Scan Tools

tr23

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
What sort of scan tools are you guys finding success with?

I purchased an Autel 419, and it has helped me diagnose bad intake manifold gaskets, thermostat/ECT issues and provided peace of mind when condemning the fan clutch.

However it does not read ABS codes, or do some of the other things I have come to realize diagnostic tools can do. Any suggestions on other scan tools? Either in the value or capability category...

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Actron CP9575.

Reads/Erases codes, tells you I/M / State OBD check figures, reads active and pending codes but does not actively communicate to record those fleeting ones like a misfire, unless maybe it does and I don't know since I've never had such a thing.

Also tells me some live data, refreshes maybe every 0.5-0.75sec, fuel trims, O2 sensor readings, engine and vehicle speed, ignition advance... not a whole lot of super-detail like transmission temp or VVT setting or anything like that though. But it does serve its purpose. It was $100 at AAP, appears to be about similar prices on the Internet.

I'd put this at midrange - does more than just show you code numbers (it does try giving definitions), and does live data, but doesn't do charting or anything.

Tons of people on here with Android phones use Torque Pro. $5 app, $20 Bluetooth connector on the OBD port, and it does a bunch of stuff, so it's a steal. Someone who uses it can clarify on specific features.

tr23

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Thanks Illogic. Those functions seem very similar to what my Autel 419 does....I have been very impressed with what it can do! I just never knew how much capability some tools had. I suppose I'll wait for the day I really need more capability - but in the mean time its great to learn what others are having success with!

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
tr23 said:
Thanks Illogic. Those functions seem very similar to what my Autel 419 does....I have been very impressed with what it can do! I just never knew how much capability some tools had. I suppose I'll wait for the day I really need more capability - but in the mean time its great to learn what others are having success with!

Just wait, May03LT will burst into this thread with his Tech 2 tool and show us all up :rotfl:

If you've got $5k+ to blow on a scan tool, the GM Tech 2 does well... pretty much everything. Can even command electronically-controlled functions, rather than having to try meeting some condition to try getting whatever it is to do whatever you want. Saves a ton of time on testing.

And the Torque Pro + ELM327, while I don't know everything it does, I do know it has stuff like cylinder-specific misfire counters which can prove pretty useful.

techwave

Feb 20, 2014
I actually had that model (bought it from Princess Auto) but found they recently had the AL439 model go on sale for the same price as when I got my AL419. If you got it from there, you might be able to return it and upgrade.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
IllogicTC said:
Just wait, May03LT will burst into this thread with his Tech 2 tool and show us all up :rotfl:

And the Torque Pro + ELM327, while I don't know everything it does, I do know it has stuff like cylinder-specific misfire counters which can prove pretty useful.

Tech 2 will do just about everything, including read your thoughts, and tell the future.

I have been using an ELM 327 for over 6 years now, it has linked with every smartphone I have had with no issues. For the $20 for the dongle and $5 for the app, it is the best bang for the buck. It also allows full customization of the display, works with a majority of the android devices, and gives you live data with graphing. It gets even better when you install the custom GM PID's. However I have not had any ABS codes pop up so I cannot say if it reads those.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
Tech 2 will do just about everything, including red your thoughts, and tell the future.

I have been using an ELM 327 for over 6 years now, it has linked with every smartphone I have had with no issues. For the $20 for the dongle and $5 for the app, it is the best bang for the buck. It also allows full customization of the display, works with a majority of the android devices, and gives you live data with graphing. It gets even better when you install the custom GM PID's. However I have not had any ABS codes pop up so I cannot say if it reads those.

One thing I've been pointing out - wireless capability! It allows you to watch live data while under the hood, or in the back seat, or wherever else that's within a few feet of the ELM. Plus since the ELM isn't specific to one device, someone looking to eventually drop a little more cash can get a program on a laptop that does all sorts of fancy stuff.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
Tech 2 will do just about everything, including red your thoughts, and tell the future.

It won't read ABS codes. The price of dongles has come down considerably. If you don't mind on waiting for one to ship from China, they'll run as low as $10-12 shipping included.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
IllogicTC said:
One thing I've been pointing out - wireless capability! It allows you to watch live data while under the hood, or in the back seat, or wherever else that's within a few feet of the ELM. Plus since the ELM isn't specific to one device, someone looking to eventually drop a little more cash can get a program on a laptop that does all sorts of fancy stuff.

I love it because when it is cold and I am playing with certain things, I can just RS the truck and the scanner will reach the guest room which is about 50-60'.

We had a discussion about the alternatives for Android and the few Iphone aps that are similar. In the end the only one that came close was DashCommander. However with the $9.99 price tag, and $9.99 for each set of custom PID's per year. Add the lack of customization compared to Torque, I would consider the program mediocre at best. However with the limited options on the Iphone side it is a good program. I know they were marketing an entire setup with their custom dongle and some other stuff with a final price tag of about $150.

Hypnotoad said:
It won't read ABS codes. The price of dongles has come down considerably. If you don't mind on waiting for one to ship from China, they'll run as low as $10-12 shipping included.

Now I wonder if the ABS codes are an issue with the dongle, or if it is just the extra programming. Well going to go chat with the dev on Torque and see what I can find out.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
blazinlow89 said:

It couldn't catch my cam sensor blipping and turning off cruise control, but it did order my sandwich correctly at wawa so it's all good.

I've been looking at adding an Autel for working on other platforms. I try to avoid non-GMs at home but it has come up from time to time.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
MAY03LT said:
It couldn't catch my cam sensor blipping and turning off cruise control, but it did order my sandwich correctly at wawa so it's all good.

I've been looking at adding an Autel for working on other platforms. I try to avoid non-GMs at home but it has come up from time to time.

Plus you could make $5 off the neighbor with a Ford or Dodge or Beamer with some problem. Could do it pro-bono, but I guarantee that doing a diagnostic for $5-10 they will gladly accept over the prices at the dealership any day :crackup:

Does it tell you what to check when the C/S says "sounds like the three stooges waba waba" :rotfl:

And blazin - it's likely the app. You're already getting a lot for $5 as it is! http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/elm327/ This original ELM327 (with USB rather than BlueTooth) says it's designed to do ABS, SRS, etc. etc.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
Now I wonder if the ABS codes are an issue with the dongle, or if it is just the extra programming. Well going to go chat with the dev on Torque and see what I can find out.

Torque can read ABS codes on some cars, from what I've read. The developer is always improving the app. Let us know what you find.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
compared to others, my techs (2) love the snapon solSnap-on Diagnostics: SOLUS Ultra Full-function Scan Toolus. I personally have a cheap actron at my desk, and it does it's job. No ABS however, ABS on the solus requires some strange adapters at times, the only other alternative to the solus is the OEM scanner, so the adapters at the point are cheaper. I have always been fond of the iPhone/android scanners. I think they are the next wave, and will encourage obd3. And we need obdIII.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
tblazerdude said:
I think they are the next wave, and will encourage obd3. And we need obdIII.

I agree. With as much information as a vehicle runs through these days compared to 1996, the OBD standard really does need to be updated to reflect this. Bandwidth is a huge bottleneck whereas back then it provided usually ample bandwidth for most applications. At least the TrailBlazers use the SAE J1850 with 41.6k/sec transfer rate. It's slow but not horrible. Hooked up my tool to my roommate's Dakota... uses ISO 9141-2 (thanks, Chrysler!) with 10.4k/sec (as in, 1/4 the speed). It literally took nearly a minute to get a link set with the PCM, and live data refreshed every other second or so.

2008+ US models come with CAN, which can provide 250/500 k/sec signaling which is a major improvement and is used in conjunction with OBD-II, but getting OBD up with the times would be nice.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Machoman said:
Where does one get the Torque Pro adapter?

Ebay or search for "ELM 327 OBDII adapter"

This is my Chinese bluetooth part. Less than $10 shipped and works great. Do a few searches on it and others. Took about 6weeks to get it though. Amazon.com

Attachments

• 1394553205220.jpg
    1394553205220.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Machoman said:
6 weeks? Put it in a bottle and throw it out to sea. It would be here in two weeks.

You can find them from USA sellers for under $20, and they arrive much faster.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Machoman said:
6 weeks? Put it in a bottle and throw it out to sea. It would be here in two weeks.

I ordered it 2 weeks before Christmas. I figured I could buy a couple at that price and still take the loss as some have reported flaky units. Either with the bluetooth connectivity or it failing to work altogether.

I had no rush to use it so I figured it would be a nice late present to myself. It was.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online