Scan Tool

wedge1

Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
In several of the posts that I've read, they say to use a scan tool. While they can be pricey, it's one of those things that, at some point, may really pay for itself. At this point, I only have a code reader, but it has paid for itself. What scan tools do you people use? What are the features that I should definitely have? Any other suggestions?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Some folks have higher-end Actrons. Search for that word. If you have an Android smartphone or tablet with bluetooth, the Torque app is the hand-down price/performance winner. Or the Scangauge II.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I got mine here:

ScanTool.net LLC - Scan Tools, PC, iPhone, & Android based OBD-II (OBD2) Interfaces, OBD diagnostic software

( went for the wired one, usb connector with free software, OBDlink SX. gets the basics and trouble codes, I used also to log and display some strange behavior of my trans, which turned out was not enough fluid.)

went back for the ScanXL software with the chevy package.

I wanted this to monitor a few AC parameters. turns out it still does not monitor all the actuators you can get with the real GM software, but that stuff is multiple $k

others can chime in.

do you want to use with a laptop, or your smart phone?

nopaybob

Apr 3, 2013
Does anyone know of any other software that I can get for free that will work with this ELM327 OBDII
New ELM327 OBDII OBD II OBD2 USB Interface V1 5 Auto Diagnostic Scanner | eBay

It came with a free version of scantool.net v1.13 but of course you have to pay to use all features
For 12 bucks it was a cheap option for me when I first got my trailblazer. The free version of software did allow me to read and erase codes, It also showed some live data.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
for reference, i needed one of these for my VW jetta.
Ross-Tech Store: VCDS

transmission fluid change on that car requires the computer to monitor fluid temp, then drain to the correct level using an included snorkel. also used to cycle fuel pump when changing fuel filter every 20k

( point here, is that the cable and software is $250. it has paid for itself. most of the options discussed above for a GM product are less expensive.)

nopaybob

Apr 3, 2013
the roadie said:
Of course. Surely you're not saying all useful software should be free. :wink:

See my avatar. :biggrin:
Your saying that scantool and complete software should be worth more than 12 bucks :undecided:
I'm just fishin for another program to try out with this toy, If its available..

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
jrSS said:
Once again..torque app + smart phone= greatness.

This x100... then you gotta learn how to use it :raspberry:

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
im new to the smartphone world.is there a specific torque app or are there different ones to download?

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
cool thanks ill look into it

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
oh05ext said:
cool thanks ill look into it

you could just do like I did... just order the BT device online, then use the free Torque App... see if you like the screens, gauges, what it monitors, etc... (realizing it doesn't have all the features of the paid Torque App version) and if you like it, then spend the $4.99 and buy the app.. best money I've spent on any app to date...

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
my app just show the torque lite for the free vers.which bluetooth device do i buy?

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
I have an ELM bt device for mine, and the paid app. Haven't had any problems yet.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
oh05ext said:
my app just show the torque lite for the free vers.which bluetooth device do i buy?

here is what the app looks like that I got for free first...

Screenshot_2013-05-12-12-16-04_zps0ead33ca.png

and here is the BT device I bought on ebay...

Screenshot_2013-05-12-12-18-36_zps09fb27a6.png

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Looks just like mine, should work great.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
Has anyone used Torque with a 9-7x? I've heard it's limited, but some first hand experience would be great. The BT adapter is high on my want list.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I would think since it is basically the same truck as any other GMT360 it should work on it just fine.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I use torque with my grand prix and my SS... works fine with both...

wedge1

Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
Thank you for all of the information. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get one, but this gives a good basis for what is out there. Wedge

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Can the smart phone be an older one that isn't being used for calls?

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
Can the smart phone be an older one that isn't being used for calls?

Yes. The app uses the phone's bluetooth to connect to the module and some features require GPS but no part of the application requires an active data or voice connection.

I personally use a decommissioned Verizon phone circa 2010.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.