Service Brake System - after changing front brakes

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Just finished changing front rotors, pads, and calipers on my 2002 TB. I cannot think what I did wrong, but now the Parking Brake light is on, and the DIC displays a constant "Service Brake System" message. The brakes work great. Fluid is full. Stops on a dime. No leaks. Etc.

Any ideas if I screwed something up? I wonder if the light was triggered when the brakes were bled (although ignition was off), or when I pumped the brakes 10-12 times before driving. I am pretty sure I had the truck on when I pumped before driving..

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I'd try re-bleeding all of the lines again, but with the engine running this time.

A sensor may have read an air pocket somewhere in the lines and threw a code, or some sort of a pressure difference without the engine running...maybe??

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I don't know much about the message in the DIC but when the red brake light came on in mine, it was due to low brake fluid. If the brake level sensor was exercised (due to filling/bleeding cycles) it may have landed on a bad spot and is telling the truck that the fluid is low when in fact it is not. I don't have a schematic in front of me but there would be two ways to test it - either unplugging it and seeing if the light goes out, or unplugging it, jumping the two wires in the connector, and seeing if the light goes out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online