Seafoam in brake booster line....

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
In about 3 days hubby and I have a planned oil change per the "stupid light" and I was wanting to give the neighbors and kids a smoke show. I haven't done it yet EVER so I'm just wanting to make sure I do it right. I know hubby add's SF to both the gas tank and the oil. I watched a few video's but still have some questions.

(1)I know the truck has to be running in order to suck the SF through the brake booster line, but once we get all the SF in the truck, do we turn the truck off and let him sit for a while? If so, how long do we let him sit before starting him up again?

(2) What is the worse case scenario? In other words...what can go wrong or is there any specific issues a truck can have where you DON'T want to use SF in brake booster line? I want to hope for the best but prepare for the worse....it is a GM product after all lol.

(3) Do I clean the throttle body before or after the smoke show or does it not matter? I'm trying to get a bit religious about cleaning it with every oil change.

(4) How long to I let the truck run after I use the SF?

I think this is it for now....unless I think of something or the hubby comes home and has a few questions as well.

Here is the video I watched. You will see why I ask how long the truck sits turned off. The guy in the video let the truck sit turned off for about 30 minutes after sucking the SF through the break booster line.

[video=youtube;z1Bktbs-0uU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Bktbs-0uU[/video]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Voymom said:
(1)I know the truck has to be running in order to suck the SF through the brake booster line, but once we get all the SF in the truck, do we turn the truck off and let him sit for a while? If so, how long do we let him sit before starting him up again?

When we did mine, and Decembersend's too, we let them sit for about a half hour. We were working on other mods and running our mouths, so that could just be coincidence..

Voymom said:
(2) What is the worse case scenario? In other words...what can go wrong or is there any specific issues a truck can have where you DON'T want to use SF in brake booster line? I want to hope for the best but prepare for the worse....it is a GM product after all lol.

None that I know of. Will have to wait for someone else's input here.

Voymom said:
(3) Do I clean the throttle body before or after the smoke show or does it not matter? I'm trying to get a bit religious about cleaning it with every oil change.

Owner's choice. Didn't clean my TB at the time of seafoaming.

Voymom said:
(4) How long to I let the truck run after I use the SF?

Until the smoke show stops (or is almost over) You probably don't wanna be driving around town obstructing the vision of motorists who are behind you :nono:

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
You can either plug the tube with your finger to shut it off(although I've only had luck doing this with my jeep not the TB) or just turn the key off and let it sit. I usually let it sit for about 10-20 minutes. I've never had any ill effects of using seafoam. After it sucks up the seafoam and you let it sit...take it on a main road and floor it(or just rev it in the driveway to be safe). I don't always get much smoke though. My jeep and my moms trailblazer barely smoke at all(of course both vehicles are over 9 years old with under 55K miles) My trailblazer on the other hand produces enough smoke to keep all the mosquitoes away.

If you pour seafoam into the vacuum line too fast it may kill the engine and you'll have to restart. Let it suck it in slowly. I cut a water bottle in half so I can watch it easier.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Blckshdw said:
When we did mine, and Decembersend's too, we let them sit for about a half hour. We were working on other mods and running our mouths, so that could just be coincidence..

30 minutes isn't that bad, it will give me time to clean up the oil mess.

None that I know of. Will have to wait for someone else's input here.

Okay, I will wait for others to chime in, I want to be safe and not sorry lol

Owner's choice. Didn't clean my TB at the time of seafoaming.

I think I will do it before hand

Until the smoke show stops (or is almost over) You probably don't wanna be driving around town obstructing the vision of motorists who are behind you :nono:
I wouldn't do that anyways, however I can't promise I won't point the trucks ass end towards the neighbors house :biggrin:

tbuckalew14 said:
You can either plug the tube with your finger to shut it off(although I've only had luck doing this with my jeep not the TB) or just turn the key off and let it sit. I usually let it sit for about 10-20 minutes. I've never had any ill effects of using seafoam. After it sucks up the seafoam and you let it sit...take it on a main road and floor it(or just rev it in the driveway to be safe). I don't always get much smoke though. My jeep and my moms trailblazer barely smoke at all(of course both vehicles are over 9 years old with under 55K miles) My trailblazer on the other hand produces enough smoke to keep all the mosquitoes away.

If you pour seafoam into the vacuum line too fast it may kill the engine and you'll have to restart. Let it suck it in slowly. I cut a water bottle in half so I can watch it easier.

Yeah I think the water bottle way will be a bit difficult, so we will be using a clear tupperware bowl, that way our hands can reach the last few oz's of SF.

Now I just thought of this question....How often do we SF the brake booster lines? Would it be safe to do it with every oil change? We use the SF in the fuel tank and oil with every oil change, so it isn't that often.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
IMHO I think that this may be one of the dumbest things that a person could do to their vehicle.I would be concerned about damage to the converter,o2 sensors,etc. you're asking for trouble where there isn't any....just sayin',Mike.:no:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
northcreek said:
IMHO I think that this may be one of the dumbest things that a person could do to their vehicle.I would be concerned about damage to the converter,o2 sensors,etc. you're asking for trouble where there isn't any....just sayin',Mike.:no:

To late lol it's all done! I noticed that the truck drives so much smoother, shifts smoother, and has a lot more throttle response. IF I created any problems, they haven't popped up yet.

[video=youtube;gQ-tQ2Ch9hU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ-tQ2Ch9hU&feature=plcp[/video]

[video=youtube;BLOP1r4E8sE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLOP1r4E8sE&feature=plcp[/video]

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
northcreek said:

It is made for this purpose and all there is to it is a small amount of kerosene and propane for combustion.... Its been done millions of times and is good for these engines. Not doing it is a stupid thing to do. It is definitely not one of the dumbest things to do. Not caring for your vehicle then wondering why you have to spend a ton of loot fixing it is one of the dumbest things you could do to your vehicle.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
McGMT said:
It is made for this purpose and all there is to it is a small amount of kerosene and propane for combustion.... Its been done millions of times and is good for these engines. Not doing it is a stupid thing to do. It is definitely not one of the dumbest things to do. Not caring for your vehicle then wondering why you have to spend a ton of loot fixing it is one of the dumbest things you could do to your vehicle.

Thank you! Very well said. I wanted to add, that I won't do any of these "stupid" maintenance projects without doing my research first, asking lots of questions and making sure that whatever it is that I will be doing, is done right.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Voymom said:
Thank you! Very well said. I wanted to add, that I won't do any of these "stupid" maintenance projects without doing my research first, asking lots of questions and making sure that whatever it is that I will be doing, is done right.
Sounds like the oil treatment that got done just BEFORE your first post has made you a more cautious person. :rotfl:

I wouldn't overclean the throttle body either. More unnecessary risk of wiring damage. Just every 30K should be enough. Unless your oil changes are now 30K. :eek: :wink:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Voymom said:

Oh... Is that your other half? I forgot youns did that snake oil treatment that gummed it all up. Well one thing we can assure ya that Seafoam is yummy...

I hate when things get left out n you don't put 2 n 2 together n make urself look like an ass...

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:
Sounds like the oil treatment that got done just BEFORE your first post has made you a more cautious person. :rotfl:

I wouldn't overclean the throttle body either. More unnecessary risk of wiring damage. Just every 30K should be enough. Unless your oil changes are now 30K. :eek: :wink:

We just took a sneak peak...it wasn't to bad at all. As far as the oil treatment screw up...I blame that ALL on the hubby. He was the one who purchased it and put it in the truck. I and Phantom were innocent bystanders :biggrin:

McGMT said:
Oh... Is that your other half? I forgot youns did that snake oil treatment that gummed it all up. Well one thing we can assure ya that Seafoam is yummy...

I hate when things get left out n you don't put 2 n 2 together n make urself look like an ass...

Phantom is my other half on here and the name of our truck....And he was the ONE to add that crappy oil treatment to the truck, not me. I always double check before doing something. Like hubby wanted to add seafoam to the gas tank while the truck was running....I told him HELL NO! If you cant put gas in it while the engine is on, your not putting seafoam in it while the engine is on.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
U can fill up while the truck is running. Its not looked upon very nicely but it can be done. :wink:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
jrSS said:
U can fill up while the truck is running. Its not looked upon very nicely but it can be done. :wink:

It is illegal here, and you can get a BIG fine for it.

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
McGMT said:

Yeah that would be me lol. I will say that in my defense i had done it in all my other vehicles and it actually did what it was supposed to do, put it in my accord, my beretta, my dodge, buick all with no problems. BUT then again I didn't think that Phantom was that special that it would be like throwing a wrench into the engine.. Live and learn and I have def. learned my lesson. :yes:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Phantom said:
Yeah that would be me lol. I will say that in my defense i had done it in all my other vehicles and it actually did what it was supposed to do, put it in my accord, my beretta, my dodge, buick all with no problems. BUT then again I didn't think that Phantom was that special that it would be like throwing a wrench into the engine.. Live and learn and I have def. learned my lesson. :yes:

LOL! And just like my wife she is makin` sure that EVERYONE knows it was YOUR idea! lol They are all the same....

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
McGMT said:
LOL! And just like my wife she is makin` sure that EVERYONE knows it was YOUR idea! lol They are all the same....

It really was HIS idea lol :raspberry: I even asked him before he put it in the truck if it was safe, and he assured me that all would be okay. Until my SES light came on, and the truck sounded like a trashed out dump truck :rotfl:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Voymom said:
It really was HIS idea lol :raspberry: I even asked him before he put it in the truck if it was safe, and he assured me that all would be okay. Until my SES light came on, and the truck sounded like a trashed out dump truck :rotfl:

The only thing I would ever put in my oil is lucas as I have trusted it forever and always had good results. But in this engine I just don't have the need for it. Only time I use the stuff is when I am running dino oil in an older engine. My 4.2 is spotless and I run syn in it. With that coupled with the VVT and such I won't be using it until it starts to get old and loose...

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
McGMT said:
The only thing I would ever put in my oil is lucas as I have trusted it forever and always had good results. But in this engine I just don't have the need for it. Only time I use the stuff is when I am running dino oil in an older engine. My 4.2 is spotless and I run syn in it. With that coupled with the VVT and such I won't be using it until it starts to get old and loose...

Yeah after the little uh oh we did an oil flush and put mobile 1 full synthetic, stealership had dino oil in it and a Chrysler oil filter. I haven't used Dino oil since I got my drivers license and got my first car lol. We do use seafoam in the gas tank, oil and now the brake booster line, it's the only additive I think I would use until I can figure out exactly what is on the good list and what is on the naughty list for this platform.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Voymom said:
.......... it's the only additive I think I would use until I can figure out exactly what is on the good list and what is on the naughty list for this platform.

Put a bottle of Chevron Fuel Inj. cleaner w/ Techron in the gas tank every 3 months or so.....best stuff going, and keeps fuel pump clean too.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
McGMT said:

With all due respect I have to say that I'm not a big fan of "fixes in a can",especially when there is not a problem to begin with.I Know that MAF sensors and other electricals can only be serviced via can but,GM frowns against the use of most of the crap that they try to sell you at your Autozone checkout.
While you may have had good luck with the Seafoam thing there are pages of those who have created nightmares for themselves....just sayin' Mike.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
northcreek said:
With all due respect I have to say that I'm not a big fan of "fixes in a can",especially when there is not a problem to begin with.I Know that MAF sensors and other electricals can only be serviced via can but,GM frowns against the use of most of the crap that they try to sell you at your Autozone checkout.
While you may have had good luck with the Seafoam thing there are pages of those who have created nightmares for themselves....just sayin' Mike.

Okay, well, see, were talking about using seafoam on a GM I6... Not a Honda, or a Yugo.... It works just fine on this engine and is a must for those who want this engine to run at peak performance over its lifetime... Gm frowns on anything that will cost them profit selling parts. Nobody's talking about zmax or STP so yea.... Its Seafoam, been around forever...

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
northcreek said:

Seafoam's website does say that H style engines and VorteX not Vortec engines, should use caution when doing the brake booster flush with seafoam. And the only reason that is, is due to the seafoam not being distributed evenly throughout all the cylinders. Vehicles which do not have a vacuum line that evenly distributes the seafoam should use the spray seafoam right into the throttle body.

Unlike most of us at GMT half of the vehicle owners out there don't even know what is under the hood of their cars, and will do things to it without the knowledge of the vehicle/product, which in turn can cause issues.

I have not read or heard of ANY TB or Envoy owners having issues with using seafoam.

I also wanted to comment, that if you have EVER purchased a vehicle part/product from auto zone or any other NON GM affiliated store, you too are just as guilty as those of us who use things that GM frowns upon. I mean come on, we're talking about GM....they won't even put a recall out for half of their own vehicle problems in which they created.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Voymom said:
Seafoam's website does say that H style engines and VorteX not Vortec engines, should use caution when doing the brake booster flush with seafoam. And the only reason that is, is due to the seafoam not being distributed evenly throughout all the cylinders. Vehicles which do not have a vacuum line that evenly distributes the seafoam should use the spray seafoam right into the throttle body.

Unlike most of us at GMT half of the vehicle owners out there don't even know what is under the hood of their cars, and will do things to it without the knowledge of the vehicle/product, which in turn can cause issues.

I have not read or heard of ANY TB or Envoy owners having issues with using seafoam.

I also wanted to comment, that if you have EVER purchased a vehicle part/product from auto zone or any other NON GM affiliated store, you too are just as guilty as those of us who use things that GM frowns upon. I mean come on, we're talking about GM....they won't even put a recall out for half of their own vehicle problems in which they created.

VMOM,Glad it worked out for you and Phantom.Good bit of research too.Maybe after watching our "BILLS" continue to suck today I took it out on Seafoam:hissyfit:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I just wanted to add that I read my reply post, and it came off bitchy, which isn't how I intended it to be. I just thought I would throw that in there too. I respect your opinion, and i'm not trying to get anyone to change their minds, but I did want it to be known that from what I have read, researched and discussed with others about seafoam, there hasn't been any complaints on this platform thus far, unless of course there was an already underlying issue to begin with.

Yes, I agree that certain GM/OEM products should only be used in these vehicles, but seafoam does no more damage than a decent fuel injector cleaner, or even an oil change. Now if it was done like every day or every weekend, that may be different. But doing it every once in a while isn't going to harm the Envoy. I don't plan on doing it very often, but I will do it again eventually. Maybe 2 times a year, maybe once every other year, but definitely not every day or every weekend. Using seafoam is just like using the cheap carb cleaner at your local auto store. GM doesn't want anyone doing anything to their own vehicles as it costs them money, they would much rather every GM owner to bring their vehicles into the dealership for EVERY little thing you can imagine. I mean hell if I would have purchased GM or OEM running boards from their dealership I was looking at about $800.00 for labor and parts, I got mine off of a TB from someone on here 5x cheaper, and installed them ourselves. Granted a pain in the ass, but it didn't hurt anything except GM's bank account.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
northcreek said:
VMOM,Glad it worked out for you and Phantom.Good bit of research too.Maybe after watching our "BILLS" continue to suck today I took it out on Seafoam:hissyfit:

Your not in the wrong Northcreek, your opinion matters, which is why forums like this are around. Everyone see's things differently, and has their own experiences and thoughts about a lot of stuff, and that is our right, and it doesn't make anyone any less than the other person. No hard feelings here :thumbsup:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
northcreek said:

In many ways "crap that they try to sell you at your Autozone " is also sold at GM dealers. The difference is they have a "special" GM part number.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Wooluf1952 said:
In many ways "crap that they try to sell you at your Autozone " is also sold at GM dealers. The difference is they have a "special" GM part number.

I agree with that for sure ...and people should also be aware that there is alot of "snake oil" in many of these quick fix products.When you see oil additives that repair leaky main oil seals or refrigerants that restore blown O-rings in your AC system...these claims are barking mad!
The industry has has caught on to the fact that most people are so scared of the technology in their vehicles that they will buy anything that will promise to keep them out of the shop...a cute name or clever container helps seal the deal...just sayin' Mike.

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
Ok, this thread caught my attention in part because I have been reading threads on the OS for a few weeks that seemed to have a lot of conflicting advice and opinions, and in part because on the whole I still felt there was a benefit to be had, and have been in the middle of my own application of SF. IMHO, there is a lot of misguided advice and "not quite correct" application methodologies out there so I'm going to chime in with my opinions and comments, hopefully substantiated by facts where possible. This is now mostly intended for future readers since OP has already completed hers, but maybe it'll serve as a useful future reference too.

Background: Several weeks ago (2 weeks after purchase) I cleaned my throtte body. I noticed at the time that the interior of the intake manifold was covered in the same black varnish crap that the TB was, and assumed it must also permeate much of the engine. Also I'd seen multiple claims of quiter engine operaton post treatment, and after changing out a bad idler pulley I still wasn't satisfied with engine bay noise levels so I wanted to make this my next cheap maintenance step.

So, having now put 7000 km on it since July, my OLM is showing 30%, I've been planning on the SF treatment in the crankcase just prior to changing the oil. It seemed wise to also treat the rest of the systems in conjunction with this, so a week ago I added 1 full can SF to a full tank of gas. From Seafoam's own website the recommended mixture is 1oz/gal AND "Mixing at less than two-thirds oz. per gallon will impair the effectiveness of Sea Foam." 16oz into 25 gallons is just slightly less than 2/3 oz/gal, so I added another 1/2 can at the half tank mark and continued to run on that gas for the remainder of the week, holding 1/2 can in reserve for brake vaccuum booster line application. Because none of what I had read or saw prior to this had convinced me the vaccuum line application method was better than the spray application through the throttle body plate, I also bought a bottle of the spray to apply that way.​

Voymom said:

If you're convinced the TB really needs cleaning and/or you intend to use the vacuum line application method then my approach would be to clean it first otherwise if it's only been a short time since TB cleaning and/or you're planning the spray application, then it doesn't seem necessary. Just my opinion but doing full out TB cleaning every oil change seems to be a bit of overkill, as roadie says also later. FYI I'm still sitting on the fence as to whether the "smokeshow" is the real evidence of SF doing what it claims or just a side effect. :undecided:

Voymom said:
Here is the video I watched. You will see why I ask how long the truck sits turned off. The guy in the video let the truck sit turned off for about 30 minutes after sucking the SF through the break booster line.

Blckshdw said:

I think the main idea here is to give the SF enough time to dissolve the varnish without being so long that the solvent re-evaporates leaving the varnish deposit behind again. For those that have done their own TB cleaning, you may have noticed that the cleaner evaporates somewhat quickly, especially on a warm day, and the varnish left behind is almost as much a sticky mess as when you started...in my case I waited about 20 minutes before restarting, which seems well in line with Seafoam's guideline of "... a minimum of 10 minutes"

With respect to the video you referenced as your guideline, I am of the opinion that it is not the optimal method of application for two reasons. First, SF's website seems to recommend revving the engine up a bit during application ("SLOWLY POUR 1/3 to ½ can of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the vacuum hose, while at the same time revving the engine to about 2000 RPMs"). Second, dipping the vacuum line into the SF results in periodic surges of large-ish volumes of SF being ingested, which has the potential of inconveniently stalling your engine, especially if it's only idling. Again I think the main idea is to give the SF a chance to saturate the crap it's trying to remove, and think the best way to do that is keep the engine running and apply it quickly enough to get a good volume of intake in fairly short order to make it as effective as possible. Also, as shown in the video, dipping the vacuum hose gets SF all over it...you'll find that at 2k rpm, the vacuum strength is quite strong, and direct application from the bottle is possible with no leaks/mess. Hell I did mine at midnight under a streetlight, and didn't spill a drop.

tbuckalew14 said:
You can either plug the tube with your finger to shut it off(although I've only had luck doing this with my jeep not the TB)

FWIW right at the end of applying the can contents, I was able to plug the line with my finger and get the engine to stall...some youtube vids on the subject advocate using the last bit of fluid to give the engine one last large volume dose which can also stall it (prob moreso at idle speeds) so this may be a preferable way to approach getting a good saturation level just prior to the "soak" period.

Voymom said:
Okay, I will wait for others to chime in, I want to be safe and not sorry lol

I do recall having seen some threads on the OS where application of SF was claimed to be the source of some problems, but sorry I don't recall the specifics. A search over there might be prudent. As for my own personal experience, I did hear a couple of engine knocks occur during application when the engine was close to stalling. I suspect the PCM attempted to alter timing to compensate, just prior to me shutting it down for the soak....when I restarted 20 min later I had a CEL on but wasn't terribly concerned immediately because I was almost sure it would clear itself shortly. After 3 subsequent ignition cycles where the light remained on, I used OnStar ODD (on demand diagnostics) to see what the code was (my scan tool won't arrive for a few days yet), BUT just as they put me on hold to run the scan the CEL cleared itself...when I get the scantool, I will look in the history to see what the code(s) were. Otherwise I had no issues. (In fact this CEL may be unrelated, as I know I also have a sticky t-stat which has dropped a P0128 on me about a week ago before clearing itself)

Voymom said:
To late lol it's all done! I noticed that the truck drives so much smoother, shifts smoother, and has a lot more throttle response. IF I created any problems, they haven't popped up yet.

Agreed...I would have to say it runs a bit quieter, slightly smoother and sort of seems to have a little more "snap" at mid-range revs. As for shifting smoother I can't say I noticed that, mine already shifts so smooth it's barely perceptible unless running pretty close to WOT. I also can't quite wrap my head around what the theoretical explanation would be for smoother shifting... can anyone else weigh in with their knowledge/experience on that for me?

Also, Voymom, with respect to the other thread that we both added comments on, did you experience any measureable performance improvements?

McGMT said:
It is made for this purpose and all there is to it is a small amount of kerosene and propane for combustion....

Just correcting a bit of misinformation here...there is no propane in Seafoam - non-pressurized propane would become gas at above something like -40 deg F IIRC ...check section 2 of the MSDS for the contents: Pale oil, Naptha, IPA {isopropyl alcohol}

Voymom said:
Like hubby wanted to add seafoam to the gas tank while the truck was running....I told him HELL NO! If you cant put gas in it while the engine is on, your not putting seafoam in it while the engine is on.

jrSS said:

Voymom said:
It is illegal here, and you can get a BIG fine for it.

Just as an FYI, the main reason that fueling up with engine running is frowned upon and illegal, is that there is a greater likelihood of more volatile gasoline vapors reaching the LEL (lower explosive limit) AND being near a potential source of ignition at a gas station. Adding SF to your gas tank in a reasonably well ventilated area has, IMO, near zero chance of reaching it's LEL, partly because of it's lower volatility/higher flashpoint (which is why it can't be used as a cold start agent in gas engines) and because it's also less likely those vapors will be near a source of ignition (notwithstanding dummies who choose to smoke 3" from the filler neck while adding it to the gas tank). I think it's VERY HIGHLY unlikely anything will EVER happen from simply adding Seafoam to your gas tank... but shutting the engine off can't really hurt either.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.