Secondary air solenoid

JazzDad

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
The scanner (P0410) and troubleshooting told me it was this valve. I removed it and found it to be seized up. A little twisting back & forth, and lots of carb cleaner and it moves freely again. (Verified by applying power to the connector and watching the valve open and close.) I read that it will now take 3 cycles for the check engine light (or whatever it's called) to go off. What exactly is 3 cycles?

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
That valve only operates when you first the engine after it has been sitting long enough to get cold. So under normal circumstances, three times of starting it up first thing in the morning. I believe it also has to get down to a certain temperature, so if this were the middle of Summer, you might not see those cycles happen for some time. If you can't wait a few days for this to happen, you could also remove the battery cable for 20 minutes to reset the PCM. Of course if you are going to do this, you may as well clean your throttle body and perform any other maintenance that would involve a PCM relearn, because it will take you a couple hundred miles after this for the PCM to relearn your engine.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Nowadays, disconnecting the battery won't totally clear emissions-related codes like this, or else everybody would use that trick to pass emissions testing. Many scan tools and the Scangauge have a clear-codes function. I assume yours doesn't? The SAIS also runs a diagnostic during warmed-up driving that might clear the code a bit earlier than three days if it passes the diagnostic three times.

But in general drive cycles are the combination of cold start->drive around until the coolant gets to a normal temperature-> stop and park for it to cool off to a specified temp.

Shaggy_357

Dec 4, 2011
Thought this was relevant. I just ordered the check valve and gasket from amazon for a total of 63 bucks and change. I'm sure there's a better price somewhere but rock auto wanted more for just the valve by itself and advance wants $112. So, for those in need of a new check valve just hit up amazon! :thumbsup:

Shaggy_357

Dec 4, 2011
The Dorman was actually around 10 bucks more, so I grabbed the ACDelco.

Don37725

Dec 8, 2011
Also got mine from Amazon in Dec for $57.09 without gasket shipped free- ACDelco 214-2222 Air Check Valve
by ACDelco
Price: $57.09 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

I have been getting most of my Delco parts from them lately

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online