Retrofit aux?

warriorpluto

Original poster
Member
Apr 12, 2012
215
I have an 03 envoy base model with regular factory radio. Nothing special except that it has RDS. No mp3 capabilities. How can i get aux on that radio and install an amp and ten inch subwoofer ?
 

Hypnotoad

Member
Dec 5, 2011
1,584
you could get an amp with high level inputs. You would just run regular speaker wires to the amp. This would probably be the easiest way.

Or you could get a high to low line converter. You would run speaker wires to the converter and it would give you a set of RCA outputs.
 

warriorpluto

Original poster
Member
Apr 12, 2012
215
Default User said:
For MP3 or AUX input - the cheapest and easiest way is probably getting an FM transmitter that taps into your radio signal line.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5251_PAC-Audio-AUX-BOX-AUX2CAR.html


For adding an amp and sub
Tap into the rear speakers and connect a Line Out Convertor which then connects the RCA's for your amp.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_26694_Axxess-AX-ADCT2.html

For the auxiliary i dont have a cd changer or xm. Can i still use it?

Hypnotoad said:
you could get an amp with high level inputs. You would just run regular speaker wires to the amp. This would probably be the easiest way.

Or you could get a high to low line converter. You would run speaker wires to the converter and it would give you a set of RCA outputs.

Thanks for the info
 

AbsoluteZero

Member
Nov 21, 2011
211
I used an Audiovox FMM 100a on my 03 Envoy. shown on Amazon Amazon.com: Audiovox FM100A FM Modulator with IST2 Isolation Transformer (Grey): Electronics I bought one on ebay for $30 but it's no longer listed.
It needs a 12v supply. When 12v power is ON the aux. input connects through the radio's antenna input. When OFF the radio works as normal. So I needed a switch.
A couple things I had to consider. The units output is via RCA jacks. Most likely you'll want the 3.5 mm jack so I had to buy a RCA to 3.5 mm cable on ebay. Fairly cheap. Also I had to adapt the GM antenna coax connectors to the units connectors. Again these adapters are available via ebay.
Not ideal but not much choice with the non-xm radio on the 03's system.
Bottom line is it's function isn't dependant on having a CD player or XM radio.
 

warriorpluto

Original poster
Member
Apr 12, 2012
215
AbsoluteZero said:
I used an Audiovox FMM 100a on my 03 Envoy. shown on Amazon Amazon.com: Audiovox FM100A FM Modulator with IST2 Isolation Transformer (Grey): Electronics I bought one on ebay for $30 but it's no longer listed.
It needs a 12v supply. When 12v power is ON the aux. input connects through the radio's antenna input. When OFF the radio works as normal. So I needed a switch.
A couple things I had to consider. The units output is via RCA jacks. Most likely you'll want the 3.5 mm jack so I had to buy a RCA to 3.5 mm cable on ebay. Fairly cheap. Also I had to adapt the GM antenna coax connectors to the units connectors. Again these adapters are available via ebay.
Not ideal but not much choice with the non-xm radio on the 03's system.
Bottom line is it's function isn't dependant on having a CD player or XM radio.

I was just looking at those. Was trying to avoid using the FM modulator. How does yours sound? Is the quality good?
 

AbsoluteZero

Member
Nov 21, 2011
211
warriorpluto said:
I was just looking at those. Was trying to avoid using the FM modulator. How does yours sound? Is the quality good?

Sound will be as good as any good FM station. Being direct connect there's no bleed over from nearby stations. Choices were limited for the 02's and 03's unless you want to install a new head unit. I couldn't find an adapter to retain the rear seat audio jacks if I were to install a new unit. Grand daughter likes "her" music!

I did find adding tweeters, in the dash grill location used if you have a Bose setup, really liven up the stock radio. I wired these in parallel with the front door speakers: Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB1001 1-Inch Silk/Polymer Composite Dome Tweeters (Pair, Black): Automotive
 

Hypnotoad

Member
Dec 5, 2011
1,584
This is what I used for an auxillary input. It's real easy to install and it sounds good too. Much better than FM modulation.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QBG614/?tag=gmtnation-20

The only problem I ran into was that I needed 2 adapters for the odd sized GM antenna. I paid more for adapters than I paid for the device since I bought them locally. If I had known before hand, I could have found the adapters online much cheaper.
 

AbsoluteZero

Member
Nov 21, 2011
211
Hypnotoad said:
This is what I used for an auxillary input. It's real easy to install and it sounds good too. Much better than FM modulation.

Scosche FM-MOD02 Universal Audio Input FM Modulator for iPod, Satellite Radio or Portable Music Player:Amazon:MP3 Players & Accessories

Maybe I'm reading the description wrong but isn't this an FM adapter? It's direct wired but still uses FM frequencies. BTW it's a good price and appears to include the 3.5 mm plug. I had to buy one for the Audiovox.
 

Hypnotoad

Member
Dec 5, 2011
1,584
You're right. It technically is a FM modulator, but it's hard wired. It sounds much better than a wireless FM modulator. You tune your radio to the same station that is set on the unit, just like a regular modulator.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,229
Posts
637,063
Members
18,390
Latest member
jgriff

Members Online