored and can only be read while it is on. To get that sterring wheel sensor fixed took 3 months and multiple trips to the dealer, this time all I have to say is Onstar rules and I very well might keep it active when my trial is up.:biggrin:
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
All codes are stored in memory, including the ABA codes.

If the dealer was 3 months fixing the last problem, and can not find/see the current problem, maybe it's time to try a different dealer :twocents:
 

ChriSS K

Member
Jan 3, 2012
243
07Blazerman said:
Ok so about 2 weeks ago, I got a car wash and the following morning my service stabilitrac lights both came on on my way to workout, Of course after working out I started her up and of course no light, but I still took it in to the dealer when they opened and after an hour -nothing can't find anything wrong. I did show them the receipt of when the steering wheel sensor was replaced under warranty 2 years ago, but they said it was fine. Then last weekend it was beatiful so I got a wash so I could put a coat of sealant on and sure enough the next morning-sunday the light came on-coincidence???? So of course the next few days no light, but was researching and saw a suggestion of activating my Onstar , so I called them up and got 3 months free. So this morning after driving to work in the snow, no light all the way there, but after letting it sit for 5 hours and going out on my lunch to move her to my usual spot once it got plowed the light came on, I pushed the Onstar button, and got the code ....CO455 ABS system so now it makes sense with the car washes. They gave me the code, called the dealer, gave them the info, made an appointment, and now it should get fixed. I just don't know why the codes that set that system off don't get stored and can only be read while it is on. To get that sterring wheel sensor fixed took 3 months and multiple trips to the dealer, this time all I have to say is Onstar rules and I very well might keep it active when my trial is up.:biggrin:

I was having the "service stabilitrac" light come on and the dealer couldn't find anything either. I happend to be near the dealer one day when it went off and I had to have them scan it to fine it was the steering wheel sensor like yours. What a pain... Glad you got your fixed.
 

c bausch

Member
Jan 13, 2012
183
dont quote me on this but a buddy of mine had the same issue took it to the dealer and they said there was a bad sensor in the steering colume that made the dummy light come on so he replaces the sensor in the colume and never went on again :twocents:
 

07Blazerman

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
102
c bausch said:
dont quote me on this but a buddy of mine had the same issue took it to the dealer and they said there was a bad sensor in the steering colume that made the dummy light come on so he replaces the sensor in the colume and never went on again :twocents:

Yep that is the infamous steering wheel sensor that seems to be a known issue. Even though back in the day when the os was the info place, when I started getting those lights-Roadie knew right away, but the dealer kept updating the pcm, updating the pcm must of been reflashed 4-5 times with updates. Everytime I went in the lights of course were not on until one day on the way home it came on.

Rayvoy that is part of the reason, I don't go back to that dealer anymore even though they are right down the street. And with this last light on I gave them a try again as they were bought out and changed ownership and people, but alas they said the same thing with this last light on. So I won't be going back anymore and I knew I should of taken it to the dealer I use now. And as for the codes being stored the original dealer told me that they are not, so once again more of a reason not to go back. I will find out today what the code co455 turns out to be, bad sensor, or what and will post.
 

ChriSS K

Member
Jan 3, 2012
243
07Blazerman said:
Yep that is the infamous steering wheel sensor that seems to be a known issue. Even though back in the day when the os was the info place, when I started getting those lights-Roadie knew right away, but the dealer kept updating the pcm, updating the pcm must of been reflashed 4-5 times with updates. Everytime I went in the lights of course were not on until one day on the way home it came on.

Rayvoy that is part of the reason, I don't go back to that dealer anymore even though they are right down the street. And with this last light on I gave them a try again as they were bought out and changed ownership and people, but alas they said the same thing with this last light on. So I won't be going back anymore and I knew I should of taken it to the dealer I use now. And as for the codes being stored the original dealer told me that they are not, so once again more of a reason not to go back. I will find out today what the code co455 turns out to be, bad sensor, or what and will post.

I could be wrong, but I think its not a matter or replacing andd going...I think it has to be calibrated once its installed? It measures the degrees left to right and it needs to know what center is in order to operate properly. Again I'm not 100% sure?
 

c bausch

Member
Jan 13, 2012
183
I had dealers jerk me around to don't feel bad there just trying to make money too my truck does the same thing just didn't have time to fix it yet
 

07Blazerman

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
102
So now 2 codes come up c0244 and c0455, same 2 codes from when I had the steering wheel sensor replaced. Any ideas? Just a coincidence with the car washes and snow? I told them do what it takes to fix as I am not going thru the same bs I went thru at the other dealership. Spray water underneath and spray the wheel bearing sensor, speed sensor as I can't see it being the steering whell sensor again unless its coincidence with the washes. I believe there is only 3 sensors controlling the system correct? After looking online I heard mention of the wiring harness being bad but not very common. Any help or ideas are appreciated.
 

07Blazerman

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
102
ChriSS K said:
I could be wrong, but I think its not a matter or replacing andd going...I think it has to be calibrated once its installed? It measures the degrees left to right and it needs to know what center is in order to operate properly. Again I'm not 100% sure?

No problems for 2+ years. Only other thing that I can think of is my pcmforless reflash. But they should have all the updated software.:confused:
 

07Blazerman

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
102
Still nothing found, apparently the abs module is underneath the truck on the frame rail, they opened it up and did not find any moisture, but did find that the previous dealer put a lot of grease-maybe a tsb not mentioned in my paperwork. I hate these intermitant problems. Anyone any ideas?????:confused:
 

Jkust

Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
For code reading onstar is great. When we first got my wife's Rainier it would throw a few of the usual codes like service stabilitrac and check engine. The onstar was awesome to at least know what the code number was when the dealer serviced it under warranty. The only thing a car wash ever did to our first Rainier was throw a misfire code, did it every time at the car wash and we'd even get the blinking check engine light right away. Never got it fixed or trouble shot before it was totaled.
 

07Blazerman

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
102
Jkust said:
For code reading onstar is great. When we first got my wife's Rainier it would throw a few of the usual codes like service stabilitrac and check engine. The onstar was awesome to at least know what the code number was when the dealer serviced it under warranty. The only thing a car wash ever did to our first Rainier was throw a misfire code, did it every time at the car wash and we'd even get the blinking check engine light right away. Never got it fixed or trouble shot before it was totaled.

probably was the hood seal. Well after reading on seeing some people had to replace the pcm and I was concerned possibly with the pcm being taken out and sent in it somehow got damaged or was reflashed possibly with out some updates, I don't think so, as the first time it reappeared was on 12/10 after my car wash on 12/9 checking receipts and taking it in to the old dealer on 12/10. I put the loaner pcm in on 12/17, so hopefuly that is not it.:frown:
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,438
Posts
639,262
Members
18,655
Latest member
Jaywebb25