Seatbelt Location - Envoy

Raditude

Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
I just got my Envoy, and love it. I only have one complaint about it's design, and that is the location of the seatbelts. In the front seats, I find the seatbelts are a little hard to reach. They always seem to move behind the seat, and require turning to look, and stretching to get a hold of it. I've always prefered seatbelts that are mounted on the door jamb. Does anyone have any suggestions to make the seatbelts easier to access?

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Not sure how to make it easier to grab? I think you will get use to finding it. The other disign in the pillar you reach up for and these its easier to reach down near the bottom. I can now put mine on holding a coffee in the other hand. I will say that seatbelt design is the one thing I hate the most about my truck, and I mean I really HATE IT! I'm 6' tall the seatbelt comes up my chest and over my shoulder and then down to the retractor in the seat top. Usually after about 40 minutes of driving I start pulling it off my shoulder because it is SO uncomfortable! If I could change one thing about my truck that would be it.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
I will say that seatbelt design is the one thing I hate the most about my truck, and I mean I really HATE IT! I'm 6' tall the seatbelt comes up my chest and over my shoulder and then down to the retractor in the seat top. Usually after about 40 minutes of driving I start pulling it off my shoulder because it is SO uncomfortable! If I could change one thing about my truck that would be it.

I'm pretty sure that's also related to the seatbelt being mounted to the seat itself. When they are on the jamb, they are at more of an angle, and just go across your body, but because they go into the seat, the angle is steeper, and I find it tends to run right along the side of my neck, which isn't very comfortable. I'm assuming the reasoning for the location is related to some of them having air bags on the sides there someplace.

On a somewhat related note, when I was younger, my mom's 82 Lincoln Town Car (boat, came with its own zipcode) was in the shop (drydock) for repairs, and they gave us a Ford Tempo, which was brand new at that time. It ran fine and got us around, but the seatbelts were attached to the doors, and slid forward when you shut off the car to let you out. You only unbuckled the lap portion. This was cool at first till we realized that they were a little over aggressive. Sometimes you'd turn the car on and those belts would come back so fast they would just slam you into the seat and hold you back as tight as possible. Comfy.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Raditude said:
I I find the seatbelts are a little hard to reach.
I got into the habit of using my right hand, I could always find it without looking. All other trucks/cars, I just reach with my left and, I just realized that with the Avalanche, I've gone back to using my left, hmmm, must be because it's pillar mounted.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
For some people these seat mounted belts are more comfortable, I know for me it is as I always found a pillar mounted one would catch my neck whereas these ones on me at least are at just the right height that they lay on my shoulder and go across a nice angle. Now if the seat base is up too high it can tug at me but since I have never been in a passenger seat in a blazer I have no problem, just keep my seat in the right spot and it is all good.

I have noticed the problem with the belt falling to the back of the seat but it isn't that hard to take the extra second to look and grab it. Ya` know, I think things like the microwave and such have ruined us, people are so used to instant gratification that anything that uses up more than 3 nanoseconds of their time is like the end of the world...

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Not sure how to make it easier to grab? I think you will get use to finding it. The other disign in the pillar you reach up for and these its easier to reach down near the bottom. I can now put mine on holding a coffee in the other hand. I will say that seatbelt design is the one thing I hate the most about my truck, and I mean I really HATE IT! I'm 6' tall the seatbelt comes up my chest and over my shoulder and then down to the retractor in the seat top. Usually after about 40 minutes of driving I start pulling it off my shoulder because it is SO uncomfortable! If I could change one thing about my truck that would be it.

You can go to the dealership and get free seething belt extenders that will make this much more comfortable. I am 6'3" and fully understand what your talking about here.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online