Screeching/scraping sound when making sharp left turns, any ideas?

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Just recently I noticed when I make a left turn around 10-15 mph I get a loud awful scraping noise, is this a bad wheel hub bearing?

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
blackout51 said:
Just recently I noticed when I make a left turn around 10-15 mph I get a loud awful scraping noise, is this a bad wheel hub bearing?

Sounds like it to me. This must be the week of bad hubs. How many miles on your truck?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Or a bent/corroded brake rotor dust shield.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
dcmtnbkr said:
Sounds like it to me. This must be the week of bad hubs. How many miles on your truck?

139,xxx miles, so if it does it when I turn left which hub would be bad? And would that be causing a shaking of the steering wheel at 70+ mph as well?

- - - Updated - - -

the roadie said:
Or a bent/corroded brake rotor dust shield.

I'll check tonight but last time I was down there changing the struts they seemed fine, that was about a month ago

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I'm guessing a bad wheel hub too. Although, I accidentally bent a brake shield many years ago on my '96 Camaro and it made a similar sound when I was making sharp turns.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
blackout51 said:
139,xxx miles, so if it does it when I turn left which hub would be bad? And would that be causing a shaking of the steering wheel at 70+ mph as well?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll check tonight but last time I was down there changing the struts they seemed fine, that was about a month ago

From what i've read, we can expect about 80-90k on our hubs. As far as how to tell which ones? Beats me, i did them both at the same time.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
dcmtnbkr said:
From what i've read, we can expect about 80-90k on our hubs. As far as how to tell which ones? Beats me, i did them both at the same time.

Which brand did you use to replace them?

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
I just jacked up the truck and shook each of the wheels on the front end and neither one seemed loose, also the dust shields look good. Can a hub go bad and not make the wheel feel loose?

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
You can still drive on bad wheel hubs where the screeching which is the indication of failing. I drove a few hundred miles before changing mine. It won't be loose or wobbly. In your case it might be just contamination has passes the seal.

The wheel won't feel loose but have a resistance when rotating the wheel since the bearings are assisting the rotating.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
seanpooh said:
You can still drive on bad wheel hubs where the screeching which is the indication of failing. I drove a few hundred miles before changing mine. It won't be loose or wobbly. In your case it might be just contamination has passes the seal.

The wheel won't feel loose but have a resistance when rotating the wheel since the bearings are assisting the rotating.

Well that's the other thing I tried too, was spinning the wheel by hand and they both seemed to rotate normally.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
I read somewhere the right turn is the left hub and left turn is the right hub. Anybody concur?

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Robbabob said:
I read somewhere the right turn is the left hub and left turn is the right hub. Anybody concur?

I thought I read something like that too, but I couldn't remember if that was for hubs or cv axles

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
blackout51 said:
Well that's the other thing I tried too, was spinning the wheel by hand and they both seemed to rotate normally.

With the truck off the ground my wheels are hard to turn using one hand. But they make no noise. With the wheels off I need both hands to turn the hubs. Perhaps it is different for 4X2 and 4X4 as we have the CV's to contend with?

Robbabob said:

I was reading an article about this and they said it depends which of the two bearings in the hub are failing. Inner or outer. Someone may want to corroborate this.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
My passenger side hub started going bad on me earlier this week, and I heard it coming from the right side as the road I was traveling on had a slight right turn. I was traveling around 35mph.

I don't know if it was the inner or outter hub (I seriously do not know the difference...yet). All I know is that I installed this exact part yesterday and the car rides like new again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online