rpm/voltmeter problem

mrm143

Original poster
Member
Feb 29, 2012
42
Mark20 said:
How old is the battery? Had my voltmeter going crazy like yours and it was the battery retiring. I don't remember the engine RPM changing that much though.

Not sure just bought truck will have batt checked while at store too lol.... im just hoping the rpm drop is tied int o one of these.... should I even bother with plugs just yet as I don't see that as being related but I could be wrong
 

MAY03LT

Member
Nov 18, 2011
3,420
Delmarva
mrm143, your threads were merged so that all posts related to your problem are in the same place.
 

mrm143

Original poster
Member
Feb 29, 2012
42
mrm143 said:
Alt and batt check good doing plugs now


Old plugs

So far so good rpm is steady and running better and the wrong plugs were installed
 

Attachments

  • 7016b54003d6fcc07f720cd464bffaea.jpg
    7016b54003d6fcc07f720cd464bffaea.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 9f4d4377c85f3497f38ba7a87b0e50d7.jpg
    9f4d4377c85f3497f38ba7a87b0e50d7.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 9

STLtrailbSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
1,617
Sorry for getting back so late! :no: Glad you got it fixed! Want to come change some spark plugs for me now?:yes:
 

mrm143

Original poster
Member
Feb 29, 2012
42
And now we pop a p0410 code lol
I already found an article so no worries their and wondering if that would be what the cold start fluctuation is as it is still doing that... The other issue has been solved

Can't find any pics as to where the pump and relay are but I do know where the check valve is...
 

mrm143

Original poster
Member
Feb 29, 2012
42
I think I figured it out if this makes sense...
Car turns on cold start... the sai turbine is supposed to run for approx 20 secs approx the same amount of time my volt guage goes nutty...

So..... their has to be an issue with the turbine under the car..creating some type of voltage draw. so that's my next step is to test the fan and backtrack from their...
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
mrm143 said:
Can't find any pics as to where the pump and relay are but I do know where the check valve is...
Relay is next to the pump #6. Sorry I don't have a close up picture of the relay on my truck.

View attachment 19293
 

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 6

STLtrailbSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
1,617
mrm143 said:
I wouldn't mind wasn't bad at all

LOL last off topic post.. on the SS you have to remove the passenger tire to get the farthest plug its a pain
 

woody79

Member
Dec 3, 2011
351
mrm143 said:
And now we pop a p0410 code lol
I already found an article so no worries their and wondering if that would be what the cold start fluctuation is as it is still doing that... The other issue has been solved

Can't find any pics as to where the pump and relay are but I do know where the check valve is...

Hope this helps a little. I did create a thread on the OS regarding this. Here are some pics from it....

This is the pump and relay. Located on the frame rail under the drivers side behind the wheel well.

View attachment 19321

This is the location of the valve

View attachment 19324

Once I had replace the valve I took the old one apart and found out why it wasn't opening.

View attachment 19325

Hope this helps a little.
 

Attachments

  • turbine.JPG
    turbine.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 30
  • engine.JPG
    engine.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 6
  • pump2.JPG
    pump2.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 6
  • valve.JPG
    valve.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 6

mrm143

Original poster
Member
Feb 29, 2012
42
woody79 said:
Hope this helps a little. I did create a thread on the OS regarding this. Here are some pics from it....

This is the pump and relay. Located on the frame rail under the drivers side behind the wheel well.

View attachment 4655

This is the location of the valve

View attachment 4657View attachment 4658

Once I had replace the valve I took the old one apart and found out why it wasn't opening.

View attachment 4659

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks I did search and when it took me to the os most of the pics were deleted
 

woody79

Member
Dec 3, 2011
351
No worries. I think you'll find thats because 90% of the people who posted those pics moved over here :biggrin:
 

mrm143

Original poster
Member
Feb 29, 2012
42
woody79 said:
No worries. I think you'll find thats because 90% of the people who posted those pics moved over here :biggrin:



I understand LOL

So hoping my logic is correct, but truck was to warm this morning after wife took kids to school to test fan... I own a pawn shop and have one of those auto meters here, i guess it's to test relays?? Not sure how it works, but couldnt I hook the fan up to that and it is supposed to supply 12 volts or something?

Just forget I had it LOL, someone pawned it and never came back, it is a "power probe"
 

woody79

Member
Dec 3, 2011
351
mrm143 said:
I understand LOL

So hoping my logic is correct, but truck was to warm this morning after wife took kids to school to test fan... I own a pawn shop and have one of those auto meters here, i guess it's to test relays?? Not sure how it works, but couldnt I hook the fan up to that and it is supposed to supply 12 volts or something?

Just forget I had it LOL, someone pawned it and never came back, it is a "power probe"

lol that figures ... You can remove the SAIS Turbine and put it on a work bench and hook 12v to it to test it. Never done it myself. The Turbine is held to the frame with 3 bolts I believe (not to sure of the size). This will tell you if the turbine is in working order. Your can also just pull the hoses off the turbine and see if any water comes outs as this seems to be a common issue.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,330
Posts
637,989
Members
18,534
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online