service brakes safety interlock?

Buff

Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
I know this can't be a first, but I can't find another thread that's the same problem.

Entering a roundabout lightly touched brakes and felt ABS kicking in, "service brakes" in DIC, engine dies. Will not crank, locked in park.

Bad sensor? ABS module?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Bad ignition switch? I can't think of anything else that would cause a no crank and an abs issue.

Reactions: Tiggerr and Capote

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like an electrical issue. Check the battery and terminals. Check the ground connections. The ignition switch would be next.

Reactions: Capote

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
When you have a minute... please add some information in your personal profile about your vehicle... Year-Make-Model, etc. as sometimes the advice you get about certain problems is limited or needs to modified to suit that situation.

Now that @Mooseman has "Grounded" you with the right thing to investigate... this generalized video describes how it gets done. Check out @Mooseman 's signature for access to the Manual(s) for your particular vehicle... as this video describes "The Fix" on a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado...and the multiple Ground Connectors on your vehicle may be at different locations down there under the SUV:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
The last bad ignition switch I replaced sent a faulty ABS code constantly, as well as other randomly occurring cluster lights to come on and off intermittently. I'm leaning towards this being a bad ignition switch as well. In my experience, seeing an ABS light come on with no indication or physical feeling of a braking issue is usually due to the ignition switch crapping out. If this does turn out to be your issue OP, invest in an OEM AC Delco one. Don't get an aftermarket one, and for sure stay away from Dorman. Their electronic parts have a huge bad rep for going bad way early.

Last edited:

Buff

Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
I just happen to have a spare ignition switch (have had that issue several times before) so I'll swap it out to see, but I did post that the ABS did kick in. It pulsed for several seconds before the DIC notice and the engine dying, the road was dry and clear, I was only slowing slightly to enter a roundabout. 2005 Envoy XL SLT, 5.3, 4WD.

Buff

Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Tried a brand new AC Delco ignition switch, no change. I'll start checking grounds later this weekend. Time for Thanksgiving, You all have a good one!

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I'd also check for codes if you can. Then go for grounds and fuses. See if that comes back with anything.

Reactions: Mooseman and Capote

Buff

Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Okay, I've eliminated any electrical issues. There are no codes. The ABS was pulsing when this happened so I think it's a wheel speed sensor. I was hoping the scanner would tell me which one. I guess I just have to replace each one until I find the one that works.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ah, so was the ABS activating slowing down at slow speed without actual lockup? I should have picked up on that in your first post. That's a classic case of a bad front wheel hub. Like you said, which one? You would need an advanced scanner like a Tech 2 to check each wheel speed.

However, the sensor itself is rarely the problem. It's usually the hub itself that is failing and giving bad speed readings, probably the tone ring inside wobbling as the bearing fails.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If you have access to say torque you can see speeds at each wheel and spin them by hand to see which one is off. You'll see it on stops it should jump around. Do a nice slow stop barely touching the brakes and I bet it'll show up right away.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You sure Torque can scan those since they are ABS?

Buff

Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Hey guys, The safety interlock is active. That means it will not start, nor can I take the transmission out of park. I don't have a garage anymore, she got the house with my shop. So no lift, hardly any tools.
I think I'm just going to have to go see a loan shark and send it to the stealer.

Buff

Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Ah, so was the ABS activating slowing down at slow speed without actual lockup? I should have picked up on that in your first post. That's a classic case of a bad front wheel hub. Like you said, which one? You would need an advanced scanner like a Tech 2 to check each wheel speed.

However, the sensor itself is rarely the problem. It's usually the hub itself that is failing and giving bad speed readings, probably the tone ring inside wobbling as the bearing fails.

Yes, I was just entering a roundabout, tapped the brakes and well, the rest is history. I had the rotors and all replaced about 18 months ago. Torque isn't doing me any good since my Bluetooth adapter seems to have crapped out and I have no way to lift the car anyway to spin wheels. I am in a bit of a predicament as far as doing much work on my stuff. My children's mother went into mid life crisis a little over a year ago and gave me the boot. She has the house and my shop. I did get most of my tools out, but except for a very few, they are packed in a 10 X 20 storage unit where working on your vehicles is strictly forbidden.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
You sure Torque can scan those since they are ABS?
I remember seeing wheel speed sensors listed and viewing them. I think it is the raw data count rather than corrected but it should still work.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No need for a lift to spin the wheels. If you can get readings, just roll it slowly and see if one is different, especially if reporting 0 or very low speed compared to the others, which would engage ABS.

As far as the interlock is concerned, sounds like the park/neutral safety switch.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online