Same Ole Sh.. Fan Clutch

rgoldberg

Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Truck (04 ext 4.2L) threw a P0483 code so I replaced the fan clutch, water pump, thermostat, and temp sensor. At 116K it needed it.
Before the repair, it wall of the sudden ran the temp you to 3/4, the SES light came on and bingo P0483

After repairs, Runs fine with A/C off, but w/ A/C on the temp climbs. I took it in to a local shop, and he checked the A/C and the head gasket and ran a diag and said the fan it not activating. He thinks the PCM needs to be Flashed, but his computer is on the fritz and he doesnt want to fry my PCM.

Thoughts ?

Should I hit up the dealer tomorrow and get the PCM flashed?
I'm $800 in to new parts and the diagnostics, not sure how much more troubleshooting the credit card can handle!!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Any mechanic (doesn't have to be a dealer) can use their Tech II tool (if they own one) and command the fan to go to any RPM. It can check commanded fan RPM versus actual fan RPM and see if they agree. It could be a bad fan clutch, harness problems, or a dead fan clutch relay, the one we always recommend people swap with their low beams when the low beams die.

rgoldberg

Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
the roadie said:
Any mechanic (doesn't have to be a dealer) can use their Tech II tool (if they own one) and command the fan to go to any RPM. It can check commanded fan RPM versus actual fan RPM and see if they agree. It could be a bad fan clutch, harness problems, or a dead fan clutch relay, the one we always recommend people swap with their low beams when the low beams die.

he did swap relays, i did that as well and he said the fan still would not come up to speed. He removed the relay and jumped 2 & 4 and the fan would engage. But I think he said it would only engage for a few minutes.

Can I wire in a switch to engage the clutch when I want to?
If so would I want to apply 12V to the Speed Control Line? I'd have to use a diode so i didnt back feed the PCM. Would this allow me to engage the cutch when I wanted to?

I should return the New Clutch I bought for $199 and apply that cash towards an e-fan from performance parts...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.