RPM Gauge Stop Working

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Im driving on the highway when all of a sudden my rpm gauge drops to 0 and stays there. Anyone have an idea as to why this might be happening. Oh yeah I haven't stopped ir turned the envoy iff yet.

Thanks Dak

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Dakota76 said:
Im driving on the highway when all of a sudden my rpm gauge drops to 0 and stays there. Anyone have an idea as to why this might be happening. Oh yeah I haven't stopped ir turned the envoy iff yet.

Thanks Dak

Anything else in your truck acting funny? Check fuse 22 in the front fuse block and see if it's blown, to start...

Laynlow02

Apr 28, 2012
Could also be the stepper motor. Fairly easy fix if you can solder. I found 6 motors on eBay for about $30.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Agreed. Statistically, it's more likely to be a bad stepper. Change all of them while you're in there, or else you're setting yourself up for future frustration with any of the other gauges.

http://gmtnation.com/f93/how-change-stepper-motor-901/

Hmmmmm, on second thought - by 2007, the steppers had been redesigned, hadn't they? Might be a single bad one. Will be very interested in the part number printed on the stepper when you change it.

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
After I finished driving I restarted but mo good. After it sat for an hour I drove and the rpm works now.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Dakota76 said:
After I finished driving I restarted but mo good. After it sat for an hour I drove and the rpm works now.
Bad steppers can be intermittent. As can PCBs, solder joints, and chips. So the fact that it comes and goes doesn't tell us a lot. Certainly not enough to predict that it will never fail again. :wink:

Flaky electronic systems have given me a very long and interesting career. Long live flaky systems! :cool:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online