Rubbing, Clunking, Swaying....OH MY!

eray2371

Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Hello Community!

I'll try to make this as brief as possible. I relocated to Cincinnati for work back in July of 2014. Before I left the comfort of my associations in MI, I had quite a few things done to the Envoy for my traveling peace of mind. *No time to do the work myself unfortunately :-(

-Brake pads and rotors front and rear
-Passenger side tie-rod end (Driver side was done by purchasing dealer in January 2014)
-New tires (and of course an alignment)

Fast forward a couple of months to approx. Oct. 2014 I had the driver-side hub assembly replaced (Firestone)
Fast forward to the end of December 2014 I have one of the new tires (replaced back in July 2014) replaced with another new tire because of nail that got into that funky area on the tire.

Approximately 3 weeks ago, I started to notice little nuances in the way my Envoy would stop and steer. The first noticeable thing was a noise/feeling: a slight clunk/rub as I came to the end of braking....just say that final 3 feet of travel before the vehicle stops completely.

The next "symptom" is a noise consistent with turning the wheel in either direction. This noise seems to emanate from the steering column, either in the actual steering wheel to shaft connection area or the shaft's "u-joint" to steering rack. Imagine a shaft rotating constantly in a sticky rubber bellow...that's the sound. It's really close to my ears so I'm more inclined to believe its right under the dash.

Now to what has me the most concerned: My steering wheel, at times, feels completely disconnected from the rest of my truck. On the highway, with the wheel completely straight- I'll suddenly begin to veer left mostly. Bumps seems to throw the steering wheel ll over the place like never before. If I do a very basic test of play via traveling approx. 60mph and turning the wheel slightly but quickly left to right....there's no feel of play, the Envoy responds to every input quickly.

I am very stumped! I am a DIYer with formal automotive schooling but I currently can't even change my own oil because of the relocation to Cincinnati (all of my tools, jacks,etc. are back home in MI) Needless to say, I feel helpless not being able to even lift my truck to pull the wheel off. Again, apologies for the long post but I feel as the recent repair history lends some clues to these current oddities. Thanks in advance or any insight!

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
:tiphat: :tiphat: Welcome :tiphat:

In case you haven't heard:
http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/218-welcome-to-gmtnationcom-heres-the-story/

Sorry if I missed it but, the year, mileage and maintenance history might help.
The squeegy sound is a known irritation.
The loose feeling in the steering could be loose lugnuts, bad upper/lower ball joints, inner and/or outer tierod ends or worn sway-bar end links.
Others will jump in to help. Good luck.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I am 30 minutes from Cincinnati.

Can you grab the tie rods n see if they are loose? Can you check the lug nuts?

eray2371

Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
I am 30 minutes from Cincinnati.

Can you grab the tie rods n see if they are loose? Can you check the lug nuts?
I'll check both tomorrow. I've actually been meaning to check the lug nuts because we all know to assume something isn't done properly if you didn't do it yourself :hopeless:

Wooluf1952 said:
:tiphat: :tiphat: Welcome :tiphat:

In case you haven't heard:
http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/218-welcome-to-gmtnationcom-heres-the-story/

Sorry if I missed it but, the year, mileage and maintenance history might help.
The squeegy sound is a known irritation.
The loose feeling in the steering could be loose lugnuts, bad upper/lower ball joints, inner and/or outer tierod ends or worn sway-bar end links.
Others will jump in to help. Good luck.
Thanks for that warm welcome! I love this community. My last post was a year ago about hitting a pole after changing my water pump :duh: ...but I've continued to lurk in the shadows! Haha

2007 Envoy SLT
4.2 4x4
110,xxx

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Anything you can reach and pull on/tug on do so. I'm thinking caliper bolts/brackets, maybe something there is loose/missing. Turn the wheel one way or the other to make it easier to reach around to it.

Also for kicks visually check rear suspension. I know you said that it feels like from the front but sometimes bizarre behavior can come from the other end. When I broke the upper trailing arm on my TB (twice, once per side) it made it feel really weird. I could tell it was coming from the rear the first time for sure given how it reacted, but second time had me pondering at first since depending on the side that broke it acted differently.

eray2371

Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
BlazingTrails said:
Welcome to the Nation! :tiphat:
Thanks![emoji106]

Update: Pretty icy this morning morning but I managed to check the lug nuts, man-handled the tie rod ends and sway bar links. Concerning things:

1. Sway bar links are intac on both sides but both have a lot of play....too much, seems like.

2. The studs, IMO, on the replacement hub assembly are way too short. None of the actual stud sticks outside of the lug nut. Now I'm wondering if that's reason enough to bring up concerns to Firestone(who replaced the hub)

Community thoughts???

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sway bar links are prolly shot. Common items on these trucks. Prolly help with clunking and noises, but wont fix the rest of the issues

What harm dos it do to ask Firestone since you are in a tough spot right now. You cant do your own work and they should at least explain and give it a good check over I would think. Tell them something does not feel right and see if they will tell you what it is. My firestone did for me and then I would do my own fixes and bring it back for alignment.

I am not too far away if I can help you save some money vs them fixing things.

eray2371

Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
What harm dos it do to ask Firestone since you are in a tough spot right now. You cant do your own work and they should at least explain and give it a good check over I would think. Tell them something does not feel right and see if they will tell you what it is. My firestone did for me and then I would do my own fixes and bring it back for alignment.

I am not too far away if I can help you save some money vs them fixing things. [/quote]

You're right, I'll give them a call.....Firestone often likes to push blame off on others though and get defensive before finding causes and solutions. I guess we shall see! Quick story: I've been a patron of theirs for nearly 6yrs with all the vehicles I've owned in this time making it's way through their bay doors at some point. Early last year, they did an oil change on the Envoy and left the plate off underneath (I always check certain things afterwards because of being burned so many times). The service writer was so rude and she suggested more than once that there was never a plate on my truck! Furious, I emailed corporate and wouldn't you know it....The tech had thrown my plate behind a tool box and had forgotten to put it back on [emoji35] ....as I was leaving, she walks outside with me and apologizes repeatedly with tears in her eyes...no joke!

Thanks for the offer! I quite possibly will take you up on it in the near future [emoji106]

Reactions: Mounce
Mar 15, 2012
Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I have developed a rocking/sway in my Envoy and I am in the same area as you (Butler County)! I love working on my truck, but it is nearly impossible in the winter. I do not have a garage, so repairs in the snow are just about impossible unless it is an extreme emergency.

I thought I had a tire going bad, however my issue is clearly the suspension as when I load or unload the suspension the sway and knock stops. I have read that the bushings may be wearing out. If you ever need help, let me know. Meanwhile I would like to know what you found out on your truck.

Reactions: eray2371

eray2371

Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Interestingly enough, after taking it to Firestone, their report was "we can't find anything". I had the tires rotated and balanced.
I notice a difference in the truck for the better....my thoughts are: they found something loose and just took care of it

It's frustrating because I don't like for issues to appear and then disappear without me knowing what caused then in the first place [emoji21]

Mar 15, 2012
Around here, I do not trust the chain shops. If there is something I cannot do, I use independents. Thanks for the follow up. And like I said, I am a town away if I can help you, let me know.

Reactions: eray2371

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online